It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watch A Baby's Face Change Color With Her Tiny, Normally Invisible Pulse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Hello ATS.

From Popsci (This video is also available from NYTimes)
This is amazing:

From New York Times

A team of scientists at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology has developed a computer program that reveals colors and motions in video that are otherwise invisible to the naked eye.

From Popsci

Scientists at the Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL) at MIT first presented "Eulerian video magnification" last year at SIGGRAPH, a computer graphics conference. Originally, the system -- which lets you identify from afar if a person is breathing, how fast their heart is beating and where blood is traveling in their body -- was designed to monitor the vital signs of neonatal infants without having to touch them.

It measures the color intensity of pixels and then amplifies any changes in that intensity, registering the slight reddening of your face in conjunction with your pulse, for example. You can apply the system to videos retroactively, to a scene from your favorite Batman movie, perhaps.

This is pretty amazing in my eyes. I have a baby due on March 6th and i'm going to be staring like a mad man at his face trying to see this in real time!

Please visit the links provided for more info.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Wow that was so cool! Thanks!

Oh and have the baby on the 7th if you can cause that is an awesome number!

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage

I'll tell my missus.

She just shouted at me... What's her problem?

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Cool technology I guess?

How is this better than a heartbeat/breathing monitor?

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
Cool technology I guess?

How is this better than a heartbeat/breathing monitor?

Maybe the fact that they don't have to touch the infant?

From the second ex-text in the OP:

Originally, the system -- which lets you identify from afar if a person is breathing, how fast their heart is beating and where blood is traveling in their body -- was designed to monitor the vital signs of neonatal infants without having to touch them.
edit on 1/3/2013 by SilentE because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SilentE

That's pretty dumb. You can touch infants. Infants crave contact. I'd trust an actual measured heart rate before I trust a program which takes a pixel then AMPLIFIES its brightness based on an algorithm. Like I said, the concept is cool but completely impractical for medical use. In fact, any hospital or parent using this technology in place of real measurements is incredibly negligent.

I could see other applications in nature, but keep this out of the hospital. The video is a total joke.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SilentE

Originally posted by abeverage

I'll tell my missus.

She just shouted at me... What's her problem?

HAHA! Whoops I was not sure if you was the papa or the mama. Yeah you shouldna told her that...live an learn!

Well good luck that is unless she rips your head off for that stupid comment! HAHA

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
reply to post by SilentE

That's pretty dumb. You can touch infants. Infants crave contact. I'd trust an actual measured heart rate before I trust a program which takes a pixel then AMPLIFIES its brightness based on an algorithm. Like I said, the concept is cool but completely impractical for medical use. In fact, any hospital or parent using this technology in place of real measurements is incredibly negligent.

I could see other applications in nature, but keep this out of the hospital. The video is a total joke.

Ok, i'm not a doctor, i'm a landscape gardener so i'm not sure how well this will work in a hopsital but I found it pretty incredible that we can see the blood movement in our face etc.

What I do know is that during the first 28 days of a baby being born, (neonatal) they are at their highest risk of dying. So if this new method turns out to be something useful for the doctors then they could cut the risks down by not touching the infant and using this new method. Like a premature baby with special problems. weak immune system and all that.
Like I said i'm no doctor..
I'm also not very good at getting my point across.

The video is a total joke.

I don't agree with that.
edit on 1/3/2013 by SilentE because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

I think its pretty intelligent, and not at all dumb.

I don't see the tech being suggested as a replacement for human touch!

The video merely shows a couple of ways that this could be used.

Now, cynical old me, would like to see the technology in the courtrooms of the world.

Just so we could see the real heartbeat of the accused, behind the cool, and collected smiles.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

lol, my missus took your advice in the end... She had our son today (the 7 march) at 7.20pm!

posted on Mar, 8 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by SilentE
reply to post by abeverage

lol, my missus took your advice in the end... She had our son today (the 7 march) at 7.20pm!

THAT IS AWESOME!!! Let him know I had a good birthday too! And that 7 is always a lucky number! Oh look at the time too! 7:20 I was born at 6:50 but pretty much my mom says 7 lol

Congratulations! Being a Dad is incredible!

top topics

join