It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I figured out why Boehner and the republicans do not want to tax the wealthy.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy nut

Obama, "take one for the team" ??

WTF are you smoking ?

QV.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by WaterBottle

I alway thought the "fair tax" was a national sales tax in lieu of a flat or progressive tax on unspent income. I think somebody is confusing their taxes.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

1) Do you believe the goal is to equalise suffering through punitive wealth redistribution?

Clearly you do as you support a tax system that would cause huge wealth inequality and diminish the majorities quality of life.

2) Or create a society where everybody contributes equally in % terms to the burden of funding societies collective endeavours.

It's not equal in % terms because not everyone has the same income. The only way it would be equal is if everyone were paid the same wages.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by GreenGlassDoor

Yeah you are right. I shouldn't have used that terminology.

I was meaning to say flat taxes aren't fair because it affects the poor and middle classes more than the upper classes. A lot of flat tax advocates call it "fair" because everyone is taxed the same percentage. Not in as the actual "fair tax" plan.

edit on 3-3-2013 by WaterBottle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I always thought because they understand that it is wrong to punish success. Stealing is defined by taking something that isn't yours. Naming it taxes or wealth redistribution doesn't change the fact that it is stealing. The democrats have embraced covetousness, and have sugar coated it.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by WaterBottle
reply to post by justwokeup

1) Do you believe the goal is to equalise suffering through punitive wealth redistribution?

Clearly you do as you support a tax system that would cause huge wealth inequality and diminish the majorities quality of life.

2) Or create a society where everybody contributes equally in % terms to the burden of funding societies collective endeavours.

It's not equal in % terms because not everyone has the same income. The only way it would be equal is if everyone were paid the same wages.

You are living in a society with massive wealth inequality. Capitalism creates wealth inequality by default. Money makes money.

What you can do is make sure that everyone going forward pays the same % of what they earn. Whether thats a trust fund kid earning $40 million from investments or a single mom earning 30,000 in salary. At the moment the trust fund kid can probably get away with paying less as a % due to tax code shenanigans.

Its equal in % contribution of what is earned. Thats what matters. Nobody is giving a bigger share of what they are making than anybody else. Thats fair. None of the other ways are fair.

Success should be neither punished nor allowed to buy itself favourable terms.

We are unlikely to agree but thank you for the civil discussion.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy nut
Poiliticans are part of the 1 percent the link is from forbes magazine, last i checked it was not a COMMUNIST magazine.

so this is why Boehner and the republicans refuse to budge on raising taxes on the wealthy, because they are amongst the wealthiest in america!!!!! kind of makes me give a little respect to Obama and the democrats, they are actually willing to take one for the team, unllike the republicans who would rather have the rest of us eat cake than god forbid pay more taxes.

read the article, i am not being a COMMUNIST, i am not lazy, i am not on welfare, i provide and struggle for my family like millions of other americans! i am part of the american workers whose "productivity has raised 80 percent since 1979" "If the average person’s wages had kept pace with the economy since the 70s, most people would be making $92,000 per year." (facts taken from the article)

edit on 2-3-2013 by conspiracy nut because: (no reason given)

Communism is about a centralized government you have no vote in ruling over you. It has absolutely nothing to do with how high tax rates are. If tax rates are 90% across the board america still is not communist. America will be communist when its leaders in the one party system are not elected anymore.

People throw around big words on and on without knowing what they are talking about. At least google it.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWrightWing

Maybe if the 1% (yanno them job creators) paid a living wage and hired more workers here in the US, maybe 5% could be paying 40% of federal taxes.

Nah, it's more profitable to just pay the damn 40% of taxes... aint it?

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375

Originally posted by TheWrightWing

It couldn't be that the "1%" pay well over 40% of all Federal Taxes, could it?

But they earn about 70% of the wealth.

Don't tell me that's fair.
yes its called owning a business, try starting one so obama can call you an evil capitalist

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by blackz28

Obama is a capitalist so your post makes no sense.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
you seem to hold "Forbes" in high regard

i would bet there are plenty of skeletons' in the Forbes' closets... perhaps the act of not paying their 'Fair-Share"

i once had my picture on a Forbes magazine, called American Heritage... exactly the April-May , 2001 issue
the pikers refused to renumberate me for the use of my image without my permission...
a clean cut, hippy, peacenick, anti-vietnam war veteran. giving the PeaceSign at a Washington Monument antiwar rally in Oct 1969

i still refuse to solict anything from the Forbes Empire. news/articles/email comments/ et al
i know i have that refusal letter stashed somewhere... but more importantly i do not have a hard copy of the letter i sent them in June 2001...some 3 months before the airliners plowing into WTC & Pentagon

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Is this what the left means by "Fair Share"? Sounds like State Approved looting to me.

How about everyone paying their Fair Share, including the nearly 50% who pay Zero taxes, but who can vote for other people's taxes raised even more? They'll soon be the majority, and workers will become enslaved by the entitlement class, by working harder, earning less to provide the entitled even more "free stuff" they vote for.

Flat tax for all would nearly eliminate the IRS, and everyone, yes EVERYONE would pay their Fair Share with the added bonus of having skin in the game.

Or, better yet, abolish the Federal Reserve and re-instate Taxes on Profit only. Reminder: Wages are not Profit, they are a fair trade.

I have no problem with everyone paying something and it has already been shown that we all do to one degree or another! I just don't see how raising taxes on the bottom 50% who don't even make a living wage would help to eleviate the stress on our failing economy! it is shown here en.wikipedia.org... that the bottom 50% make on average twenty three thousand a year! In some parts of the country it's impossable to live on that small of an amount!
I realize that many of you probably don't care whether they can survive or not but since taxing these people would make it even harder for them to survive! they would die and with them dead they would no longer pay taxes or make purchases! Also since the bottom 50% have no disposable income by increasing their tax rate would reduce their spending!
Nor do I see raising taxes on those already paying almost half of their income as changing anything! It should be known to all that we don't have a problem with taxes but a problem with spending! We also have stagnant wages for all but the top 20% and a 9 to 11 percent annual inflation rate! If you ask me this is enough of an increase in cost for most!
If it's not obvious to you by now that raising taxes on those without a disposable income is totally improbable then nothing i can say would change your opinion! It is a fact that taxes are a redistribution of wealth by those who have their noses into the legislation! These are the same people who many of you are defending! The top
.01% ... Wake up people we have become slaves to ambition of their material world! We wont ever be free to follow our hearts and dreams until we free our society from these restraints!

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Merinda

Poiliticans are part of the 1 percent the link is from forbes magazine, last i checked it was not a COMMUNIST magazine.

so this is why Boehner and the republicans refuse to budge on raising taxes on the wealthy, because they are amongst the wealthiest in america!!!!! kind of makes me give a little respect to Obama and the democrats, they are actually willing to take one for the team, unllike the republicans who would rather have the rest of us eat cake than god forbid pay more taxes.

read the article, i am not being a COMMUNIST, i am not lazy, i am not on welfare, i provide and struggle for my family like millions of other americans! i am part of the american workers whose "productivity has raised 80 percent since 1979" "If the average person’s wages had kept pace with the economy since the 70s, most people would be making $92,000 per year." (facts taken from the article)

Communism is about a centralized government you have no vote in ruling over you. It has absolutely nothing to do with how high tax rates are. If tax rates are 90% across the board america still is not communist. America will be communist when its leaders in the one party system are not elected anymore.

People throw around big words on and on without knowing what they are talking about. At least google it.

We are actually living in an oligarchy! Without true equality we will always be oppressed by those willing to subjugate the meek!

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kr0nZ

Originally posted by Ghost375

But they earn about 70% of the wealth.

Who are you to determine how much anyone can earn? Why not earn some yourself?

Stop counting other peoples money and worry about your own situation.

My earning more than you does not adversely affect you in any way. Penalising my success also, does not benefit you in any other way than purely symbolic self satisfaction, but does harm you, by producing an economy like we see today.

Is it the "Earning" part that irks you? Would you feel better if The State took it from someone else and gave it to them?

If you earn 70% of the wealth, you should be paying 70% of the taxes,
if you earn 0% of the wealth, you should be paying 0% of the taxes

Is this a joke? Last time I checked, the people in the bottom 50% who don't really pay much in taxes still enjoy all the perks that taxes pay for: Roads, social services, police, fire department, military defense, etc. etc. etc.

So basically what you're saying is that if you're soooooo industrious ("high and mighty" for those of you who can't stand people with some sort of ambition and work ethic) and you want to be rich, you should be punished for all your hard work by having to bear the cost of all the others who just can't seem to figure out how to work their way up.

You are confusing the industrious rich with the crooks (i.e. politicians and certain select corporations who want competition eliminated). The crooks make millions and billions by screwing with the industrious rich while turning the bottom 50% against them, pretending like they are their best friends. They create monopolies to destroy the industrious, so that if there is such an individual to be found in the bottom 50%, he/she will have a very hard time rising to the top just through their work alone. It will take a$$-kissing, bribes, dead hookers and who knows what else to be able to get to where you want to be. Don't some of you get it? They're using YOU to eliminate their competition!

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
maybe if the income of the bottom 90% kept up with the income of the top 10% over the last 20 years, there would be more taxes paid into our system, there would be more economic growth, a larger portion of the population would be saving more money in more banks creating more money to lend out to create more businesses, which would create more jobs, which would create more tax revenue...etc.....

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
maybe if the income of the bottom 90% kept up with the income of the top 10% over the last 20 years, there would be more taxes paid into our system, there would be more economic growth, a larger portion of the population would be saving more money in more banks creating more money to lend out to create more businesses, which would create more jobs, which would create more tax revenue...etc.....

jimmyx BINGO!!!!! we finally agree on something lol!!!

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   

hopefully since you havent replied yet you are reading the article. the politicians are part of the 1 percent, so if they arent closer to the super wealthy than you or i, i don't know what t tell ya.

here is an idea for a budget cut, how about we lower politicans pay? get them out of the 1 percent and then figure out how we can get the rest of our pay to keep up w inflation. in my opinion politicians should be in it to help the people and their country, not to become part of the 1 percent and take advantage of the same disparity and wealth that has seen the average americans wealth remain stagnant since the 70's.

Hate to burst your bubble but POLITICIANS include DEMOCRATS and of course, the DEMOCRATS are all for this.
edit on 3-3-2013 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
The wealthy have gotten richer under Obama.

THIS WHOLE TAX THE RICH STUFF IS JUST NONSENSE!

Taxing the rich just passes more tax burden to the middle class and the poor. This is because these same Politicians who talk about taxing the rich pass loopholes so the rich will not have to pay these taxes. Especially the rich in Hollywood. They get all kind of tax breaks and all of them have "production companies" to avoid paying taxes.

Under Obama, Corporate profit is at an all time high, wages for the middle class and poor has fallen and multi-nationals are being flooded with cheap dollars while income inequality is increasing.

Both parties are corrupt to the core but I find it funny how people think the Democrats and Obama are some kind of class warfare warriors. They're making it worse for the middle class and the poor while the "evil rich" become filthy rich under Obama.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I'm just thinking here... conservatives known to fight against civil rights, equality, be in favor of war and torture, accept no responsibility for the environment, say teachers are lazy and over paid, and fight with everything they've got against affordable healthcare... and now the revelation that they might be guided by the purest level despicable greed?It's just so hard to believe...

edit on 3-3-2013 by spiritualzombie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by spiritualzombie
I'm just thinking here... conservatives known to fight against civil rights, equality, be in favor of war and torture, accept no responsibility for the environment, say teachers are lazy and over paid, and fight with everything they've got against affordable healthcare... and now the revelation that they might be guided by the purest level despicable greed?It's just so hard to believe...

edit on 3-3-2013 by spiritualzombie because: (no reason given)

Affordable health care???? Where have you been? Democrats want to take our guns and civil rights, keep on with the fracking, and there ARE teachers who are lazy and overpaid. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join