It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student researchers discover building blocks of DNA in cosmic cloud

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Student researchers discover building blocks of DNA in cosmic cloud

www.rawstory.com

The beginnings of the beginnings of life, the fundamental building blocks of DNA and RNA, have been detected in cosmic clouds near the center of the Milky Way galaxy, student researchers at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO) announced Thursday.

Using the Green Bank Telescope in West Virginia to look closely at the Sagittarius B2 molecular cloud, students detected the radio signals generated by rotational transitions of two prebiotic molecules, cyanomethanimine and ethanamine, key to the formation of DNA and the amino acid alanine.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Building blocks of DNA discovered in deep space. Kinda links in well with pansperma theory and I would think greatly increases the chances of finding life out there in the universe.

There is a video to watch on the link. Soz I cannot watch videos from here so I cannot really comment on it.

Why does it take a student to find something like this. You would think that NASA would have been there already. Unless they are hiding this kind of information from us.

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
There's no way to prove their claims. These students are just misinterpreting data to bring more funding to the project. If a student makes an error, it's because they're a bright-eyed student. If the professor/project chairman makes an error, goodbye funding. This smells of total BS.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Think of it as a radio, transmitting a signal out and things pick up the signal and use it as a guide. Each galaxy has different signals and different forms of beings...

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

I do not get is why do you think the students are just misinterpreting data...?

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Amino acids have been found in various "cosmic" places.
It's not so much an indication of panspermia as such but it is an indication that life may not have needed to start completely "from scratch".

It presents the interesting possibility that life anywhere (if aided by these cosmic amino acids) would be DNA based.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

I stated quite clearly why they're misinterpreting data. This telescope is used constantly, but all of a sudden they found something? No, I'm not buying it.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Perhaps you missed this:

To identify cyanomethanimine and ethanamine, the team used new technology to study both molecules’ radio signals in the laboratory, then matched the data pattern to observations from signals in Sagittarius B2.

www.rawstory.com...

New tools. New discoveries. That's the way it works.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Space... It is a pretty big place you know.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

That's as vague as UFO nonsense, and you know it. I need more than "We did our magic flim-flam & used the new wingus-dingus". I want facts. You should too.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Ok.

The discoveries were made possible by new technology that speeds the process of identifying the "fingerprints" of cosmic chemicals. Each molecule has a specific set of rotational states that it can assume. When it changes from one state to another, a specific amount of energy is either emitted or absorbed, often as radio waves at specific frequencies that can be observed with the GBT.

www.nrao.edu...

They weren't the only ones looking for such signatures.

Methods: Experimental spectra of 2-aminopropionitrile have been recorded in the microwave and submm energy range (8-80 GHz, 150-660 GHz). Ab initio calculations facilitated the assignment of the ground state of the most stable conformer and its five lowest excited vibrational states. An unbiased spectral survey of the 80-116 GHz atmospheric window performed with the IRAM 30 m telescope was used to search for this molecule in the hot core Sgr B2(N). This survey was analyzed in the local thermodynamical equilibrium (LTE) approximation. The emission of 2-aminopropionitrile was modeled simultaneously with the emission of all molecules known in Sgr B2(N), which allowed us to properly take into account line blending and avoid misassignments.

adsabs.harvard.edu...

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by DaTroof

Ok.

The discoveries were made possible by new technology that speeds the process of identifying the "fingerprints" of cosmic chemicals. Each molecule has a specific set of rotational states that it can assume. When it changes from one state to another, a specific amount of energy is either emitted or absorbed, often as radio waves at specific frequencies that can be observed with the GBT.

www.nrao.edu...

They weren't the only ones looking for such signatures.

Methods: Experimental spectra of 2-aminopropionitrile have been recorded in the microwave and submm energy range (8-80 GHz, 150-660 GHz). Ab initio calculations facilitated the assignment of the ground state of the most stable conformer and its five lowest excited vibrational states. An unbiased spectral survey of the 80-116 GHz atmospheric window performed with the IRAM 30 m telescope was used to search for this molecule in the hot core Sgr B2(N). This survey was analyzed in the local thermodynamical equilibrium (LTE) approximation. The emission of 2-aminopropionitrile was modeled simultaneously with the emission of all molecules known in Sgr B2(N), which allowed us to properly take into account line blending and avoid misassignments.

adsabs.harvard.edu...

I #ing love you Phage... Just thought you should know ha ha

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:02 PM
link   
The Great Phage has spoken, and for once I agree.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
find proof of evolution on earth

before you start seeing it in space.

none of the students or professors can even
count the hairs on their own head, much less
find or see DNA in space with a telescope.

When was the last time the telescope was calibrated?
And will the students submit bodily fluids for a urine drug screen?
I will pay for it.

edit on 1-3-2013 by slugger9787 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-3-2013 by slugger9787 because: added last two sentences

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Interestingly alcohol and sugar have also been detected in the same part of space.

Perhaps aliens like wine with their pudding, I know I do.

Even if these frequencies / signals can be proven, it doesn't give proof of evolution or anything else, it could mean many things. It would be good to know of ALL the substances believed to have been 'found' in space.

www.rawstory.com...

The NRAO team has been searching for molecules in space for years, discovering radio signals from over 700 different molecules which have yet to be identified. One of them, researchers announced in 2001, is alcohol. Researchers have also detected sugar in Sagittarius B2.

edit on 1-3-2013 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   

This seems pretty logical. I try to stress this point that life is far more complex and beautiful than all this god hocus pocus. Even god himself/itself is interesting on the fact of they are only the creators of stars in this system. The galaxy is many times in comparison. When life from evolved bacteria and viruses comes to terms with what it is it in turn too creates life and spreads it. The reason why life spreads is because of its viral and bacterial nature.

Rna is programed tho, so in a sense you got to take all of this spiritually. Because how one person programs himself defines his gene structure. Look around you at all the different people that exist. All was made possible by conquering viruses and taking proteins for constant evolution. In synchronicity the viruses mutate and evolve. And among few of us that get infected by us we too evolve. And the cycle carries on till we acquire many tools and assets from these little critters. In Orion God over there has that nursery from which all the scientists look to in the sky. From that constellation these origins of our life on earth are becoming more vivid and less translucent. The texts of old spoke of such things.

In the time of enlightenment people will come to terms with what they are. Nay i say not the soul exists. It does as much as the RNA programming from experiences. Viruses experience things too. And as our dreams and memories are fragments of programing. One can safely assume such programming touches all wakes of life. All eyes and minds of people are programmed by one another. These connections tether, Viruses are what gave us the ability to smell and remember. Pharamons. Such is minor psychic links. The more proteins that are added upon those blocks that develop upon the senses of smell will flurish psychic abilities. Smelling a plant like a flower can rewrite your dna. So can eating an apple. As you become accustomed to tricks tools and assets developed by plants who in turn got it from a bacteria or virus. That scent from a flower, or bite from an apple allows those tools to create chemicals in your body that crave the said organism. This can be seen in nature, As some birds seem to be symbiotically controlled by plants. Once a bird eats its seed it allows for possible dna restructure, That bird may act differently after eating that seed. For instance, Eating pests on the tree and lurking more closely around that species.

Once people awaken to the possiblity that all this supernatural stuff can be explained by science. That the spritual itself very much exists. As programming is created by consiousness. And consiousness is created by evolving life. Evolving life creates more life. And eventually these suns lose their usefulness. Explode, only to be reconverted by evolved life into more stars. Its a strange symbiotic nature the universe.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
in fact i garentee humans are somewhat more evolved than they were 100 years ago even
We did struggle through quite a few epidemics you know. Couple niches poped up. Had babies and now we got mega viruses pwning people. But don't worry. Its only because they have not infected an individual who has the right set of genes for the new rna proteins virus just randomly inject all over the place. lol. Eventually they find one where they evolve or where we evolve. Welcome to population control. Where Genocide only exists for people who can't really provide blood tests. If they ant contribooting to humanties evolution they cut.

Well that's how the gov feels anyways.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by slugger9787
find proof of evolution on earth

before you start seeing it in space.

none of the students or professors can even
count the hairs on their own head, much less
find or see DNA in space with a telescope.

When was the last time the telescope was calibrated?
And will the students submit bodily fluids for a urine drug screen?
I will pay for it.

edit on 1-3-2013 by slugger9787 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-3-2013 by slugger9787 because: added last two sentences

To be fair, why would you want to count the hairs on your head? Seems kind of pointless.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Only human arrogance could come to the conclusion we are alone in the universe.
Only human arrogance would assume that in order for life to develop elsewhere, it must have the same conditions we have here on earth.

Calvin and Hobbes said it best -

We are finding the building blocks of life all over the cosmos....

I think true ET disclosure will come, not from A Governemt or the Pentagon, but from the 14 year old kid who understands that all science starts with the statement "I do not know" followed up with an open mind and no preconceptions.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 02:43 AM
link   
i'm not saying beings from space are the ones creating every star and planet. But what i meant by the statement of evolved life scavenging off of exploded stars. The process itself happens naturally but evolved life can speed this process up. There are a number of strange heavenly bodies we can see from our point of view in the universe.

I don't really speculate on the existence of ET being here, because of my own experiences.

But for others i can see it as a swimming questing in your head, i remember it was for a long long time. But to have something like that given to me at such a young age. I must have other things i'm meant to speculate, And share my experiences so that others may pass the tests. But beyond me sounding like a complete nut.

The untouched people got something good going on, You gotta love the enthusiasm and the sheer drive and wonder of Yes or no? What's out there?

Even then with all my knowledge, I still know nothing. And in 60 years to come, tho i will be wise i will still know nothing.

This little blip here called earth. I know nothing of these other bodies that exist, their passed - the people the plant life, the minerals and such. I know nothing of this. And beyond my senses given to me. I can not see beyond. And for all the glory that is our creators. They too know nothing. For the space and spans of all time. We here on earth often talk like its the only place happenin at the moment.

To know all is impossible. lol. But you can know a lot. Only challenges and death can stop you.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join