It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I figured out why Boehner and the republicans do not want to tax the wealthy.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

read the article, i will not sit here and let you pee on my umbrella and tell me it's raining. it is the extreme greed of the uber wealthy and corporations that favor profits for themselves opposed to actually paying its workers a living wage that keeps up w the economy and inflation. yet since i point out these facts i am a commie and a hater? can someone please explain to me how worker productivity has gone up %80 percent while wages have not kept up w the profits generated through that productivity? perhaps because if you find anything wrong with that you would consider that you might be a hater with communist tendencies?

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
so they tax the rich more and more and more. right?

so why does the middle class get crushed?

why are the poor still poor?

whats the point in taxing, if it helps nothing?

they have been taxing incomes for 100 years.

$18 trillion on the war on poverty, and their is more poverty than ever.
edit on 2-3-2013 by bjax9er because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
reply to post by conspiracy nut

Productivity going up has nothing to do with workers working harder.

Just the opposite actually. Its the advent of technology and machines that make productivity go up. Look at how much more our farms can produce even though small family farms have all but been destroyed.

Productivity is a corporate goal and leads to layoffs, reduction in jobs, and higher unemployment.

If anyone deserves a raise for the increase in production its the guys that fired their workers and replaced them with machines.

See how silly your point is?

ok so in your opinion we should be like chinese workers and just continue to work for companies that make billions in profits as we sit there and eat peanuts? because w your attitude thats exactly where we are headed.

see how silly your point is?

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWrightWing

Originally posted by Ghost375

It couldn't be that the "1%" pay well over 40% of all Federal Taxes, could it?

But they earn about 70% of the wealth.

Who are you to determine how much anyone can earn? Why not earn some yourself?

Stop counting other peoples money and worry about your own situation.

My earning more than you does not adversely affect you in any way. Penalising my success also, does not benefit you in any other way than purely symbolic self satisfaction, but does harm you, by producing an economy like we see today.

Is it the "Earning" part that irks you? Would you feel better if The State took it from someone else and gave it to them?

If you earn 70% of the wealth, you should be paying 70% of the taxes,
if you earn 0% of the wealth, you should be paying 0% of the taxes

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I never called you a communist, only that the stat your throwing around is completely incorrect.

American workers have not increased productivity and your little article never says the word workers anywhere, in fact here is the exact statement from the article.

In fact, Americans have increased productivity by 80 percent since 1979;

This is simply a biased article trying to imply that Americans have rolled up their sleeves and are working over twice as hard. That simply isn't true.

Americans have increased productivity by replacing workers with automated systems in their factories. Corporate farms have swallowed up the little guys and have streamlined their operations.

Stores like Wal-mart are putting the smaller competitors out of business and running their own warehouses. Things like this is why productivity has increased, it has absolutely nothing to do with the workers, unless you count those poor souls sweating away in China.

Should increase their pay don't ya think?

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy nut

Originally posted by Hopechest

Productivity going up has nothing to do with workers working harder.

Just the opposite actually. Its the advent of technology and machines that make productivity go up. Look at how much more our farms can produce even though small family farms have all but been destroyed.

Productivity is a corporate goal and leads to layoffs, reduction in jobs, and higher unemployment.

If anyone deserves a raise for the increase in production its the guys that fired their workers and replaced them with machines.

See how silly your point is?

ok so in your opinion we should be like chinese workers and just continue to work for companies that make billions in profits as we sit there and eat peanuts? because w your attitude thats exactly where we are headed.

see how silly your point is?

You get paid for the type of work you do. Somebody who stacks boxes should never make as much as someone who went to college and earned a degree. If you think your pay is to low then go out and increase your skillset to get a better job.

Don't blame those that have earned their position and call it unfair. Join the corporate world if that's your goal in life. Its not a difficult process.

Instead we find people that are lazy and simply want those that have more than them to give them stuff without earning it.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
i will attempt to be civil. there is a huge wealth disparity in america, you cannot deny that. the profits keep going up and the money is being funneled a way from the average american. in all fairness taxing more may not be fair, what would be fair would be those insane profits somehow funneled to the average american worker so that we can have a living wage that keeps up with economy and inflation, can you argue against that without caling me a commie?

explain to me why gas costs so much around the world yet the oil companies continue to make record profits? it's part of the same greed that i'm talking about.

the majority of americans are living check to check and we are being price gouged and wage enslaved by the very companies and corporations that are making record profits!!! how can you not see anything wrong with that?
can you please explain how you don't see anything wrong with that without calling me a commie or a hater?

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   

i will attempt to be civil. there is a huge wealth disparity in america, you cannot deny that. the profits keep going up and the money is being funneled a way from the average american. in all fairness taxing more may not be fair, what would be fair would be those insane profits somehow funneled to the average american worker so that we can have a living wage that keeps up with economy and inflation, can you argue against that without caling me a commie?

explain to me why gas costs so much around the world yet the oil companies continue to make record profits? it's part of the same greed that i'm talking about.

the majority of americans are living check to check and we are being price gouged and wage enslaved by the very companies and corporations that are making record profits!!! how can you not see anything wrong with that?
can you please explain how you don't see anything wrong with that without calling me a commie or a hater?

Certainly.

I don't live paycheck to paycheck and I make just above minimum wage at the moment. I do well because I know how to manage money, the profits the oil companies make have absolutely no impact on me whatsoever.

There will always be someone making record profits so are you suggesting that when that happens we strip them of their profits and give it to society?

Who is going to decide how much is fair for a corporation to make. YOU?

You keep asking people not to call you a communist but the system you are describing sounds an awful lot like a communism. If I'm wrong then please correct me.

Many companies are making record profits because the demand for their products are increasing. I do not understand why you consider their success a bad thing. Would you be happier if companies were just barely scraping by?

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   

i would be happy if companies making record profits paid their employees a wage that keeps up with inflation and the economy. i would be happy if companies making record profits were not price gouging us left and right.

i would be happy if my fellow working americans weren't living in poverty paying $4 a gallon at the pump and getting priced gouged at the grocery store. i would be happy if our country does not turn into detroit and we can all thrive and be succesful through our hard work and efforts. i would be happy if billions of dollars in profits translated into a higher quality of life for all working americans not just the 1%. if that makes me a communist than paint me red and call me ivan.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   

reply to post by jimmiec

link, source? did this happen overnight? last i heard boehner refused to negotiate w obama because he wanted to raise taxes on the wealthy, last i checked obama and boehner are wealthy!!

you guys just love taking it up the rear don't you? perhaps you desire to become one of the 1 percent and leave your fellow americans in the dust w stagnant wages as well? please read the entire article and then tell me there isn't something fishy going on.

tell me what good is it to become part of the 1 percent when you will have to live up on a hill in a armed, gated community because the rest of the country has turned into detroit?

You must have missed it, but this is the second round of this rodeo, not the first one. The first round came at the end of December and tax increases were part of that solution, that time. The idea was that cuts would come for the 2nd run at it, this time.

So much for cuts.....and I guess it's just raise raise and nothing else. Well. the wealthy don't make enough if taxed 90% to actually pay what is being spent. This isn't a tax problem or people not being taxed enough. We're ALL being taxed too much. We have a spending problem where both parties are spending like drunken sailors on a 3 day bender. Both have done it over the last decade or so, as each has had power at different points. Both failed.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
As far as the argument that the bottom 47% of the country do not pay income tax, this is partially correct. They do not pay income taxes, but they do pay payroll taxes, sales taxes, and other taxes. The payroll taxes alone account for about 15% of the bottom 47% income.

You should also consider that much of the top 1% pay little or no income tax either. Many of them are in hedge funds and only pay capital gains taxes at the 15% rate. So as it turns out, the top 1% and bottom 47% pay taxes at the same rate, while the middle class is paying the highest rates.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Is this what the left means by "Fair Share"? Sounds like State Approved looting to me.

How about everyone paying their Fair Share, including the nearly 50% who pay Zero taxes, but who can vote for other people's taxes raised even more? They'll soon be the majority, and workers will become enslaved by the entitlement class, by working harder, earning less to provide the entitled even more "free stuff" they vote for.

Flat tax for all would nearly eliminate the IRS, and everyone, yes EVERYONE would pay their Fair Share with the added bonus of having skin in the game.

Or, better yet, abolish the Federal Reserve and re-instate Taxes on Profit only. Reminder: Wages are not Profit, they are a fair trade.

you do realize that some of that %50 who pay no taxes are large corporations making record profits?
A person making less than poverty wages and paying no taxes is paying their fair share, a multi national corporation making record profits and paying no taxes and getting government handouts and corporate welfare is not paying their fair share.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Fact Sheet: The Tax Agreement: A Victory for Middle-Class Families and the Economy

At this make or break moment for the middle class, the President achieved a bipartisan solution that keeps income taxes low for the middle class and grows the economy. For the first time in 20 years, Congress will have acted on a bipartisan basis to vote for significant new revenue. This means millionaires and billionaires will pay their fair share to reduce the deficit through a combination of permanent tax rate increases and reduced tax benefits. And this agreement ensures that we can continue to make investments in education, clean energy, and manufacturing that create jobs and strengthen the middle class.

www.whitehouse.gov...

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

thanks for that source jim! did that happen overnight? it still doesen't escape the fact that boehner and the republicans fought this tooth and nail.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kr0nZ

Originally posted by Ghost375

But they earn about 70% of the wealth.

Who are you to determine how much anyone can earn? Why not earn some yourself?

Stop counting other peoples money and worry about your own situation.

My earning more than you does not adversely affect you in any way. Penalising my success also, does not benefit you in any other way than purely symbolic self satisfaction, but does harm you, by producing an economy like we see today.

Is it the "Earning" part that irks you? Would you feel better if The State took it from someone else and gave it to them?

If you earn 70% of the wealth, you should be paying 70% of the taxes,
if you earn 0% of the wealth, you should be paying 0% of the taxes

Thats exactly what i`ve always said, those that control %70 of the wealth should pay %70 of the taxes, that is their fair share, those that control 0% of the wealth should pay 0% of the taxes, that is their fair share.

In 2007 the top %50 controlled %97.5 of the wealth in america, the bottom %50 controlled the remaining %2.5 of the wealth.

In 2007 the top %50 owned %99.5 of all the stocks, bonds and mutual funds in america, the bottom %50 owned the remaining %0.5 of the stocks, bonds and mutual funds.

if you control all the wealth then don`t complain if you have to pay all the taxes, someone has to pay taxes to keep the country solvent and you can`t get blood from a turnip.

www.businessinsider.com...

www.wweek.com...

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   

it was the compromise over the December 31, 2012 fiscal cliff issue.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

The general principle of the two parties differ. The Democrat party believes in big government that controls everything. ( basically)
The Republican party believes in small government and keeping money in the hands of investors to grow the economy (basically)

Obviously neither are perfect and both have their faults. You must choose one of course. We have a two party system unfortunately so it is a choice between two evils. On the surface it is a black and white decision. It however is far from it.

The tax hike was part of the fiscal cliff deal.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   

i would be happy if companies making record profits paid their employees a wage that keeps up with inflation and the economy.

The company exists to create a product and sell it. It is not their job to figure out how their employees fit into the overall economy. That is up to the individual to figure out. If your not making enough then get a second job or get a better job. You shouldn't burden your employer to keep pace, they pay you what they believe is a fair market price for the duties you perform. If you feel you are exceeding your expectations then by all means ask for a raise.

i would be happy if companies making record profits were not price gouging us left and right.

And I would be happy if people exercised their rights of not being forced to buy a product instead of dictating how companies should run their business. If enough people do not buy what they sell then they will adjust accordingly to bring business back.

i would be happy if my fellow working americans weren't living in poverty

Tell them to fix it then. Quit buying stuff you don't need, go to college, increase your skills, get a better job, its very easy to get out of poverty in America if you have the desire to. Instead, many people would rather have stuff handed to them rather than go out and do the work that's necessary to improve their lot in life.

paying $4 a gallon at the pump and getting priced gouged at the grocery store.

Take the bus and eat Top Raman, that's what I do. "But I can't because I have a family....", well it wasn't the company that forced you to have a kid before you were financially stable so deal with it.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   

The only problem I have with what you wrote is the whole assumption that college = $$$. There has been a debate going back 30 years concerning the veracity of this claim.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreenGlassDoor

The only problem I have with what you wrote is the whole assumption that college = $$$. There has been a debate going back 30 years concerning the veracity of this claim.

Very true, but you also must consider that the degree you pursue makes all the difference.

Yes if you major in liberal arts you are probably going to have a harder time than if you majored in math.

Here is a list of very low unemployment degrees.

www.cbsnews.com...
edit on 2-3-2013 by Hopechest because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join