It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Criminalise War Clubs: From the Mouths of Children

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   

They say that big ideas start from humble beginnings. In the pantheon of ideas, perhaps there is none bigger than the quest to criminalize war. The concept itself is difficult for many to process at first. It does not mean to uphold some mere code of war conduct, making certain atrocities committed during times of war punishable as “war crimes,” as in the Geneva Convention. Instead, the concept of criminalizing war seeks to make warfare itself a crime, punishable as an offense no matter when or how it is waged or under what pretext.

The concept was unveiled at the International Conference on War-Affected Children which took place at the Putra World Trade Centre on November 22nd last year. Attended by dignitaries including former Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad and current PM Najib Razak, the event sought to draw attention to the plight of children in war-torn countries around the world.

The event also saw the launch of a new initiative by the Kuala Lumpur Foundation to Criminalize War. Called “Criminalise War Clubs,” the aim is to encourage the development of independent, student-run organizations around the idea of criminalizing war. The organization’s charter was formally signed by the Prime Minister and other dignitaries, and the first two chapters of what is planned to be a global phenomenon were started with a reading of the charter.Source

The clubs are just one program spearheaded by the Kuala Lumpur Foundation to Criminalise War, the non-governmental organization founded by Mahathir Mohamad in 2007. Its other initiatives include the Kuala Lumpur War Crimes Commission, comprised of scholars, lawyers and high-ranking officials from around the world, and the Kuala Lumpur War Crimes Tribunal, which successfully prosecuted George Bush, Dick Cheney, and others last year for their participation in war crimes in the war on terror.Source

PressTV News report;

You can read and or download "Criminalise War Magazine Volume I" Here

There is a lot of information in the links and the magazine to cover but I suggest taking some time to look it over. Basically, it is on the premise that for someone to take a single life is against the law and so too should the taking of many lives rather than being applauded. In the fist video, as the children speak, there are some astounding numbers of children deaths and injuries given and it is the purpose of these juvenile groups to try and bring an end to it.

This generation of leaders is too far gone into the "Necessity" of war to even give consideration to criminalizing war but if these clubs catch on globally the future generations just might see real accomplishments toward peace. They are not naive enough to think that they can eradicate violence but they are attempting to put to an end weapons of mass destruction and warfare on the grand scale. I personally think this is a good idea and one I can stand behind as it is time for US, the People of Earth, to grow up and stop devaluing all life on this planet.

What say you ATS?

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I understand their passion but its simply a dumb idea.

Here's why.

In order to criminalize something you need to have an overriding authority. Who is going to be this authority that holds countries responsible?

The UN?

Now suppose a country wants to commit war and this authority goes after them to prosecute them, how are they going to do it?

Invade them and go to war with them to capture the leaders and hold them accountable?

Its really the only way, therefore they will be conducting the same thing they are against and would be in violation of their own law.

Just not possible, ever, in a hundred million years.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

I honestly think you are looking at this in a simplistic point of view. These clubs are being formed with children. remember the old saying "The Children are our future"? IF(and I know it is a big IF) these clubs catch on and it goes global, there will be a large group of "Up and Comers" that could very well step into positions of power and therefore would be the authority you are questioning. If a child is willing to put this much belief and work into something that work will carry on into their adult life and work ethics and this gives a very good possibility that they can accomplish what they have set out to achieve.

I do not think this is going to be that hard to catch on in the global arena as so many children today are faced with the constant fear of war, guns, etc. They are already showing signs of being tired of it and are begging for something to be done. Eventually they will see, at a much earlier age than the generations before them, that they must take action because those in the position right now won't.

Could this fail? Absolutely, just as anything else, but with the right marketing and sponsorship it could very well lead to some real changes. We will just have to wait and see or even get involved. As responsible adults looking for a better world we could get involved and start our own local chapter to help it along. In all honesty what would it hurt to try?
edit on 1-3-2013 by Agarta because: Spelling

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

It still doesn't change my point.

Your still going to have countries involved in war somewhere in the world so how are you going to deal with them if you refuse to go to war yourself?

They will simply march around the world taking over one country at a time until they finally get to your doorstep.

Its a nice idea but its simply not realistic.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

I accept that you believe this and that only you can change your thinking but in my opinion it is thoughts like this that have us where we are in this world and why we have not found peace on a global scale. This isn't a "get rich quick scheme" it is real people trying to make real changes and not just sitting back and making excuses as to why we can't change the world. This is not meant to be a cut to you or your thoughts but if we don't do something there will not be a future to look forward to. I realize that people are out for themselves in todays day and age and not looking to the future once they are gone but this is part of the problem and does nothing to fix what we ourselves have let happen.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest

In order to criminalize something you need to have an overriding authority. Who is going to be this authority that holds countries responsible?

And can a country that can enforce all of its laws ever actually move forward?

top topics

join