It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DARPA’s BigDog can throw cinder blocks farther than you!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

I'm pretty sure Japan is way ahead of everybody in the robot business. They have robots that look human, walk and talk. They have one that looks even more ferocious than this one. It looks like it has 50 cal. guns on it.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I guess it's time to sharpen the high frequency ion blade, dust off the ol nano tech suit and start slicin' up some advanced ground based war dogs.

I'm pretty sure metal gear solid is portraying our future, and it's not just a fictional plot in a video game.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
The Big Dog is by far my favorite military project out there, right now. However, I am curious as to what type of battery they have attached to this thing (if any at all). What is its primary power source and how efficient in its energy consumption is it?

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ForwardDrift

I think they have one or more with a little gas engine inside, like a Kohler or something.

Get this thing to go hay balein' with me, and I'll test it for them. Nothing more tiresome than picking up square bales and stacking them on a trailer at a trot.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
That thing needs fur, a skull and a tail....

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

Dang man! Get one of those round bailers! I grew up hauling hay. The itching was terrible! If you took a hot shower afterward it made it worse. You have to take cold showers or continue itching.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

Was piddlin' around with a kettlebell the other day, and realized that it was exactly the same motion as grabbing a hay bale and tossing it up onto the trailer. I'd grown up 'kettlebelling' the rustic way.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I know this might sound silly to some but, remember the movie Terminator. I'm a firm believer in Murphy's Law
and I can see a lot that can go wrong here. If it's computerized, it moves under it's own power, weighs as much as a car, can carry 5-700 pounds, and can throw Cinder Blocks..........WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG (Chinese Hacker)????
edit on 3-3-2013 by pistolerooo because: Added to post

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Just the birth of tomorrow's Robotic Army.Soon our drones with be engaging in dog fighting super jets whose g
G-forces will be to much for humans and now...the beginning of our ground forces.I just saw a doc.about a small,fast,well armed boat that patrols our shores called"Protector.This is future war tech.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Hi KDog -

I have to admit my first reaction was - Sure it can throw a cinder block - but can it aim!

Remember the part in Braveheart where the huge red headed warrior throws the huge boulder at Walalce - but after sidestepping the assault quite neatly Wallace plants a rock square between the warriors eyes bowling him over in place?

Now to the question: What the hell kind of ‘rock’ could you use against THAT THING!

*Run away* is right!

peace

edit on 3-3-2013 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Righhtttt I can see this thing coming when SHTF... dig a hole... fill with water... cover with branches and grass... sit back and time how long its battery last while its struggling hopeless in water and sand... Wait until the battery runs out...

I want one... I wanna recycle it into the geekiest coffee table ever...

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Just a thought:

I think the tap dancing is the lack of something we take for granted every day...Balance.

Our brains just do it...unless you have an ear infection and your equilibrium gets dicked up. But the machine is dealing with input from sensors most likely...and its got to interpret all that and apply it pretty fast to stay up and counter balance the movement of throwing the block...

When they get that as smooth as we are...then you wont hear it coming.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 04:21 AM
link   
With the exposed hydraulic lines and actuators this would be a sitting duck. Come at me dawg! Also note the power is being supplied separately. This dawg will be a whole lot more docile carrying his own power.
edit on 3-3-2013 by groingrinder because: Edited for spelling.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join