It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forget Europe: US May OK Horse Meat Plant

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Forget Europe: US May OK Horse Meat Plant

What timing: With Europe trying to rein in a horse meat scandal, the US may give the green light to a horse slaughtering plant in New Mexico. The facility, which would produce horse meat that's safe to eat, could get Agriculture Department approval within the next two months

U.S.D.A. May Approve Horse Slaughtering

The United States Department of Agriculture is likely to approve a horse slaughtering plant in New Mexico in the next two months, which would allow equine meat suitable for human consumption to be produced in the United States for the first time since 2007.

My opinion? I'm in hopes the ban lift will pass. After seeing first hand what happens to horses when the average Joe with a big backyard and a couple a bucks is allowed to purchase and even breed them? The suffering inflicted on those same horses when packed so tight in a meat hauler they can’t move, have no water/food, only to endure this inhumane treatment mile after miserable mile to Mexico or Canada?

Then there’s the economy - among many other reasons. The economy isn't well - nothing new that. Who suffers first? The animals - especially 'big' animals.

I’ll get into more of the positive reasons later - like the benefit to Zoo’s but I do see a ‘catch’.

That opened the door for a renewal of the horse slaughter business, but only if the U.S.D.A. re-established inspections. The agency never moved to restart its equine inspection service.

Without inspections? Absolutely not. Including rigid rules/inspections. Yes.

Even the Beef industry supports the reinstating of horse slaughter in the USA. One of the reasons stated (in the same article)?

Conversely, R-CALF USA, an organization representing about 5,000 family cattle ranching operations, has filed a brief supporting Valley Meat’s legal case. Bill Bullard, its chief executive, said his members needed horse slaughtering facilities to humanely dispose of the horses they used in their businesses once they became old or incapacitated.

The same organization ceased selling horses for slaughter after the ban was implemented. They knew ’slaughter’ horses suffered far more during the long journeys to Mexico where there were no rules concerning the humane treatment of animals meant for slaughter.

peace

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 03:29 AM
link   
You know that horse meat is actually a lot better than cow or whatever.

If it was dog... or a neighbor's meat, well I could agree with this... but horse? Man thats a luxury. Enjoy your horse meat!

This is the first time I hear people complaining for getting stuff better than advertised.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Zoos

Big cats

Raptors

We want those animals to stay well also - right? Despite the deplorable practice of keeping wild animals in cages - subjecting them to the ‘loving’ throngs screaming, laughing, pointing, throwing things-that-will-kill-them into their cages day in and out?

These animals need horse meat.

Most can’t sustain any long term quality of life eating a diet consisting of primarily beef. Nope, they don't just 'need' it but crave that horsemeat.

What happened when the USA closed meat packing factories for horses? I bet you can guess - the price of dinner for our fury and feathered friend went UP! Which trickles down to more money paid for the chow? Less paid towards animals care, improvements, etc.

Local zoos caught in horse slaughter controversy

Jaya is a meat-eater. She's one of Point Defiance's two Sumatran tigers - and she eats mostly beef.

But horse meat treats are an important part of her diet. And for some other cats here horse meat is just about all they eat.

"It's a very lean choice of meat," says Point Defiance's Deputy Director John Houck, "and for those cats, we want to watch their weight and have that as an option, that's why we chose that."

Using too much beef in their diet isn’t good for them. Period.

"We could certainly put them on a beef diet," Houck said, "but right now we feel that the optimum diet for them includes horse meat."

Now on to humans...

peace

edit on 2-3-2013 by silo13 because: oops

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 03:39 AM
link   
The other red meat - Horse

Horse is generally leaner than cow. (Errr, beef—for starters, why doesn't horse meat get a cuter, less offensive name like beef or venison? Just saying.) And those who have tasted it describe it as having a “sweeter” flavor. For this article I chose a fairly lean, grass-fed strip steak for comparison.
see more

The article goes on to say - in part:

Where the meats really differ is iron concentration, with horse meat having double the iron (21% vs 10% DV) that beef contains.

Horse meat also contains substantially more vitamin B12 (50% vs 21% DV), but less B6, niacin and folate.

But what's truly impressive is the omega-3 fatty acid concentration in horse meat, which contains 360 mg (per 100 grams) compared to just 21 mg in strip steak. Omega-3s are essential fatty acids that need to be obtained from your diet. They are thought to be helpful in fighting against heart disease, stroke and neurodegeneration.

Compared to lean beef, horse meat appears to have some nutritional advantages. If we do ever manage to get past the taboo, at least we know there's good nutrition on the other side.

A red meat that's better for you than beef? Where's the BBQ!

peace
edit on 2-3-2013 by silo13 because: placing

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

It's not accurate to say horse meat is better. In cow meat there are varying qualities. Horse meat will be no different. The question is, what quality are we talking about. In these recent instances where they were lying about the meat, it was most likely because it was bad quality horse meat. It's a matter of profit not concern for public health. This isnt about horse meat it's about big business, and all the shady practices that often accompany it.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Horse is Ok, like a mix of venison and kangaroo.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

Welll.. just because it's horse DNA doesn't mean you got the good stuff.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Every time I read these threads about horse meat I want to pull my hair out in exasperation and exhaustion. I cannot fathom the complacency going on in them. I give up. Carry on then people. Yes horse meat is great, the quality they used is superb, these corporations upgraded your meat at no extra cost, just for you. Go on believing that. Nothing to see here folks, move along. Nom nom nom.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Why we're at it, let's include people. Can you imagine the meat that's wasted every year? Between burial and cremation, hundreds of thousands of pounds. We could save untold acres of land. There could be meat inspectors trained to test for disease, just like in cattle. They could just mix it in with those pressed and processed "hams" that come in a can. It is called long pig. Spam wouldn't have to change the name of their product either. Well, maybe. They could call it Speople. Why not include cats and dogs? Animal shelters would clear out in a week.
Just like any industry that deals with animals, there will be cruelty and inhumane treatment of those animals. I don't want to think of something so noble, beautiful and graceful winding up on a plate, with a baked potato and salad on the side. I already avoid Burger King and I'll boycott any product that includes horse meat. How 'bout we quit breeding like rabbits and eating everything that moves?

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Let them eat horse... Things are getting bad when we have to eat horse. Last time people ate horse in the UK was in the WW2

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Horses deserve a lot more respect they have been mans best friend for century's they have helped in battles helped in the industrial revolution and much more horses should never be put onto the food chain with chickens sheep and cows horses suffered the same treatment as African slaves.
edit on 2-3-2013 by SupersonicSerpent because: ...

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   
I am a HUMAN BEING god damn it, and I demand that I can eat anything that I like.

If I choose to eat a live dolphin, slowly ripped apart as I slice chunks off it, writhing in agony as I add salt to taste, then as a HUMAN BEING I can damn well do as I please.

I think I'll deep fry some kittens.. probably won't eat them, but hey, I'm a HUMAN BEING god damn it. I can do what I like as I'm the top of the food chain.

I'm fat, greasy, slow, and will never reproduce. I DESERVE MY HORSE MEAT.

I think I should be able to blend up puppies and drink their warm juices too.

HUMAN GOD DAMN IT!!!!!!!

thats all I hear...

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

In that case if a shark decides to rip a human being to pieces and eat it it should be allowed to do so with out been hunted by a harpoon party.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   
People get their panties in a twist over horse meat. I'm tempted to post the picture of a local grocery store who put a sign on the aisle with "Horse meat, for your lasagne" because of all the hysteria.
I think a delicious metwurst sandwich is in order ->

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

People get their panties in a twist over horse meat.

My panties are twisted over false advertisement. Over deceit.... Imagine that.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

What part of 'false advertising' and/or the concept of eating horse meat frustrates you? I'm interested to know.

Let me preface it by saying I don't believe horses will ever be 'grown' for meat as other animals.

That being said? It's horrific horses are bred to produce the product derived from the urine of mares in foal to help stop hot flashes in women. These mares must stand at all times, are tied at all times and never get to know their foals nor visa versa. Now THAT pisses me off. If you’d like to know more of what I speak go to this link as a start: Premarine Foals

But - if a horse becomes irretrievably lame and it's just not economically feasible for the owners to keep the horse on in retirement. At that point? As long as it's done humanly - dead is dead - and another big cat in the zoo or fat cat in Europe has their dinner. I understand that. Silly enough - 'growing' horses for meat? I would not.

Go figure.

peace
edit on 2-3-2013 by silo13 because: spelling

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
Let them eat horse... Things are getting bad when we have to eat horse. Last time people ate horse in the UK was in the WW2

It was more likely today.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Our family tried horse meat in the 1970s. I think it was a roast. The side dishes were probably slightly expired from a grocery store dumpster. Times were hard for us in the 70's recession. I don't remember anyone complaining about the flavor or source of the meat.

I even remember an "All in the Family" episode that was about that topic. As I remember that one, Mike and Gloria were cool with it, Edith was on the fence and Archie pitched a big fit (of course).

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
The controversy in Europe isn't about eating horsemeat, it is buying meat labelled one kind and actually containing another. You can buy horse meat to eat here.

I am for the re-opening of horse slaughter plants; because since they closed them there has been a terrible situation in the US. Horses being trucked off to Mexico, being over crowded for days in them, without food or water, and half of them dead or suffering when they arrived. The slaughterhouses in Mexico are not regulated at all, and the means of slaughter is not humane, nor are the horses inspected. You get diseased and ailing animals, with infected meat, or half full of medication (like bute).

People with suffering animals cannot usually afford to have their horse put down- it is extremely expensive! So they sell them to those who will sell them to the Mexican slaughterhouses.

If we re-open the US slaughterhouses, at least these animals can be put down humanely without unecessary suffering, and if the meat is consumed, it can be regulated.

As much as I think PETA types have good intentions, I think they sometimes do not see the bigger picture.
edit on 2-3-2013 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Like i said in the other similar topic post, Don't worry about Horse meat, atleast there is no danger of Bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE), commonly known as mad cow disease.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join