It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Invisibility cloak' unveiled at TED conference

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   

'Invisibility cloak' unveiled at TED conference

www.telegraph.co.uk

Scientists at the Technology, Education and Design (TED) conference in Los Angeles have demonstrated what is being hailed as breakthrough in the bid to make the invisibility cloak become a reality.

A small box made of calcite optical crystal was used to bend light around an object, making anything placed behind the box appear invisible to people watching the demonstration at the TED conference.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.mnn.com
rt.com

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Just another advancement in invisibility technology.

Previous examples have utilized small cameras and projectors to feed information from the back of an object to the front of it. I would consider this as more of a "virtual" invisibility cloak as it circumvents any barriers presented by physics and cheats by using cameras.

The material presented at this conference is actually using the laws of physics to make an object appear to be invisible. By taking advantage of refraction of light through mediums of different density, we may one day be able to make a fully functional invisibility cloak.

This reminded me of the microwave invisibility cloak which can make objects appear to be invisible in the microwave range. This was accomplished by using meta-materials, or materials with certain properties at the nano level. The key to this technology was this.

In this latest work, Smith and Landy created a surface with tiny corrugations that bend the radio waves in such a way that when the waves hit an object, they are bent around it, rather than reflecting or getting absorbed. The technique makes the object invisible to microwave sensors.

So rather than reflecting, absorbing, or using cameras, the real goal is to make a material which funnels photons around it.

www.businessinsider.com...

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 3/2/2013 by VonDoomen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   
The Klingons are furiously taking notes, and doing some corporate spying, darn them. The military likely had these things years ago, and use them regularly to get into sports events without paying.

As more people and institutions get into this tech, and come up with breakthroughs, the chance of it going public are very slim, imnho. Military and other governmental entities just wouldn't allow a full-scale invisibility cloak to emerge, it seems to me, and would either buy up the patents, squash the technology, or seize the things in the name of national security. It will be interesting to keep an eye on the public progress though, as far as it gets (or is allowed to get).
edit on 2-3-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Im guessing the invisibility effect only works if you view it from a fixed angle.

Why use such small items for a demonstration?

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

This is impressive indeed!

I wonder how effective the method is, when attempting to obscure an object with a more reflective surface, like high vis strip, or silver for instance. I also wonder wether the objec that was obscured in the Telegraphs video, was selected because of how effective the crystal is at bending light around it in particular.

Interesting all the same though!

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

This is still a very young area of research. Science works in baby steps. We can't just create a fully functional perfect technology without first making proofs of concepts. It is unlikely that a invisibility cloak (the way we imagine one) will be made using calcite crystals. But scientists can research the physics behind this and then look for similar qualities in other materials which may be more feasible to make a real cloak.

But for those wishing to make themselves disappear in front of friends or family, take note: the illusion only works at a certain angle.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Well,

I dig the idea, but this leaves me wondering.. People won't be looking for the things they're looking for.. but for the thing that looks like a block of glass. Because that's what will be hiding the thing they're looking for.

Ima put 'donotlook:winofiend' tags on my stuff to make them invisible, in the same manner!

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   
No offence OP this information is like 10 years old..

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   

The research has been completed decades ago already for military purposes.

The revolutionary new "inventions" coming out of civilian laboratories and corporations you see from time to time are about 35-60 years behind the military equivalent of these technologies.

Applying this to the "cloak" in question here, I am fully convinced that the military does have the ability to remove objects from the visible spectrum perfectly already since the 1970ies or 1980ies. And I'm talking ships and planes here and not something you have to move with a tweezer.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Awe, that's nothing. I have an invisibility cloak that I invoke. Used it many times. Ask my wife.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
post by VonDoomen

At 11-12 seconds the straw appears to be under the what I think looks like some type of prism..it looks like it has a groove to it...looks like it actually goes over the straw...I think it's just bending light but isn't that what invisibility is? Not necessarily floored
edit on 2-3-2013 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-3-2013 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
there are some threads here on ats 'bout this subject.
one is about an invisibility 'poncho' that the military recently 'unvieled'.
in another, and it's an older one, the OP states that a mineral mined on the moon is invisible whan exposed to our atmosphere.

try to find them with the new search program and i think you will run into an entirely different type of 'invisibility cloak',
just sayin'

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Personally I wouldn't trust humanity with a technology like this. Military will use it for war, and anyone else who gets their hands on this would most likely either commit a crime or just be a perve. Take it from me, I had a peeping tom and he had no invisibility cloak. I can only imagine this being used for corrupt purposes.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
There are two groups that want this now. Peeping Toms and DHS and both for the same reason!

P

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by H1ght3chHippie

The revolutionary new "inventions" coming out of civilian laboratories and corporations you see from time to time are about 35-60 years behind the military equivalent of these technologies.

I wouldn't go that far...20 years, sure, but not 35-60...and as time goes on, that gap is getting smaller and smaller.

posted on Dec, 14 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: VonDoomen

I don't know how I missed this but if that isn't a breakthrough that will alter our future in profound ways, then what is? I think science is going to dramatically alter the way we all live to a greater degree than the internet and genetic engineering already has. I can't get over how it vanishes. True, it's only a stationary box, but that's a step in the right direction. I mean, what's next with this technology?

top topics

join