learn more

Elderly Woman Dies After Nurse Refuses to Give Her CPR

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

The common reply phrase here could be, 'Obamacare' but... truth be told, we've been headed down this dark ally for a while now.

Healthcare is no longer about health. It is about money because we have allowed both parties to place a monetary sum upon human life.

My personal physician began seeing uninsured people a few years ago, charging them a flat rate that doesn't include the cost that the health insurance industry tacks on to cover their own expenses. He is now so often overbooked with people that he finally had to stop taking new patients.

This is just one horribly sad example of what our nation has come to. There are many others and the moment we set aside the putrid polarizing politics of the day, we might see it for what it really is.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC

I hope the family sues the hell out of the facility and the nurse for failing to save this person's life. There are things called Good Samaritan laws that would have protected this nurse from getting in trouble.
This is what our world has become, trained professionals refusing to do what theyre trained for, over stupid policies.

I'm utterly sick and disgusted.

Homer it is disgusting, but when you dig a bit deeper, the facility had protocols in effect which prevented any employee from rendering the care. They had to wait for the emergency crews. They would have put their jobs on the line if they did it. Although some of us would have done it anyway, times are perilous economically, and that could have been a factor.

BT

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   

This is how buisnesses make profits, by abusing society.

Its like a republicans wet dream... letting someone die at your feet because its not your job.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I see some agree that the good samaritan laws don't protect enough. Some think that there is legal problems involved. Others suspect that there is a DNR, but with no concrete proof backing that up.

There was one reply that made me very nervous. That the family should sue the nurse for not giving treatment. I think this is the kind of thinking that might have caused the problems in the first place.

But, I might also add some additional confusement into the equation. Do you know how many Americans die from bad healthcare? If the nurse had intervened, she might have faced manslaughter charges.

I think America needs to rethink what profession their politicians have. Today only lawyers and businessmen are politicians. You need people with background from other professions. Like more doctors. Maybe not more Dr. Ron Pauls, but more people from healthcare would be a welcome addition to your congress. Maybe even throw in some teachers there as well.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

My last comment here on this subject, has to be this...

First, assuming that the woman on duty and noted in the record was a 'nurse'... as in, RN. I also understand about Hospice and DNR but, to date, I have seen nothing related.

Under these circumstances:

>We are born human beings before we are doctors or nurses.
>We are doctors or nurses before we are employees of anyone.

At what point do we discard human life for anything... even a paycheck?

Done.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
when i learned cpr the teacher said cpr is useless and never works. its only purpose is to make you feel usefull until someone takes the body away.
edit on 3-3-2013 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf

This is how buisnesses make profits, by abusing society.

Its like a republicans wet dream... letting someone die at your feet because its not your job.

count on someone to come in and make it about politics and totally IGNORE common sense........especially w out knowing the whole story.......

pat yourself on the back and pardon me while i go vomit
edit on 3-3-2013 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Rikku

Great teacher. Personally I am 8 saves out of 11 attempts. Granted these are in the hospital/icu setting, but 8 people that were "dead" lived another day. Most of them were fine after the experience, but a couple, even though technically alive would have been better off just to have expired during the cpr.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC

A 911 dispatcher pleaded with a nurse at a Bakersfield, Calif., senior living facility to save the life of an elderly woman by giving her CPR, but the nurse said policy did not allow her to, according to a newly released audiotape of the call. “Is there anybody there that’s willing to help this lady and not let her die?” the dispatcher asked in a recording of the 911 call released by the Bakersfield Fire Department. “Not at this time,” the nurse said.

Story & video

As a former EMT, this makes me sick and my blood boil. A NURSE, trained to SAVE LIVES, refuses to perform CPR on a patient who is lying DYING AT HER FEET due to some 'policy' the facility has.
If theyre not supposed to assist or save a life, what the HELL ARE THEY THERE FOR???

I hope the family sues the hell out of the facility and the nurse for failing to save this person's life. There are things called Good Samaritan laws that would have protected this nurse from getting in trouble.
This is what our world has become, trained professionals refusing to do what theyre trained for, over stupid policies.

I'm utterly sick and disgusted.

I think you will find the number of people sued for not doing something is Zero. The number of cases where somebody has helped but the outcome was not perfect is much greater than zero!

Don't blame policy blame all the morons over the years who have sued the good samaritans.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Our local news rag (The Bakersfield Californian) has plenty of updates on this. Note paywall, you get a certain number of articles free unless you block everything but the main site with noscript.

1. There was no DNR order with the paperwork supplied to EMS by the facility, per the fire department.
2. This is a big national chain of senior facilities. You sign over your house to them and they look after you for as long as you live. Business is business.
3. The woman's daughter has said several times that she's satisfied with the care her mother received. Be nice to your kids, they'll be choosing your nursing home.
4. It wasn't actually a nursing home, though there is one on the same site. This particular location was more of an apartment scenario with dining and laundry service.
5. The nurse who refused CPR wasn't working as a nurse, but as an activities coordinator or something like that.
6. CPR: If you're not breaking ribs, you're doing it wrong. You're 87 years old, your lungs and maybe other organs have been lacerated by your broken ribs, and you're now in ICU with a tube down your throat, another in your chest, IVs, catheters, and dog knows what else. And you maybe went without oxygen long enough to damage your brain. Odds of returning to an independent life after that? Think about it.

On the one hand, the nurse's behavior on the phone was despicable. I wanted to cry when I heard the 911 tape. On the other hand, we all die eventually. If you're 87 and too frail to live in your own home, even if you're not yet frail enough to require assisted living or nursing home care, it's time to think about a DNR and a living will. Better to expire peacefully in the dining room than weeks and hundreds of thousands of dollars later in an ICU.

More: There's now talk of a police investigation. Also, the company has a pending application for a license as a continuing care home. I wonder if this incident will have a bearing on their application. Ya think?

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Why bother to staff "nurses" if they cant perform CPR? Why not just hire "orderlies" which are cheaper? I hope that they clearly told the family of their "policies" ahead of time. It isnt just the policy that is disturbing it is the complete apathetic attitude of the nurse on the phone with the 911 dispatcher (who was actively trying to save the woman's life and even asked to give the phone to a bystander for her to instruct). Sad. I once gave CPR to a woman who had a heart attack in a pool....the paramedics arrived with in minutes (I called for someone to call 911 as I started CPR) the paramedics came and tried to revive her with the paddles and oxygen and took her to the ER where she was pronounced dead. A cop called me later and told me that my efforts could not have saved her as she had serious heart disease (arterioclerosis) and that her heart basically "exploded" (his words). I could actually feel when she died....it felt a real cold sensation even tho it was about 87degrees out at the time.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Rikku

Your teacher couldn't be more wrong. I personally witnessed my mother give CPR (she's certified as she works in a school) and revive a little boy who turned out to have an irregular heartbeat which led to it ceasing. Doctor said had my mother not physically pumped that heart, he would either be dead or brain damaged.
That said, how can a human being, let alone a frikkin' nurse, just stand there and watch another human being die? It seems so in-humane. The nurse should be charged with voluntary manslaughter as she refused to help a dying woman EVEN THOUGH SHE'S A DAMN NURSE AND THE DISPATCHER BEGGED HER! Jeez I cannot stress that enough. The lady didn't even seem willing to have someone else help her, as if she just wanted to watch this poor old womans last moments. She needs to be fired anyway for this. I can't stop myself, but how disgusting of an individual do you have to be to put money before humanity. I'm not even close to being certified but you better believe I would've been pumping that heart until medics arrived. I wouldn't hit a girl, but I might have to change my 'policy' on that one.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join