It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BIOTECH vs BIODEFENSE

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I just wanted to open some discussion here I know a lot of you here are very wise indeed.

BIOTECHNOLOGY
: the manipulation (as through genetic engineering) of living organisms or their components to produce useful usually commercial products (as pest resistant crops, new bacterial strains, or novel pharmaceuticals); also : any of various applications of biological science used in such manipulation.Link

If you look out into the world today, biotechnology is growing and advancing at an alarming pace. Not just in the United States, but many other countries as well. Here's a pretty good top 10 ten list of a variety of bio technologies and some of it sounds a little scary! HERE

While many of this is "supposed" to help us, one cannot believe that is ALWAYS the intention. Even when it is their intention, the outcome could go very very wrong!. There are all sorts of crazy bio-technologies out there, expanding, living, growing, adapting, including DNA vaccines, Implantable sensors, you've got spider-cows, it's in the food air and water. I think we're setting up for more advanced diseases rather than cures for common ones. This is all going to backfire, soon! IMO

Remember the article with the mexican TB guy crossing the border into US?

Tuberculosis, an ancient, fatal airborne disease, has been treatable for decades with a cocktail of drugs. However, shoddy medical practices world-wide have enabled the bacteria to mutate and, in some cases, become all but untreatable
article

It's just out of control, and I think the the feds are actually afraid of something! Which leads to Biodefense.

BIODEFENSE
: the means or methods of preventing, detecting, or managing an attack involving biological weapons

When I talk about the feds being afraid I'm particularly talking about DHS, they've got something like a 5.3 billion dollar budged allocated over the next five years for "BIOWATCH"

A catastrophic biological event could have devastating consequences. The U.S. government has efforts to provide detection and warning of biological threats. DHS’s BioWatch , which aims to detect certain pathogens in the air, is one such program. DHS has been pursuing a third generation of BioWatch technology (Gen - 3) to further enhance detection. GAO has published a series of reports on national biosurveillance efforts, including a report released today on DHS’s efforts to acquire Gen - 3.

the estimated date for full deployment has been delayed from fiscal year 2016 to fiscal year 2022 . T he 2009 life - cycle cost estimate — a poi nt estimate unadjusted for risk — was $2.1 billion . I n June 2011, DH S provided a risk - adjusted estimate at the 80 percent confidence level of $5.8 billion. Several steps remain before DHS can fully deploy Gen - 3 including additional performance testing, operational testing, and developing location specific deployment plans.

Also interesting... does Boeing know somethings up? Apparently...

PositiveID Corporation (PSID), an emerging growth company and developer of airborne bio-threat detection systems for America's homeland defense industry as well as advanced technologies for rapid medical testing and diabetes management, today announced it has entered into a license agreement and a teaming agreement with The Boeing Company ("Boeing"), including a license fee to PositiveID of $2.5 million.

The license agreement provides Boeing the exclusive license to manufacture and sell PositiveID's M-BAND (Microfluidics-based Bioagent Networked Detector) airborne bio-threat detector for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's ("DHS") BioWatch Generation 3 opportunity, as well as other opportunities (government or commercial) that may arise in the North American market. Under the teaming agreement, PositiveID will retain exclusive rights to serve as the reagent and assay supplier of the M-BAND systems to Boeing in the U.S. market. PositiveID will also retain the right to sell M-BAND units, reagents and assays in international markets.
link

Does DHS and Boeing know something we don't?? Of course they do! I think we're all in for one heck of a ride. Let's hope they aren't pushing for disease, just to get some of these contracts pushed through or whatever.. my goodness. In closing I just want to say thanks for getting this far I know this thread won't be as neat as or well written as a lot of you probably like! I would love to hear any thoughts or knowledge anyone might have on these subjects. Thanks everyone and go easy, I'm not a scientist.

edit on 2-3-2013 by Hiasyouwant because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
wow MOD trash my thread within an hour... I would've thought at least SOME people would at least like to read about some of this. Guess not.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
As a trained member of Michigan's Region 2- South, Bio-Defense Network in Wayne County, Mi...Im always around some Bio-defense training sites, using bio-tech to deal with it should the time come. They seemingly go hand in hand. That in itself makes me nervous.

I anticipate the time when bio-tech starts something bad somewhere in the world..we suit up and use other bio-technology to defend ourselves..which of course was manufactured by some of the same companies that produced the offending tech in the first place.

This is where I can see some truth to the theory that someday TECH (or ROBOTS) will govern themsleves and destroy man.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I sometimes wonder if the microbes that are drug resistant are all created by nature or if some have escaped form testing labs and spread out throughout the years. Especially the viruses. I understand horizontal transfer pretty well and know that it is not limited to microbes. We are what we eat is true. Altering the biology and chemistry of the world too fast is not sane, we need to examine this practice.

new topics

top topics

join