It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Foul Odor Wafts in on CA. coast. Unknown cause

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Apparently a foul odor is coming in from the ocean. Fire officials said it is a "natural process", but the cause is still unknown
I noticed there was a 4.3 eq as well I will check more into that.. Story is still breaking.
www.nbclosangeles.com...

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by thesmokingman

So I guess the fire dept. is saying its a natural process, but the cause is unknown? How does that work?

A foul odor that wafted in from the Santa Monica Bay on Sunday was the result of a natural process in the ocean, the Los Angeles Fire Department said. The cause of the smell, however, was not yet clear by mid-morning, spokesman Brian Humphreys said in a news release.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
The 4.3 EQ was well north, so probably no connection. I know California has a lot of volcanoes. However the odor is coming from the ocean so also probably no connection. Any locals from so. california know what this could possibly be? Could this be related to the manta rays that were found washed up last week? ETA: never mind, that was a different ocean

edit on 3-3-2013 by thesmokingman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   

It could be from a huge school of dead fish. Sardines and anchovies form such large schools, tightly packed. They literally run out of oxygen and die in massive amounts. Having lived a better portion of my life on the N. Ca. Coast...we did have this happen almost seasonally. Sure made the boat docks a messy and foul smelling place to be.

Des

edit on 3-3-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Dead kelp?
Whale farts?

I've been to the beach at Santa Monica. That water is not something I would willingly enter.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Although this is only one example, I can recall so many threads where residents have smelled foul odors from the Gulf states as well as those close to the bigger faultlines.

Do you recall the recent ones from California? Not too long ago and they never panned out to be anything significant as far as we know.

Anyway, here is one link:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Cthulhu has a bad tummy and is passing gas.

You don't need to worry unless he gets out of bed. :-)

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Here is an article from last year about a similar odor that was coming up even the drain pipes in peoples homes. The cause was apparently warm temps. and bacteria.
www.swrnn.com...

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Foul, Gas-Like Oder in So Cal\

I made a thread on this back in 2012...

Seems to be reacurring.

At about 5:30 p.m., the woman parked at San Dieguito County Park and took a photo of what she believes is some kind of aerosol compound she says fell from the sky and coated her car windows.

"I tried to wipe it and it was black and sticky and tried to put my window down and it smeared," she said. She is convinced it was gas that was dispersing something with an oil component.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Dead kelp?
Whale farts?

I've been to the beach at Santa Monica. That water is not something I would willingly enter.

My mother-in law just moved their

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   

San F Earthquake

Also, according to Edgar Larkin (1906), who collected a great many accounts, the odour of hydrogen sulphide was noted in the area of Sausalito. He also reported that sulfurous odors were pungent in Napa County during the night of the 17th and 18th before the upheaval, and lasted all day. . . . From many of the letters it is clear that the entire region north and east of San Francisco is saturated with gases of sulfur origin. . . . In Santa Rosa, according to Lawson and others (1908), a strong smell of sulphur had been noticed two days before the earthquake by one Charles Kobes. Since during an earthquake eight years previously, "sulfur fumes came up from under his house which almost drove his family from home", the recurrence of this phenomenon on 16 April 1906 caused Kobes to tell his family that there would be another earthquake.

earthchanges.ning.com...

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

So could be a sign of a significant EQ to come. Possibly within a few days. I will keep an eye on it myself.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Only in the sense that fish feel the magnetics, and run away.... Enough run away in one direction, steals oxygen, and they die en mass = stench.

However there could be other reasons for this, such as nasty earth farts escaping from the ocean. Big, thick sulfur bubbles...

Not directly a signifier of earthquakes, but the probabilities for what is causing this stench have been linked to earquakes for sure.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 05:26 AM
link   
This one is just in on my mobile phone RSOE EDIS alert.

They say a large amount of methane might have been released in the bay.

I've read quite some reports like these during the past few weeks, looks like a vast increase in geological activity on a global scale.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 05:42 AM
link   
It's Pelosi, Feinstein and Boxer in a sailboat off shore.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

San F Earthquake

Also, according to Edgar Larkin (1906), who collected a great many accounts, the odour of hydrogen sulphide was noted in the area of Sausalito. He also reported that sulfurous odors were pungent in Napa County during the night of the 17th and 18th before the upheaval, and lasted all day. . . . From many of the letters it is clear that the entire region north and east of San Francisco is saturated with gases of sulfur origin. . . . In Santa Rosa, according to Lawson and others (1908), a strong smell of sulphur had been noticed two days before the earthquake by one Charles Kobes. Since during an earthquake eight years previously, "sulfur fumes came up from under his house which almost drove his family from home", the recurrence of this phenomenon on 16 April 1906 caused Kobes to tell his family that there would be another earthquake.

earthchanges.ning.com...

IMO... and don't take this for gospel... I don't know, of course, for sure. With that in mind:

You are being warned.... I would advise anyone in Calif. to take a week vacation somewhere else in the country.... Just to be safe. You might lose a week's pay... but you might be saving your life.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Caveat: This post is for entertainment purposes only. It holds no legal weight. I do not give advice to people as to how or where they should live or take vacation. The choice of where you live or take vacation is solely based on your own risk and assessment of the current situations in your own life. You bear the total consequence as such. I will not be held liable for either good or bad consequences as a result.
edit on 4/3/2013 by MarkJS because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   

This must be the clincher ! I mean if people in Santa Monica are putting up with a foul odor ? Things just don't get much worse.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarkJS

Originally posted by Char-Lee

San F Earthquake

earthchanges.ning.com...

IMO... and don't take this for gospel... I don't know, of course, for sure. With that in mind:

You are being warned.... I would advise anyone in Calif. to take a week vacation somewhere else in the country.... Just to be safe. You might lose a week's pay... but you might be saving your life.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Caveat: This post is for entertainment purposes only. It holds no legal weight. I do not give advice to people as to how or where they should live or take vacation. The choice of where you live or take vacation is solely based on your own risk and assessment of the current situations in your own life. You bear the total consequence as such. I will not be held liable for either good or bad consequences as a result.
edit on 4/3/2013 by MarkJS because: (no reason given)

The problem is is we left for a week, chances are the event would take place the night we return! if we here rich we would leave no doubt, and I do feel we have been warned in numerous ways both by nature and officials.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by thesmokingman
reply to post by Char-Lee

So could be a sign of a significant EQ to come. Possibly within a few days. I will keep an eye on it myself.

I have a bit of a mystery here. we have a lot of spiders on the coast Norther California. Suddenly this year in the winter I realized that there were zero spiders. There were none in the wood pile even when I reached the bottom of the pile, none in the shed none coming in on the wood and ending up in the bathroom. No eggs, no new webs and no spiders anywhere.

I can't seem to find any info on why, the weather is changing yes, but it is still mild here compared to most places, 50-60F and when it gets cold in the 40's, we have a few frost per winter. it has not been very wet. If I lift an old board there should be spiders there are none.

it is normal for a spider to put a web at the corner of every outside door, I endlessly have removed the webs for 15 years...where are they!?

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Methane from ocean blamed for odor

Methane odor in Santa Monica

Officials say a foul stench in Santa Monica over was probably caused by a large release of methane in the ocean. Fire departments in Los Angeles and Santa Monica began receiving calls shortly after dawn on Sunday from Sunset Blvd. south to Venice Beach. A Santa Monica fire hazmat team took readings off the coast near San Vicente Blvd., and found methane in the water.

Warming waters or shifting of the plates are to blame for causing a large plume to release. I'd say there's been a lot of imbalance on the crust of the earth and we're seeing a lot of this. Two sinkholes in that town in Florida where the guy sank in his bedroom, and then reports of earth shaking down in Naples, FL. This is probably the same thing, the earth's crust is moving all over the place and at the same time this is causing fractures down below that are releasing these large plumes of gas which are causing mass animal die-offs. The cause of the plates moving is the weight pressure from rising waters due to permafrost melt and Arctic ice melt. A chain reaction that's already been discussed in this thread. More proof will continue coming to light and the media will have a harder time ignoring it as it does.

And to the poster previous to this one about the spiders. I saw a news report a couple of weeks ago that there are over 200 species on earth going extinct every day! Pretty scary stuff. Now not only are the honeybees disappearing, so are the bumble bees. Over 90% of bats have disappeared. This is probably the same phenomenon with your spiders as well. When will attention be paid to these things that's deserved from our government, science and the media?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join