It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police officers 4 year Old just shot himself dead near my hometown- This WILL be national news.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
So, it started out with a few facebook postings- I have a friend who works 911 dispatch and she wouldnt say what happened but eluded to the incident. Then the rumors started... Then the news broke.

Now, I have "inside sources" and know the Officer in question is being allowed to grieve with his wife (as he should) and isnt being questioned- However last year a Child (12 years old) found a Shotgun in an attic and shot himself (he lived) and the parents were pulled in for questioning and charged while their Son was possibly dying in intensive care.

Anyhow, the story in brief. A Jackson Co, Sheriff heads to work- before he gets there his 4 year old somehow gains access to a firearm and shoots himself dead. This will be used towards an agenda and this will make national news... But I am angry beyond words at the double standard here. I have witnessed people in this county being put through HELL for even having a firearm in their home while doing something Legal (In this State) which I am not allowed to talk about here.

Had this been My child who got ahold of an unsecured weapon and killed himself I certainly wouldn't be given the courtesy of comforting my Wife right now as I would be being read the riot act in an interrogation and then charged- Once I saw a Judge Monday morning I MIGHT be given bail-

Anyhow...here is what has been "officially" released. www.mlive.com...

I am a total Firearm supporter (to be clear) but this is irresponsibility beyond words. I would like your thoughts as I am sure this will be breaking nationally soon enough.
edit on 2-3-2013 by DarKPenguiN because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
what a tragic situation.

my views on ATS are public...i dont understand the whole "american" way with guns. i have since changed about my views in that i think you should all be allowed to have your guns...but make the bullets $1000 each.

+15 more 
posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
-The thing is, of all the people who will have guns (even if ours are taken) this Sheriff would be one of the ones WITH a Firearm.

This is going to be spun to show that "even trained Officers blah, blah, blah" but the fact is, as tragic as this is- The guy is a freaking idiot. How does a 4 year old get ahold of a loaded gun, chamber a round, turn off the safety, etc...etc... and have the lack of supervision to be able to do such? How could this even happen? And remember- Even if you take all of our guns- This guy would have still had his and THIS still would have happened.

-AND tragedy aside- This is an issue of a double standard. The Police are treated differently even if they do something stupid (like leaving an unsecured, laded firearm in reach of a four year old) than a citizen who has a less stupid (but still stupid) accident (12 year old finds a secured Shotgun in the attic, unsecured it and shoots himself- father is sitting in jail while his potentially dying son is airlifted to a trauma center)

This is not only an issue of total irresponsibility- But an issue of different laws and procedures for different people.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Well, I'll be keeping my eyes and ears peeled for this story to make its way into national news. Seems were about due for another sensationalized, exploited gun story in America. Can't give the people TOO much time to forget. The only big story at the moment involving guns is that Oscar Pistorius case, but thats more of the larger world-wide campaign to disarm the peasantry and non-elites than the just as large and important American campaign.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SerratedSoul
Well, I'll be keeping my eyes and ears peeled for this story to make its way into national news. Seems were about due for another sensationalized, exploited gun story in America. Can't give the people TOO much time to forget. The only big story at the moment involving guns is that Oscar Pistorius case, but thats more of the larger world-wide campaign to disarm the peasantry and non-elites than the just as large and important American campaign.

That was my first thought when it was merely a shooting...Once the Child was pronounced dead and it actually made the local news- I could just picture the hawks -a- circling...

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   
We could be looking at a negligent storage of firearms charge which may be a gross misdemeanor if he knows, or reasonably should know it was stored improperly.

Being an officer of the law, it goes without saying that he falls under this category of 'should know better'.

If it does get discussed on some national level, it'll be interesting to see what solutions are offered up in order to prevent these tragic accidents.

Hey I have an idea.
How about mandatory home inspections of all firearms owners?
The DHS could head this up, and the inspections will be frequent, random, and unannounced.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sek82
We could be looking at a negligent storage of firearms charge which may be a gross misdemeanor if he knows, or reasonably should know it was stored improperly.

Being an officer of the law, it goes without saying that he falls under this category of 'should know better'.

If it does get discussed on some national level, it'll be interesting to see what solutions are offered up in order to prevent these tragic accidents.

Hey I have an idea.
How about mandatory home inspections of all firearms owners?
The DHS could head this up, and the inspections will be frequent, random, and unannounced.

Honestly I doubt he will be charged with anything. We have a "good 'ol boys" club here... Now (in defense of the County) our Police/Sheriffs/etc. are fantastic. They are the best I have seen in the Nation and generally not "out to get people"- But recently we had an incident here where the manager of a Credit Union Embezzled like 300K right from peoples accounts and was given probation based on friendships she had in the county- Anothr guy was just given over 10 years (cannot remember the amount) for embezzling half that amount from a Corporation he worked for- he didnt know anyone.

Then there is the horrific case of Kirk Coleman who did this...

A 3-month-old girl whose father is charged with raping and beating her suffered major trauma that caused permanent brain injury, a doctor testified Friday.
"I have seen a child injured in a 100 mph accident sustain less injury," pediatric surgeon Dr. Daniel Teitelbaum said.
Kirk Coleman, 27, is charged with first-degree criminal sexual conduct and first-degree child abuse.
Prosecutors allege Coleman beat and sexually assaulted the girl, possibly over several weeks leading up to her hospitalization Sept. 14.

Coleman
After further testimony from the baby's mother, Ashley Rogers, and Blackman Township officer Chris Boulter, the preliminary examination -- which will determine whether Coleman is bound over for trial on the charges -- was adjourned until Feb. 19.
Coleman and Rogers took the baby to Foote Hospital because she was lethargic, not eating and holding her head to one side, Rogers testified.
After some tests and examination, Foote sent the baby to the University of Michigan Hospital by helicopter.
She was placed on a ventilator and clung to life for several days.
Boulter testified Coleman wrote a statement in a conference room at Mott Childrens Hospital at UM on Sept. 15 saying he was the one who injured the baby. It was after the second time Boulter questioned Coleman, possibly a 20-minute session.
Boutler said he then got Coleman's father, Tom Coleman, to come into the room, warning him, "You may not like what you are about to hear, but your son needs your support."
Boulter said Coleman wrote a second note saying he was responsible for the baby's injuries and gave it to Rogers, who handed it to Boulter.
Boulter also testified Kirk Coleman told him he didn't want his wife to know about his drinking problem, saying he would put the baby in her crib when his wife went to work, then take pain medication for his migraine headaches and drink until he passed out.
Teitelbaum, who practices at Mott, said the girl suffered bleeding and swelling of the brain, a fractured skull, retinal bleeding, numerous bruises, 17 fractures to her legs, arms and ribs, and injuries to her private parts.
Coleman was in the Army, stationed at Fort Bragg, N.C., when he met his future wife. They moved to Michigan, near his family, in 2007. The baby was born June 11 and the couple married two weeks later.
Rogers testified Coleman served two stints in Iraq, the last time from October 2005 to January 2006. He was discharged honorably in March 2006.
Under questioning by defense attorney Dennis Hurst, Rogers said Coleman had appeared to be a good father, changing diapers, holding the baby closely and feeding her.
She said she told Boulter that Coleman was the only one she knew who could hurt the girl. She testified that her mother told her Coleman once attacked her father, who uses a wheelchair, and kicked the teeth out of her mother's dog.
"I loved Kirk and I didn't want to believe it," Rogers said. She filed for divorce after the baby was hospitalized.
The girl remains in foster care, although Rogers apparently is able to visit her.
The couple lived at Springport Glen Apartments in Blackman Township.
During the investigation, police said they searched the apartment and seized Oriental ceremonial knives and swords, a 9mm handgun and a semiautomatic assault-type rifle. blog.mlive.com...

Kirk Coleman is already out of Prison [edit: he did 4 years...yes 4 YEARS]...he is tied in with former Prosecutor Dennis Hearst who is a friend of their family...

So my problem isnt just the whole "idiot not securing his weapon"- But its the total double standard here for who ytou know (or who you are - like being a Sheriff) vs. the Citizenry who is treated far different.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by bellagirl
what a tragic situation.

my views on ATS are public...i dont understand the whole "american" way with guns. i have since changed about my views in that i think you should all be allowed to have your guns...but make the bullets $1000 each.

Why's that? You think the rich are more responsible?

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Another dead kid.
Guns don't kill people, people kill people?
It's the pathetic gun loving culture that caused this.
We need our guns to protect ourselves from a tyrannical government? Yeah right. You gun freaks ain't done jack so far, while the government walks all over you.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by BoogieMan911
Another dead kid.
We need our guns to protect ourselves from a tyrannical government? Yeah right. You gun freaks ain't done jack so far, while the government walks all over you.

Again, put all that aside.

THIS was a Sheriff... Regardless of "gun culture" Sheriffs will always have guns. Do your Law Enforcement have Firearms??? This isnt about gun culture but see...This is going to be the spin.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
This gun could be the mothers gun. The kid could have found the night stand hand gun. Somehow seen the parents put it there and the rest is history. Sad but could be true. Or in moms purse. Just guessing.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tomylong
This gun could be the mothers gun. The kid could have found the night stand hand gun. Somehow seen the parents put it there and the rest is history. Sad but could be true. Or in moms purse. Just guessing.

You are correct. Regardless, the four year old was not being supervised around a weapon which locked and loaded... I am a Firearm owner and I had young children (they are long since grown) and they were NEVER in any position to get even close to a weapon...

Being a Sheriff means he (and his wife as it were) should have had a far greater awareness of firearm safety and proper storage.

-Its tragic and pointless.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by BoogieMan911
Another dead kid.
Nice try, and by the way your hate is showing, but it was actually an officer of the law that caused this.

Not an entire stereotyped group of people.
Put the wide brush away, simma down, and let's talk.
Why are you so mad?

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Sek82

Dead kids don't make you mad?
Have a heart.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
i think it'll prove to be but a mere "blip on the screen", with regards 'national news' ... a quick blurb @ 6, 10 & perhaps 11 ... nothing moar.

There won't likely be any sort of public outcry, or gain from those who wish to use the incident 'politically', because it was a member of law enforcement who 'owned/housed' the gun - which i'm quite certain is the point attempting to be made here. (?)

Citizen A would typically be encountering and having to undergo Numerous interviews, statements &/or interrogations to 'Protect' his/her innocence

while

Officer/Sheriff B is afforded 'time off with pay' to handel arrangements and console/mourn their loss of a child, Due to their OWN Damn Negligence!!!

's that about right OP?

It would seem so, and I do have to agree, it's Just not Right, but, for the most part, How It Is.

edit on 3/3/2013 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by DarKPenguiN

sad but not so surprising.
condolences for the loss of life but i am not looking forward to the 'mandatory' safes headed our way

when an individual accepts the risk of having a firearm in the home, they are responsible for mitigating said risk. it is a shame that this parent (mom) wasn't responsible enough to mitigate the risk she welcomed into her life.

as for the officer, unless access was a result of his error or lack of containment, he should be visiting his wife in jail, period.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Sek82

You said it nicer than I would have , Thank you !

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Are you in Texas? ...this happened almost two weeks ago if so: Texas 4-year-old dead after shooting himself with father’s gun

Still an absolutely horrible occurrence.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by BoogieMan911

Go ahead and blame a inanimate object. Thats totally not dim witted or anything.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   

He's clearly stupid there is no reasoning with a moron.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join