It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Book Review: 1984 by George Orwell

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2003 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I have to say that I've just recently came across this book. I just finished reading the first chapter, and ohh my god people. That's some scary s***!!. I dont want you guys to spoil it for me, but what are your thoughts on it?

posted on May, 9 2003 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Do not come back to ATS until you finish reading it, then read Animal Farm. Then you will be able to understand what we are saying much better. Without revealing anything? Doubleplusgood.

XAOS

posted on May, 9 2003 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grommer
I have to say that I've just recently came across this book. I just finished reading the first chapter, and ohh my god people. That's some scary s***!!. I dont want you guys to spoil it for me, but what are your thoughts on it?

Welcome to reality is my view

posted on May, 9 2003 @ 10:02 PM
link   
well im reading some of it tonight!!!

posted on May, 9 2003 @ 10:03 PM
link   
ive not read, any of them yet, animal farm or 1984 but in about 10 minutes im going to read as much of 1984 till i get tired!!

posted on May, 9 2003 @ 10:15 PM
link   
1984, unlike alot of other so called books of greatb seers, is prophecy and insight.

Read it and see whats going on. Right now, more than any media utlet could inform you.

posted on May, 10 2003 @ 12:14 AM
link   
If 1984 seizes you, do read some of the essay, journalism and non-fiction, and this will help you see what formed Orwell's ideas.

posted on May, 10 2003 @ 12:16 AM
link   
As a rough and ready guide, Orwell began by noting the rottenness of Empire ( Burmese days), was attracted to the Left, learnt the rottenness of that (Homage to Catalonia), and finally saw how very similar those who wield absolute power are to one anther. (End of A.F.)

posted on May, 10 2003 @ 12:18 AM
link   
For Estragon, perhaps the single most effective image is when O Brien offers Winston an image of the future: a jackboot stamping on a human face for all eternity.

posted on May, 10 2003 @ 02:35 AM
link   
If you enjoyed "1984" then I recomend that you read "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley.Huxley is less interested in political structure and instead draws his future reality from the divisions between a scientific civilised world and a "backward" uncivilised one.We can see many aspects of this vision today too,especially in the accessability of expensive drugs.

posted on May, 10 2003 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I dont know what it is, but something about reading that first chapter just really got to me. I've never ever before in my life related to a book like this. It's incredible. So for Estragon or anyone else. Do you see Orwells ideas about all of this as how both sides politically pretty much suck and they only further divide and conquer the people? I mean, it really freaked me out with the Two Minutes Hate thing. How they portray this guy as a total monster and menace and puts people in trances. I almost see that happening in our media. Once we have a so called 'monster' we automatically decide that they need to be taken out. Can anyone tell me more info about the author? Sure I could go and and google it, but I come to ATS for the opinions of it's members

posted on May, 10 2003 @ 03:44 AM
link   
George Orwell's real name was Eric Blair.He was born in India in 1903,his father was a civil servant there.Orwell attended Eton in 1917.He joined the Indian Imperial Police in 1922 he resigned in 1928 with a growing hate for Imperialism.
He lived as a tramp for several years in both France and Britain,then he became a school teacher,then he worked in a bookshop before becoming a book reviewer for "The English Weekly".
In 1936 he joined the Republican cause in the Spanish Civil War where he was wounded.
During WW2 served in the Home Guard and worked for the BBC.
He became literary editor of the "Tribune",The "Observer's" war correspondent.
Orwell suffered from TB.He died in 1950 aged 46.

posted on May, 10 2003 @ 04:26 AM
link   
thanks JB, that about sums it up!!

new topics

top topics

join