learn more

What is TRUE freedom?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope
When one has to choose, he is still limited by the amount of things he can choose between. How is that true freedom?

Because regardless of how many things there are to choose from, you can still make a choice. There can be three things or even two to choose from, but that builds your character, the more choices you have the more character/individuality you have - yes, but to say NO choice is freedom is an absolute lie.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

To be WITHOUT priniples is being of a certain principle one could say, not? I don't know what principle, for it is none, yet a principle..

Not a principle of the head, but one of the complete body.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

To have no choices others can witness.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

yes, but to say NO choice is freedom is an absolute lie

Not having to make choices is freedom. Saying that being bound to the obligation to choose is freedom is utter stupidity.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

Originally posted by LesMisanthrope

Not having to make choices is freedom. Saying that being bound to the obligation to choose is freedom is utter stupidity.

Not having to make choices is freedom of responsibility - yes, but freedom of INDIVIDUALITY freedom to mend yourself into who you wish to be by building up your character through choices, that cannot exist without experience (consciousness)...

reply to post by Angle

Originally posted by Angle
To be WITHOUT priniples is being of a certain principle one could say, not? I don't know what principle, for it is none, yet a principle..

Not a principle of the head, but one of the complete body.

To turn off the TV is still a TV channel, right?

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

What are we in need of a TV for here?

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Angle

It was an analogy. You said being WITHOUT principle is a principle, and to compare, I said being WITHOUT a TV channel is still a TV channel...

I said that to show how that statement was incorrect...

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

I thought about this a lot during the past months because of the gun debate. People argued that having the right to own firearms is freedom. Freedom of choice sure but that's not true freedom. The way I see it the thing that drags all of us down and make us feel trapped is fear. The people that shout the loudest about freedom are usually the most fearful people too, conservatives for example. Their entire philosophy is based on fear of change. True freedom is living without fear.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   
What is true freedom? It is "unobtainable"...... At least in most of the present societies around the globe.
edit on 4-3-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

I know, but in the analogy, we need to own the TV for it to be on the channel that is not altered, so to be able to alter any channel we want.
edit on 4-3-2013 by Angle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

What is TRUE freedom?

That's a good question and one with a million answers.

In my personal opinion, freedom is... first and foremost, to be allowed to live your life as you choose. Of course, this also comes with taking personal responsibility for your actions so that others will not feel endowed with any right to interfere in the same. In short, I live my life and so long as that doesn't cross over and create a burden on anyone else, then there is no reason for anyone to try and tell me that I have to live by someone else's standards.

Freedom is also being able to function outside, in public, without interference. For instance, I am driving to the grocery store and the state has set up a traffic stop. I produce my driving permit, papers on the vehicle and the pointless proof of insurance. I should be able to go on my way unhindered. If the force operating the checkpoint wants to search my vehicle without explanation or due cause, then that is an intrusion on my liberty. The old - 'If you have nothing to hide, then you shouldn't mind allowing the search' - is really no different than another excuse used over 200 years ago; - 'If you are a loyal subject of the King, you shouldn't mind quartering his troops in your home'.

Freedom is being able to live without fear of the state or of the corporate. While we often talk about Big Brother government, we neglect Big Brother business. As it stands right now, special interest buy laws as they wish and the result is that employers, insurance and government have more access to your information than you yourself do. This is not freedom. This is a form of theft.

Freedom is a two-way street when it comes to faith.
Freedom is being able to worship as one chooses... or not at all, if one so chooses.
Freedom is being able to celebrate a holiday like Christmas without having a manger scene on your own property vandalized by thugs who hate religion.
Freedom is being able to go to work on Christmas, if possible, without someone harassing you for NOT observing this holiday.

Freedom is being able to buy a 24oz soda pop on ice.
Freedom is being able to avoid breathing the tobacco smoke of others when in a public place.
Freedom is the right to smoke in one's own home or automobile.

Freedom is owning a firearm and using it for any purpose that cause no harm to your fellow, law abiding citizens.

Freedom is a hickory fire with ribs cooking slowly.
Freedom is a cold beer on a hot day while looking after those ribs.

Freedom is a lot of things... all of them worth defending.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

So long as you dont hurt anyone else, do as you will

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Virole
reply to post by arpgme

So long as you dont hurt anyone else, do as you will

Not letting anything hurt yourself.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
True freedom is Nirvana

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Freedom needs space.

I don't mean outer space, yet I do too. Whatever space..

To have all the space one needs... or can have. = freedom.

Just a view as addition.

To be free,.. without boundaries. One is possible to be free with boundaries, but this prolly isn't total freedom. Yet he is free within his boundaries. But we do not prefer that don't we.

For perfect freedom one must FEEL free too. Perfect freedom can be within boundaries.

Just some thoughts as addition.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
True freedom is freedom from sin. In the personal sense, freedom from all those things that control emotional impetus and leave us wasting energy on the negative and in the collective socioeconomic sense, freedom from the the sin of those that seek to control us.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Angle

One can feel "free" while being a slave also. There is a quote that says something like, the best slaves are those who do not see the chains holding them down. This is why I didn't include emotions.

I like your idea that freedom is space though, unfortunately this leads to a sad conclusion. The reason why freedom equals space is because we cannot be 100% comfortable around others as we can by being alone and this is why we need "Privacy" (Space). I agree with you here, but it is pretty sad how much people are urged to hide their honesty / true feelings.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
There is too much thought placed on the ideal of 'Freedom'. Freedom isn't attainable because it is always with us. You may believe that you are being enslaved and forced to do something, may it be an external or internal reason. You have manifested the causation of all events that appear in your life. It may be created consciously and unconsciously. The perfect example of freedom is water, it is surrendering but persistent. It flows wherever it can and whenever it can without anything stopping it. This is why we surrendering is not losing to someone who forced us to do something, it is a property that can and will conquer all things. Even if it sacrifices the individuals Ideal of 'Freedom', if you do not believe surrendering is not being free look at how much of the earth is covered in water.

When there is too much thought into freedom, lava has probably flown into the water and harden into a rock. Take contemplation and meditation into freedom. Then you will start to flow wherever you may be or wherever your higher heart decides to take you, that is freedom.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by teapot
True freedom is freedom from sin.

That's pure sh*t man

No, really, clever man!!

-edit-
ah, I edited for I thought you would interpretate it the wrong way. With pure, I really mean 'pure', like bright and clear. Pure. and with the 's' word I meant really good stuff.

And then I went on saying that was really deep and really good!
edit on 7-3-2013 by Angle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Reply to post by arpgme

Freedom from dirty politics and politicians.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join