Dr. James Gilligan On Violence and Prison

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Found this video after hearing about this doctor from the Joe Rogan experience podcast, which i highly recommend by the way. Here is the video...

He basically states that society with social and economic inequality tend to be more violent. He says that the homicide rate goes up with the rate of inequality. Hes basically saying that our country (USA) has the highest rates of violence and murder because we have the highest degree of economic inequality.

Im curious as to the WHY. Does it have to do with the social prejudiced people feel or the competitive nature of humans that put them into a violent mindset?
edit on 3-3-2013 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

Here is another video about how the prison system is not a solution to our problems....

He talks about that punishment does not inhibit violence. He says that punishment is the most powerful stimulant of violence. WOW. Hes saying our prison system creates more violence then it stops. I agree after my experience in jail.

Here is another one on love and the soul....

He says that love is food for the soul...... This guy has the right perspective. He says that without oxygen the body cannot survive and in prison you are cut off from love as the body from oxygen and the soul dies. He explains that this is why people kill each other in prison.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
He or I are apparently on different planets. Literally. The U.S. has the highest inequality?! Has he ever been to the Philippines? Indonesia? Perhaps just Mexico City on an average day. How about Rio, for the upcoming Olympics? There are few things in the world as stark as the difference between the slums of Rio and the upper class living in many areas.

I'm afraid whatever decent message he may have carried...got lost in the leap to another instance of America bashing with hyperbole. We;re FAR FAR from the worst in this world for inequality and we are NOT the most violent culture. We have the highest incarceration in the world but then, look at the crap they call a felony and mandatory min. prison sentences for. Violence isn't even known to many in prison until they GOT there.

Oh well.. Just my two cents.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

I don't have time right now to watch the videos so I will give them a whirl later, but let me riddle you this: If socio-economic inequality is the root of violence and murder how do you explain rich people who commit acts of violence and murder? You may not hear about these acts as often due to their "connections" that can a lot of times keep these acts out of the MSM- but they happen quite frequently.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

I think hes more proposing that its not the sole responsibility of it but plays a roll in how widespread it is.

join