It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sharia gives a woman half the inheritance as that to a man

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
This is a fact in Qur'an and completely true!
A daughter gets half of what a son would get from what the father/mother left behind.

Qur'an 4:11: "Allah enjoins you
about [the share of
inheritance of] your
children: A male's
share shall equal that
of two females -- in case there are only
daughters, more than
two shall have two-
thirds of what has
been left behind. And
if there be only one daughter, her share
shall be half -- and if
the deceased has
children, the parents
shall inherit a sixth
each, and if he has no children and the
parents are his heirs
then his mother shall
receive a third, and if
he has brothers and
sisters then the mother's share is the
same one-sixth.
[These shares shall
be distributed] after
carrying out any will
made by the deceased or payment
of any debt owed by
him (the deceased).
You know not who
among your children
and your parents are nearest to you in
benefit. This is the
law of Allah. Indeed
Allah is wise, all
knowing."

But now, this is only half the picture.

The other half is,
The complete responsibility of women(mother, sisters, wife) and children is on the man.
He has to provide for them out of what he earns and inherits

4:34, "(Husbands) are the protectors and
maintainers of their (wives)
because Allah has given the one
more than the other, and
because they support them from
their means."

A woman also gets a bridal due, some decided amount of money from the husband at the time of nikah(marriage) and its hers to use the way she wants.

(4:4) Give women their bridal-due in good cheer (considering it a duty); but if they willingly remit any part of it, consume it with good pleasure.

Now,
A man gets a share with the responsiblity of the entire family also gives a bridal-due.

A woman gets half the share responsibility free!
The woman may earn and is not obliged by sharia to spend even a dime on family or even herself and husband cant force her as he would be going against sharia.

So what are your opinions about this full picture?

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by logical7

I can't get my head around all that religious mumbo jumbo. Do you think this is a good thing or a bad thing? I'm asking because what I could decipher is that women get less money but less responsiblity in the package.

The men get more money but sole responsibilty of the family? What would you say is a better deal?

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
IMO , some of the wars that may get started here will be that people think men and women are the same creature with same specification which is not true materially and spiritually.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by mideast

Both human dude....

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Wide-Eyes

I'm with you, my head starts spinning.

I'm not even sure what difference this makes, none of this applies in the US.

Everyone here has to abide by our laws regardless of their individual faith.

edit on 3-3-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes
reply to post by logical7

I can't get my head around all that religious mumbo jumbo. Do you think this is a good thing or a bad thing? I'm asking because what I could decipher is that women get less money but less responsiblity in the package.

The men get more money but sole responsibilty of the family? What would you say is a better deal?

Women get half money NO responsibility.
Men double and full responsibility,
mathemetically if the responsibilities+bridal-due are more than half of what a man gets then a woman is better off!

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I love reading the reasoning and justifications for making another human being less than equal.

One would have thought we'd be past that in the 21st Century. Nothing much changes though, I suppose.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by mideast
IMO , some of the wars that may get started here will be that people think men and women are the same creature with same specification which is not true materially and spiritually.

That's right. They ought to stay in the kitchen or the bedroom, and not bother themselves with the matters of men, such as on the internet or in public.

To claim they're equal, what a western satanic view.

Allah made them inferior, because it compliments the strong manly nature of man.

It just is.

right? am I right??

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Women!

Next thing the dames will be asking for is the right to vote, or the right to an education!

*snort*

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I'd wager that they think that the freedom that women have here to be just as distasteful as we do of their practices.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
OMG Islam doesn't see women as equal to men. So all the other religions treat women as equal to men huh. Just another lame attempt to bash Islam and not a very good one at that.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Isn't that pointing to the wrongs of other religions or cultures to justify the treatment of women as something less than equal to men? I wouldn't argue how women have historically been treated poorly by many cultures. However, this was about a specific instance of it. The relativism to justify almost anything these days is kinda scary?

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Isn't that pointing to the wrongs of other religions or cultures to justify the treatment of women as something less than equal to men? I wouldn't argue how women have historically been treated poorly by many cultures. However, this was about a specific instance of it. The relativism to justify almost anything these days is kinda scary?

Why just point out one religion? To be fair shouldn't the OP have pointed out how all the religions treat women instead of just Islam?

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Well, that's fair on one hand. On the other though, is every OP pointing out injustice or inequality required to show all examples of it, on all relevant sides for context or balance? We'd have books being written around here more than OPs, wouldn't we? lol...

I take your point on the treatment of women, I honestly do. The Roman Catholic Church would be a religious example of women having very firm lines they can't go beyond. Southern Baptists can be...more direct about it. None justify the other though. They may well look to each other as support for the basis of doing it themselves though. Collective blame for collective guilt leaves no one to blame and nothing changes.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
Why just point out one religion? To be fair shouldn't the OP have pointed out how all the religions treat women instead of just Islam?

Dude ... the OP is Muslim.

And he can start a subject on whatever he wants.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by logical7
The complete responsibility of women(mother, sisters, wife) and children is on the man. He has to provide for them out of what he earns and inherits .... So what are your opinions about this full picture?

1 - Its trying to justify a bunch of misogynistic bunk.

2 - Its ASSUMING that the man will actually take care of all those women .. and the truth is that many don't.

3 - It's ASSUMING that a man could do a better job in managing finances .. and the truth is that many can't.

4 - It's ASSUMING that a woman isn't as smart as a man when it comes to earning a living ... and the truth is that many women are as smart or smarter than the men.

5 - It's ASSUMING that a woman requires being 'taken care of' when in fact women are very capable of receiving an education and taking care of themselves ... they don't 'need a man'. (unless the men are holding the women down with neanderthal like rules from 1500 years ago ... then those poor women are stuck).

6 - Bottom line ... it's just men robbing women of their independence all in an effort to continue to keep control over women. It reeks of men being afraid of women.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I love reading the reasoning and justifications for making another human being less than equal.

One would have thought we'd be past that in the 21st Century. Nothing much changes though, I suppose.

men and women are equal in islam. Equal but with different responsibilities to make a harmonious society, in simple words division of labour especially when the next generation's future is at stake. A wife doesnt have to even cook but she plays a pivotal role in raising kids and the husband gives time but never as important as a mom's role.
A muslim wife realises this and the husband is grateful for it.

link   
My thoughts are that each couple should have the freedom to determine what their roles and responsibilities are in their personal relationship. It's no one's business but their own.

Each couple is different. What place does religion have to dictate ANYTHING about personal relationships?

I'm not one who supports religious law at all, whether it be Islam, Christianity or Judaism, unless all people involved have freely chosen to participate in it.

Is religious law fair? Of course not! Religion has never been fair. But I don't have any more of a negative judgment about Sharia law than I do Canon Law. I won't participate in either.

link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by buster2010

Dude ... the OP is Muslim.

And he can start a subject on whatever he wants.

So what if he's Muslim. All religions treat women differently than men.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

FF, their society, not ours. See my post above.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join