It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I figured out why Boehner and the republicans do not want to tax the wealthy.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jetman44
The median personal wealth for members of Congress grew to $911,510 in 2009, up from $785,515 in 2008, according to the Center for Responsive Politics. Nearly half of the members of Congress are millionaires.

usgovinfo.about.com...

[sarcasm]yes and they deserve it seeing as they have been doing such a good job![/sarcasm]

they actually deserve a demotion considering their poor performance.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
What are we getting for the money we send to DC or the state capital.

The gov doesn't protect my rights, which is what they are supposed to do.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by enament

From each according to his ability, to each according to his need...

Think I've heard that tune before. Oh, right! Marx. Why don't you just come out and say that people should not live according to their standards? Obviously, their purchasing decisions should be made by someone else. But who?

So, we start with giving up that right to someone else (the pursuit of happiness) and how far else are we willing to go in the name of fairness?

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Fiscal

In a perfect world, there should not be purchasing. There should not be a concept of profit. There should only be the sense of responsibility that most people have for their own children, but for all people. There are plenty of resourses on this planet for all of us to live comfortably, it is only human greed that prevents it.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fiscal
reply to post by enament

From each according to his ability, to each according to his need...

Think I've heard that tune before. Oh, right! Marx. Why don't you just come out and say that people should not live according to their standards? Obviously, their purchasing decisions should be made by someone else. But who?

So, we start with giving up that right to someone else (the pursuit of happiness) and how far else are we willing to go in the name of fairness?

So you think that those with money should live well beyond there means because they can? Do you complain about how much gas prices are at the pumps? Do you complain about the diapering nature? do you think one individual should consume 10 times more than the average individual because they can. I my self think those with more money should be taxed more. Because I just had a house built and I had it built to suit my needs, our 2 kids and me and my Girlfriend, so someone with money should be able to consume ten times the trees for himself to build his monument to his wealth (his house)? And thats all it is a big house to externalize an ego (look at me).Such arrogance and stupidity. (

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by enament

Especially considering the people who made the major tech breakthroughs aren't the people who made all the money.

The people who make the big money are almost exclusively skilled con artists whose desperate need to prove themselves is the cause of most of the worlds problems. They don't contribute to the advancement of humanity, just the opposite.

edit on 2-3-2013 by poet1b because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

How right you are my friend, Things will never change, the rich will always get richer and the poor will always be poor. The Bible says this as well.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy nut

If you believe the Politicians are wealthy due to the paycheck they receive for being a Politicians then you need to return the basement and start playing Wow again. This is utter donkey dirt, the facts are simple but most of us are too concerned with providing for our own and not worried whats been going on.

You may feel like you have it all figured out but the mere fact that you are still devoted to the Party shell game reveals way more about you than you realize. Time to put on some big boy shoes and learn something instead of the woe is me the Republicans are rich and against us all game...think for yourself !

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Stop the tax paradigm. Income tax only taxes those within the 99.99 percent.. The other .01 percent aren't taxed at all.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   
I am fairly certain that Republican politicians don't want to raise taxes on the wealthy because they have deals with them / are owned by them / work for them.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec
They did raise taxes on the wealthy. Where have you been?

Not enough. Where on earth have you been?

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkbake
I am fairly certain that Republican politicians don't want to raise taxes on the wealthy because they have deals with them / are owned by them / work for them.

I think you are right!
2nd line
edit on 3-3-2013 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by DJMSN

i am concerned with providing for my own, does that mean i should just ignore what's going on? both sides are messed up in my opinion! politicians should go into government to help their fellow man, not to fatten their pocketbooks and the pocketbooks of the rest of the 1 percenters. how about fattening the average working americans pocketbook? instead of encouraging outsourcing, extreme greed and price gouging!

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy nut

This makes me sick. I so tired of the greedy
Think about this.When I first got out of the Army, I went to work for a Civil Engineering Laboratory. I started at a really low wage which isn't unusual in Texas. I asked my boss why Engineering Technicians didn't make more money and he said they used to until they came out with calculators. When technicians had to use a slide rule they were earning a lot more. Then I was thinking about computers. They said this would enable us to not have to work as hard. But then we had to all learn how to use computers and we are working even harder. Our output has increased and companies are making nice profits off the working, but the owners never raised the wages to make up for the increase in output. They just keep requiring the workers to be more productive. Technology is a great thing but I think it has just made the greedy even worse.

I used to be a Republican and was even a Precinct Committee Officer. Now I have been voting Democrat in the last two elections and I am embarrassed to even admit to being a Republican. I hope the American people wake up and vote a Democratic Congress in next time. Maybe things will be better. I am not a person who normally seeks revenge, but these bankers who made the rest of us pay for their bad loans and then were paid a bonus too, Cone on, enough is enough. I think it's time to send these thieves to jail. There are so many people sitting in jail for stealing less. The guys who stold the most are still walking around free and bragging about it. In the next Presidential election I would vote for anybody willing to throw these guys in jail just on that promise alone. Too big to go to jail isn't right.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I can't believe people are still believing in trickle down economics. Open your eyes, nothing is trickling down. The wealthy hoard the money and invest it in 3rd world nations because they want to be able to pay slave wages.

It was called voodoo economics for a reason.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Tax cuts for the rich and corporations do not help the economy, they hurt it, badly.

A new study from the Congressional Research Service - a non-partisan government group that provides analysis to Congress - will likely fuel the already bitter political fight.The report concludes that tax cuts for the rich don't seem to be associated with economic growth and instead are linked to a different outcome: greater income inequality in the U.S.

www.ibtimes.com...

Here are two graphs of the top 0.1 percent and 0.01 percent. The first shows average tax rates for the highest-income taxpayers since 1945 has been dropping. The second graph shows that during the same period, the richest American families captured a greater and greater share of total income.

The top income tax rates have changed considerably since the end of World War II. Throughout the late-1940s and 1950s, the top marginal tax rate was typically above 90%; today it is 35%. Additionally, the top capital gains tax rate was 25% in the 1950s and 1960s, 35% in the 1970s; today it is 15%. The average tax rate faced by the top 0.01% of taxpayers was above 40% until the mid-1980s; today it is below 25%. Tax rates affecting taxpayers at the top of the income distribution are currently at their lowest levels since the end of the second World War.

The results of the analysis suggest that changes over the past 65 years in the top marginal tax rate and the top capital gains tax rate do not appear correlated with economic growth. The reduction in the top tax rates appears to be uncorrelated with saving, investment, and productivity growth. The top tax rates appear to have little or no relation to the size of the economic pie.

However, the top tax rate reductions appear to be associated with the increasing concentration of income at the top of the income distribution. As measured by IRS data, the share of income accruing to the top 0.1% of U.S. families increased from 4.2% in 1945 to 12.3% by 2007 before falling to 9.2% due to the 2007-2009 recession. At the same time, the average tax rate paid by the top 0.1% fell from over 50% in 1945 to about 25% in 2009. Tax policy could have a relation to how the economic pie is sliced—lower top tax rates may be associated with greater income disparities.

graphics8.nytimes.com...

www.nytimes.com...

You'd figure everyone by now would realize that nothing trickles down. Just look at New Jersey.

Christ Christie gave millions of corporate tax breaks to create jobs,..and it FAILED. The corporations cut jobs, hoarded the wealth, and outsourced.

Under the program, the Christie administration has granted more than $900 million in state tax credits over 10 years to 15 companies, including Panasonic, Goya, Prudential and Campbell’s Soup.

Another agreement has also stirred criticism. In February 2011, the state approved a $42 million tax break for Campbell’s Soup to renovate its longtime headquarters in Camden and add new jobs.

Campbell’s then announced in June that it would eliminate 130 jobs in Camden

www.nytimes.com...

Cuts increase the economic gap between the rich and the poor.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 04:17 AM
link   
These discussions usually fail due to people who think they are 'wealthy' defending those that really are. The upper middle class will defend to the death those above them paying a lot less in % burden. Its a beautiful piece of programming.

The tax code needs to be burned.

There should be a flat tax on income. All income. However it is sourced (payroll, pension, benefits, share dividends). Nobody should pay a larger or smaller % yearly income to the government than anybody else.

So called 'progressive' tax structures just create such complexity in the codes that the result is nobody understands it and those with influence can corrupt it in their favour over time.

You'll find nobody wants that in politics. Nobody wants a fair system. What they want is a system they can sell as good for their voter base.

Republicans sell to the upper middle as tough on the poor, tough on spongers.
Democrats sell the lower middle and the poor as tough on the rich (although its really the upper middle).

The real rich (the 0.1% and above) are impervious and looking on in amusement as they own the politicians and its their pantomime.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

A flat tax is not a fair tax. All it does is make the poor even more poor. A person making less is going to be hit a lot harder than someone making more at a flat tax rate.

A bunny that makes 10 carrots a year vs a bunny that makes 100 carrots a year.

Let's say there is a 50% flat tax.

The bunny making 10 carrots is left with 5 while the bunny with a 100 carrots is let with 50.

One of those bunnies are going to starve to death, and it isn't going to be the "rich" bunny.

A flat tax isn't fair to anyone.*

So called 'progressive' tax structures just create such complexity in the codes that the result is nobody understands it and those with influence can corrupt it in their favour over time.

Not really. It could be very simple if normal people actually wrote it.

edit on 3-3-2013 by WaterBottle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

It is a well established fact that when the super rich pay higher taxes, the country and the econnomy do better.

When I brought up France you just wanted to throw that argument away without naming a reason why, so we'll be using Germany, Japan, the US, and India from 1975 onward, in 5-year increments to test your assertion.

The economic data came from the UN.

The tax rates for Japan.

Tax rates for the US.

Tax rates for Germany.

Tax rates for India.

The GDP per capita was chosen because

Per capita GDP is sometimes used as an indicator of standard of living as well, with higher per capita GDP being interpreted as having a higher standard of living.

I switched the values to percent change between increments because we're testing the veracity that higher taxes equates to the "country and the [economy doing] better". Since the chart is composed of the highest marginal tax rate and GDPP, when the tax rate goes up, so should the GDPP.

So if you can find a correlation in there, be my guest. It looks like your "well established fact" isn't a well-established fact or any kind of fact.
edit on 3-3-2013 by GreenGlassDoor because: image link

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by WaterBottle
reply to post by justwokeup

A flat tax is not a fair tax. All it does is make the poor even more poor. A person making less is going to be hit a lot harder than someone making more at a flat tax rate.

A bunny that makes 10 carrots a year vs a bunny that makes 100 carrots a year.

Let's say there is a 50% flat tax.

The bunny making 10 carrots is left with 5 while the bunny with a 100 carrots is let with 50.

One of those bunnies are going to starve to death, and it isn't going to be the "rich" bunny.

Calling the flat tax a "fair tax" is complete double speak.

Not really. It could be very simple if normal people actually wrote it.

I respectfully disagree.

Once you legitimise that the government can arbitrarily force some people to lose more of their income than other people you have legitimised cronyism and theft. You cannot complain about bias in one direction while demanding bias in another.

1) Do you believe the goal is to equalise suffering through punitive wealth redistribution?
2) Or create a society where everybody contributes equally in % terms to the burden of funding societies collective endeavours.

Trying to do 1) fails because it becomes so complex that your bias mechanism gets subverted and used against you. Even worse, if it succeeds it destroys innovation for why bother to excel if its just going to be taken? The capable will leave.

Option 2 is the way forward. I suggest the potential of a US government setting the flat tax so high it starves its poor to death is unlikely.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join