It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video from Tikaboo Peak of Groom Lake (Feb 2013)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by mlever1

I don't believe the glideslope is hidden. The problem is it is not as visible as the localizer. I have a good idea where it is located, but can't really say for sure.

I really don't see an issue for at 14 ILS. It would be kind of hard to position the plane for the 3% slope since it would have to fly much of the NTS. But it looks doable. There is even some junk out in that direction that could be the outer marker. But there certainly is no localizer for 14. Depending on how long of an approach for 14, the plane could be seen from Rachel, and the engine noise would be aimed in that direction.

All the Janet landings I have watched are "hot dog" free zones. A safe flight to Groom Lake doesn't look particularly easy. They start at around 14k and have to descend to 5k, with local hills in the 7K to 8k range. I don't think it is dangerous, but you wouldn't want to screw around either. Any "event" is hard to explain, such as the Beech crash by the TTR that originated from another location or something to that effect.

I've had email "conversations" with people who swear they can see landings at Groom from the dirt patch near Queen City Summit. I don't have the spot market, but when you head south on the ET Highway from the Cedar Gate, you can see a small patch of dirt by the road where you can pull off. It isn't all that much off the road! Maybe 37°44'37.92"N 115°56'11.37"W trolling Google Earth. Now you can see lights out that way at some altitude, but if you use binocs, there is a road leading from a "threat" in your line of sight. I've been at the spot and listened to the Janets land on the scanner and saw nothing.

<< 1   >>

join