It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USDA Set to Approve Horse Meat Slaughter in US

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 05:41 AM
link   
The USDA is likely to approve a horse slaughtering plant in New Mexico in the next two months.

What are your thoughts?

______beforeitsnews/alternative/2013/03/usda-set-to-approve-horse-meat-slaughter-in-us-2580708.html

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by riverwild

we cant drink raw milk

but we can eat a horse.

fantastic.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Meat is meat.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by riverwild

I don't see a problem, horse meat is just as edible as cow or
chicken or pork or iguana or snake or squirrel or sting ray
etc etc etc. the only thing people don't like is that's its a horse.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I say Neigh!!! I didn't realize the US was that far along in a meat shortage. Or they just putting up this charade to make it appear to the rest of the world that it's ok to eat horsemeat like they are doing in the UK? Mr. Ed is rolling in his grave....Ohh..Wilbur...

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I have mixed emotions about this issue. Since it has been illegal to slaughter horses in the US, horses are often shipped to Mexico to be slaughtered in an exceptionally cruel manner.
There's a video, which I will not post here because it's so disgusting, where the horses were chased into a chute and stabbed repeatedly in the back to sever the spinal cord to paralyze them so the killing could happen.
Bringing it back to the US, I would hope it would be a more controlled situation with more emphasis on "humane" treatment since I don't think the practice of slaughtering horses can be stopped.

I'm a horse trainer and my horses, when the time comes, are euthanized humanely in their stall with its " people" around it.
I just want to say to all the potential horsemeat eaters: Horses are companions to their humans, we use medications for their comfort, steroids, painkillers, tranquilizers, dewormers, ulcer meds, feed supplements, etc, etc.
There are big competitions with big money, racing is a big business with a massive amount of drugs and growth hormones involved and also a big number of slaughter horses are failed racehorses that have been pumped full of questionable drugs since young.
There are illegal, hard to detect drugs that are used, that stay in the system/ tissue for up to 6 months.

Even if I wasn't a horse lover, I wouldn't touch horsemeat with a ten foot pole!

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Barbarians. But all meat eaters fall into that category (I used to eat meat, so I've been there). As for "meat being meat", a corpse is a corpse, of course of course.

When the first plant opens watch for PETA to set up a tent-city outside of it to draw attention to this (although horses are cut up right now in America to put into dog food).

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   
The rational side of me agrees that meat is meat. However with the long time relationship between man and horse, it feels like eating a friend. A really big meaty kind of friend, but still, a friend. Nope. Not gonna do it.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Unfortunately I have had horse meat, "not knowing what it was," and fortunately for horses it tastes terrible no matter what you do to it. Sad day for one of mans best friends.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by bloodreviara
the only thing people don't like is that's its a horse.

Of course

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by LLCCLL
Unfortunately I have had horse meat, "not knowing what it was," and fortunately for horses it tastes terrible no matter what you do to it. Sad day for one of mans best friends.

This brings up another issue.

While some people dont have a problem eating horse meat, some do.

I doubt it will be labeled as HORSE MEAT.

So many of those who dont want to eat it, will be fooled into thinking it's something else.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Horsemeat scandal:

Four new products test positive

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Might as well have the jobs here they fatten the horses here. Michigan has a lot of fat farms then send them to Canada to be butchered. Big business here. The ex inlaws had fields full of horses then they would ship them to auction finally after a couple of years I was told it was a meat auction. Buy a horse for $200 fatten it up for 6 months and sell it for a grand or more
edit on 2-3-2013 by mikell because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jefferton
Meat is meat.
That's the same thing a cannibal would say.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by caterpillage
The rational side of me agrees that meat is meat. However with the long time relationship between man and horse, it feels like eating a friend. A really big meaty kind of friend, but still, a friend. Nope. Not gonna do it.
I couldn't either. My horse in my avatar is getting jittery!

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
As I posted in a similar thread.

Our family tried horse meat in the 1970s. I think it was a roast. The side dishes were probably slightly expired from a grocery store dumpster. Times were hard for us in the 70's recession. I don't remember anyone complaining about the flavor or source of the meat.

I even remember an "All in the Family" episode that was about that topic. As I remember that one, Mike and Gloria were cool with it, Edith was on the fence and Archie pitched a big fit (of course).

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
YUM, Beautiful and Tasty, much healthier than beef or pork with less parasitic contamination

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
There is similar thread on this topic here m.abovetopsecret.com...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by MichiganSwampBuck

I'd have to agree with Archie on this one.

I want to know what I am eating.

Should I choose to eat horse meat, I want to know that's what it is.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join