It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liberals: Scientists or Incompetent Hedonists?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   
As a scientific person myself, and a psychology major who is involved in continual education, I often come across facts (scientific ones, with proper empirical data collecting and peer reviews) that go against what some of the... less developed liberals believe.

First off, I will go ahead and say that I think people have the freedom to do as they wish, however, the effects of science and the laws of the universe cannot be ignored. At the same time, I am aware of the positive effects of learning through first-hand experience - but I will admit that sometimes the attitudes of individual Freshman Philosopher types can get on my nerves.

Here are a few studies:

The Benefits of Optimism [and Altruism] Are Real

Sexual Behavior and its Mental Health Consequences

Background : Previous research suggests that low self-esteem and increased levels of depression are associated with a variety of risky sexual behaviours including poor contraception use, a high number of sexual partners and sexual partners with a risky history.

This particular study then goes on to investigate the effects of poor contraception use and sexually transmitted diseases.

I am not going to judge anyone for their behavior, I just think being informed is a cool thing. And all I'm really saying is use protection and take consideration of your own and your partner(s) feelings when it comes to having multiple sexual partners. Really, let's be smart about this.
edit on 2-3-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I don't understand your post.

You are making a few different points and they don't seem tied into each other.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

I"m also confused.

Are you implying that Liberals must do a better job of safe sex?! Or that somehow conservatives aren't worthy of that information?!

What you've posted certainly isn't really still a debate is it? That sexual behavior can have negative consequences, and that low self esteem promotes bad decision making in general.

And that Altruism is good for you?

These are all very common knowledge things if you ask me.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   

You're certainly onto something here. You should examine certain binge drinking groups that promote sexual humiliation. Alcohol is a depressant anyways, so this helps with the promiscuity.
Another aspect of this is that psychotropic drugs help numb people so they are able to have sex with anyone and not feel guilty or dirty about it.
There is an agenda here and it certainly isn't pretty or positive. I believe it has a lot to do with keeping our bodies' frequencies low so we are more programmable and controllable. Not to mention, people care about themselves less when they feel bad, so this helps in the spread of disease whether it be through sex and/or drug use.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Well, I'm not talking about all liberals. This is really about a small group of them who don't understand things like altruism, or who think that it is wrong for others to be in monogamous relationships. I'm just reminding people to stay grounded and be smart.

And this was up for debate, my post was in response to someone who posed the idea that jealousy was the motivating factor for monogamous relationships.

I think everyone should have access to information and science. And I don't think we disagree on much that I know of, Tenth. You might be surprised at my liberal background, beliefs and friends - I just think it is a good thing to remain critical of even your own philosophy and be aware.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
just send a PM to whoever annoyed you. it's easier that way

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
It seems like you dislike liberals, and the other topics you listed. And since you dislike both of them, you tied them together in your head, even though there's no evidence they are related at all.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

I do not dislike liberals, and I don't "dislike" sexual promiscuity and self-destructive behavior -

However, I do have a reason for tying these ideas together, and that is the fact that I attended a Liberal Arts college and spent a good amount of time in the philosophy and psychology departments. I am well-studied on the different views of liberalism, including, as I said, the Freshman Philosopher.

As far as sexual promiscuity and other self-destructive behavior, I have seen enough of it first-hand to definitely think it is important to at least keep people informed of the consequences of their actions.

Have you ever had a best friend deteriorate before your eyes because she thought that the only thing that mattered in life were looks? Deteriorating to the point of meeting with older, married men to have sex with them just to (as she admitted to me) be self-destructive?

And I don't dislike liberals, by any means. I think that putting yourself in a position where you are not allowing yourself or others to criticize your particular political philosophy is putting yourself and your own political philosophy in a position of vulnerability.

I am a moderate, and I reserve the right to be critical of both liberals and conservatives. If you must know, I definitely lean towards being liberal, but this means that I'm going to be MORE critical of fringe movements or unhealthy thinking on the left, because I value the integrity of my political ideals.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Well, I'm not talking about all liberals. This is really about a small group of them who don't understand things like altruism, or who think that it is wrong for others to be in monogamous relationships. I'm just reminding people to stay grounded and be smart.

I think the majority of people still believe in monogamous relationships. I certainly don't from a physical perspective.

And this was up for debate, my post was in response to someone who posed the idea that jealousy was the motivating factor for monogamous relationships.

No, that's mostly due to our draconian societal constructs that religion and ambiguous morality forced upon us a few hundred years ago.

I think everyone should have access to information and science. And I don't think we disagree on much that I know of, Tenth. You might be surprised at my liberal background, beliefs and friends - I just think it is a good thing to remain critical of even your own philosophy and be aware.

Nah I don't think we disagree on much either, but I do think that labeling yourself as either conservative or liberal is doing yourself and society at large a disservice. That sort of division prevents cooperative exchange of ideas and problem solving.

Obviously I'm not saying you're the problem or anything.

~Tenth
edit on 3/2/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Sexual orientation really isn't a liberal/conservative issue. And you are clearly tying in sexual deviancy with liberals.

Do you know how many Republican senators have gotten caught doing perverse or extramarital sexual deeds? Lots.

Also, your thoughts are conveyed pretty horribly in that OP, no offense.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Very insightful replies, thanks Tenth.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

That could definitely be true. I think I can tend to get emotionally involved with this issue because of past experiences, which would affect my ability to think clearly and form a coherent OP !

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   

no worries, it happens to the best of us.
Your explanations have helped clear up what you mean.

edit on 2-3-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
dp.
edit on 2-3-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
The Benefits of Optimism [and Altruism] Are Real

I believe in the power of optimism. Most of my life I have been a pessimist. Though resently I've decided to look at "the bright side." And it has been benifiting me.

Think of it this way. Let's say I'm in a semi-pro baseball team. And we go to the championship game, and we lose.

Most people have two reactions to losing;

1.) You think to yourself "It sucks we lost, but I'll learn from this and train harder and learn from this experience."

2.) Or you will think "I can't believe we lost! I may as well just quit! I'll never be a pro at this rate!"

I've noticed when I dwell on the negatives, I assume more negatives will come around. And they surely will. Or vice versa.

You need to be in the right state of mind. Just the idea or thought of something can drastically change the event.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Lingweenie

I think it rocks that you are capable of intro-spection and change for your own benefit.

It's much more difficult and rare than most folks know...until they try it themselves.

Good for you.

top topics

join