The importance of Photography

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I saw a UFO today! How cool is that. I was photographing kites at the local kite festival this afternoon when I saw a small white dot in the sky. It was just a tiny white round dot drifting across the sky. No flashing lights, no discernible shape. I took a photo and it was a small round white dot, A UFO I TELL YOU!!!!!

So I attached a long lens to my DSLR and zoomed right in close, then took the image home and cropped it tightly to get a good view of the object. Here is the result.

The importance of good quality equipment in the right hands is thus demonstrated. I could have posted a picture of a tiny white dot behind the kites, and we all could have wasted hours debating what type of UFO it was, and which planet it came from.

My point? If you can't take a proper picture of it, don't take a picture. It will mislead us all and waste our time.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by nothingwrong

That's a great point and I couldn't agree more. If you don't have anything conclusive, then you have disinformation. Blurry youtube videos and dark photographs of dots is why I can't stand this forum.

It's like trying to watch scrambled Cinemax--and no one wants to do that.

I don't mind hearing someone's UFO stories, but don't show pictures of something that nobody can even see and try to tell me that something is there.

Good pics or it didn't happen
You should show the "before" photo as well.
edit on 2-3-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   
What's your zoom factor there?
What's the minimum zoom you would have needed to ID that "dot"?

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpoq47
What's your zoom factor there?
What's the minimum zoom you would have needed to ID that "dot"?

I zoomed in to 270mm on the camera and this is approx a 120% crop of a 16 MP image.

I guess a 200mm zoom would have picked out the basic shape.

If I had used my camera phone, for example, or a basic point and shoot, it would have been a little round dot in the sky. Which is all I could see with my naked eye btw.
edit on 2-3-2013 by nothingwrong because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   
So you're basically saying "If you are not 100% sure of being able to identify the object you are about to photograph, do not even waste your time taking a picture."

Is it just me, or doesn't that make any sense at all ? If you'd always be able to identify what you see, there would hardly be any U left in UFO, leading the whole issue ad absurdum.

You are also contradicting yourself. You admit you weren't able to identify the object until you processed the image on your PC, only then you were able to make out the real shape etc, so following your own demands, you should not have made the picture in the first place, or, if you still had only seen a dot after processing it you would not have posted it because no shape had been visible.

So either I see a plane or a balloon in my picture, or I don't post it publicly because it is misleading ? Is that what you're saying ?
edit on 2-3-2013 by H1ght3chHippie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by H1ght3chHippie

No, not at all. I am saying that a tiny white dot in the sky is a pointless photo to post here, as it tells us nothing. If after all the processing I still had a small white circle I would have been very sure it was not an aircraft as I have done everything possible to get a good picture.

Here is another tiny white dot I saw in the sky some years ago:

This picture was taken on the same camera, with the same lens, and processed in the same way on the same computer. With the naked eye both were just a tiny white dot in the sky. After proper photography and processing I got 2 very different results.

For the record, we decided this was a weather balloon. But only because of the quality of the photography.

So yea - I guess to a point I am saying that it is pointless using a camera phone to photograph a small white dot, as we can not learn anything from it.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   

The importance of good quality equipment in the right hands is thus demonstrated.

Indeed it is but the majority of UFO pictures are captured on phones because that's what people normally have to hand when they have their sighting .

My point? If you can't take a proper picture of it, don't take a picture. It will mislead us all and waste our time.

Really ?

edit on 2-3-2013 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I agree to a point, but most of the people who report seeing a UFO, aren't prepared for it. What I mean by this is that they don't have ultimate camera etc. Hell, most people have only a camera on their phones!

So, yea, people should always take a picture of something interesting.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Nikola014

OK, take the picture. Just don't post it here and expect any cudos. A little blurry dot in the sky is almost never a UFO (well technically it is always a UFO as it can't be identified) but you know what I am saying. It proves nothing.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Are you familiar with the ATS phrase "pic or didn't happen"?

You people are crazy. When there isn't a photo of a UFO, most of you say that OP is lying, we get tons of phrases "pic or didn't happen", you name it.

But, when you get a picture, you say it's a hoax( yea, most of them are, but what about the rest?), and now you want from us to take a quality picture of a UFOs?

What will be next, you will want from us to take a picture of a interior of the craft?

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Pic of original photo clipped from or it didn't happen!

On a more serious note I think it's important to remember that the initials U.F.O. were put there for a reason. You can't identify something if you can't tell what it is. And not everyone has a zoom capable camera, nor can they always whip it out in a hurry without shaking, and possibly dropping it.

Besides, the whole point of going over a picture of something mysterious is appealing to many. It's interesting to determine the how or what. It's very human, actually, to wonder about such things. Lighten up! It's great to know you figured it out but the truth is it was only a U.F.O. to you until you saw the zoomed version. It was probably a joy-kill to realize though that you caught something very mundane. Here's to NOT solving all the mysteries of life before we've all had to joy of exploring them.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by H1ght3chHippie
So you're basically saying "If you are not 100% sure of being able to identify the object you are about to photograph, do not even waste your time taking a picture."

Is it just me, or doesn't that make any sense at all ? If you'd always be able to identify what you see, there would hardly be any U left in UFO, leading the whole issue ad absurdum.

I think that it should be more like "if it doesn't have enough detail to make an identification it's not useful for that purpose".

A photo where we can only see a white dot doesn't show any characteristic that makes it possible to identify what was captured, either when comparing it with known objects or to compare it with future photos or sightings, but a photo should be taken, specially if it helps other people to get a better idea of the conditions in which the sighting occurred.

For example, one week ago I took this photo.

Is it good enough to make an identification? I don't think so, as I don't see enough detail, but I know what it was because I was expecting it to appear at that time on that area of the sky, it's the International Space Station.
If it was something unknown I would have taken the photo, as I could not be sure how it would look and because even with too little detail to make a positive identification it can possibly be used to compare it with a slightly better photo and get an idea if it was the same thing or not.

So, in conclusion, always take a photo, but only post it if it may help in some way.

PS: just a story is enough, we don't need photos or video to know something.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

there are lots of other things than photo/video in ufology research.. you cant suspect everything captured by camera as ufo, it showed your mindset are looking for ufo at anything, and it will turn on you and embarras you.

i find theres too much focus on photo threads in ATS , as if putting a blurry digital image is enough to be called ufo research today

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Photographs, even good ones, aren't great evidence.

They really need to be coupled with other evidence to amount to anything, such as multiple independent eye witnesses, physical evidence, radar tracking, or things like that.

In fact, any event which is supported by a single data point can only be suggestive. It can't go much beyond that.

But it's always better to share the information than not. Because it may lead to other data points, and a genuinely intriguing case may form.

I realize ATS is beset by scores of amateur debunkers who pose the same set of explanations for every photo or video. And it can be tedious running that gauntlet when you post a photo or video. But something similar will occur wherever you post it. And if that's your only data point it's often the best way to start.
edit on 4-3-2013 by Moresby because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ContractedMercenary

So just to be clear, you are saying that I am lying? Yes? That I didn't see a small white dot in the sky which I could not identify? And that I know I was taking a picture of a plane.? Well, that is just plane rude!

It was too far away, all I could see was a white dot, It was moving slowly across the sky so I took a picture of it. That is the truth even if you don't want to believe it.

I am a ufo believer, btw, and I am always on the lookout for them. On this day I was watching the sky because I was photographing a kite festival.........

edit on 5-3-2013 by nothingwrong because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

I totally agree with you.

As much interest as I have in Ufology, I am annoyed to see pictures of blurred objects/dots/lights in the night sky, and even videos at times.
Of course nobody will take your own words for it so leaves too much room for debates and assumptions.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Oh, so those documents out there exist because of people filming and photo shooting airplanes in blurry quaity...

And before someone tells me I am criticizing someone's point about something he never said, it's clear this is the point, the implication and I know human thinking too well to convince me they do not imply it with such comments. Sorry if someone mistakens me for someone 'fallen from Mars'

For example, let's take some credible case.. maybe the Phoenix lights or maybe a triangle shaped lights in 2004 (or was it 2008) in Tinley Park, IL. So... I remember people were seeing that with a telescope and yet they appeared to be lights even at max zoom.. just light blobs..

Sure if you have a pro camera go ahead but sometimes it is better than nothing. I can say low quality videos still differ from hoaxes with blurry objects because you can always sense something fake and not realistic about hoax videos.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

(sheds tears of joy) Bravo! Bravo! A voice of reason!

edit on 6/3/13 by Foundryman because: sheds not heds

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Is it good enough to make an identification? I don't think so, as I don't see enough detail, but I know what it was because I was expecting it to appear at that time on that area of the sky, it's the International Space Station.

But if you didn't know it was the ISS and posted it here, there would a certain segment shouting it was proof of alien craft in near earth orbit.

top topics

join