It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Legendary Australian journalist Peter Harvey dies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Veteran television journalist Peter Harvey has died aged 68 after a four-month battle with pancreatic cancer. With four decades of reporting behind him, Harvey was a stalwart of Australian journalism.

He was the only Australian reporter with American forces when the first Gulf War broke out, reported on the sacking of Gough Whitlam in 1975, and traveled the globe, reporting from the White House, 10 Downing Street, and The Kremlin.

He has been called 'a journalist's journalist'. Peter was best known for his time in Canberra, covering politics with distinction and earning the respect of politicians from all parties. But he was extraordinarily versatile - a war correspondent before his long stint in the national capital, and then turning his hand to everything from showbiz to crime reporting to commentary for 60 Minutes after transferring to Sydney in 1997.

abc.net.au

news.com.au

Peter Harvey was probably the greatest Journalist in Australian history. His work was unbiased, informative and entertaining. I've read comments likening him to Walter Cronkite, for those Americans that may be reading this.

He is one of the old guard, who reported all the facts, and did it honestly and with integrity. In reporting politics, he had no bias or incentive, just a commitment to bringing the public all the facts and perspectives, allowing the people to decide for themselves.

A lot of so called journos could learn from this man. I'd advise anyone who may not of heard of this man to go to youtube or elsewhere, to witness his work for yourselves, and see how journalism should be done.

Peter Harvey, Heaven.

edit on 2-3-2013 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thecakeisalie

Peter Harvey, Heaven.

edit on 2-3-2013 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

Lmao,

sadly you have to know the mans way to get that.

RIP old guy. Been around as long as I can remember..

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 05:14 AM
link   
How sad for is family and all Australians really. He was or seemed to be the one to stop and listen to, maybe came across as the truth speaker in journalism. Just that voice so convincing and just been there forever or as long as I can remember. Gees he went so quick.... Sad day in australian television.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
i grew up watching Peter. What a great reporter and channel 9 showed a an excelleng biography on him last night. RIP

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I had some favorites, here in America,as I was growing up, Walter C being one of them.
Walter was with me and my family when Armstrong took his lunar stroll. What a memory.

I've heard of this fellow. But really don't know his body of work.
Perhaps some of you could steer me to some examples that might exemplify this man's career?
I'm going to go looking on my own, but I'm sure some of you know of some of his best.

Sorry for your loss of such an important cultural icon.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   
He will be missed. He is one of the few journos I actually still cared about his opinion - him and George Negus.

Anyway, in tribute to the great man.......

Peter Harvey, Canberra.

edit on 2/3/2013 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Makes us realise our own mortality.

RIP PH

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Thank you for your service Peter Harvey, you are a legend.

That leaves Derryn Hinch as the last remaining true journalist.

edit on 3-3-2013 by Pedro4077 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pedro4077

Agreed - although I would also add George Negus to that list. I respect what he says and the effort he puts into researching a story and presenting the facts as they are, no spin or nonsense.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Aussies are really taking this badly.
Peter was a total LEGEND.
Australia mourns...

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
RIP Peter Harvey. Great Journalist, told it as it was. A true gentleman of the media.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I am Fully Saddened by this! Poor Mr Harvey.

He was a National treasure and will be sorely missed.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pedro4077
Thank you for your service Peter Harvey, you are a legend.

edit on 3-3-2013 by Pedro4077 because: (no reason given)

you must be joking, derryn hinch couldnt see the lofty ideals peter harvey held with the hubble telescope, he is a hack of the lowest order and doesnt even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as peter harvey

top topics

join