It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers find 'structure' in black hole accretion disk

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Hello ATS.
This article goes straight over my head but I thought I would share it here, knowing there is some intelligent folks who know much more about this sort of thing and could maybe shed some light on what this 'structure' could be.

A team of researchers working at the Astrophysical Institute of the Canary Islands has found evidence of a previously unknown structure in the accretion disk of a black hole that is part of an X-ray binary system. The structure, as they describe in their paper published in the journal Science, presents itself with a wave like movement through the disk, moving outward.

From phys.org

Please visit the link to watch two short videos of a simulation of the X-ray binary system Swift J1357.2-0933.

The researchers don't know what the structure is, but have found that it does not demonstrate periodic variation, an indication that it's vertical, and that it is capable of hiding the black hole from view. They report also that it behaves like a wave, moving through the disk in an outward direction, which accounts for the rapid dimming.

That the structure appears capable of hiding the black hole from view is important because space researchers have been baffled by the apparent lack of black holes that should be evident in observations made from Earth. After a half century of study and analysis, only 18 have been confirmed to exist in the Milky Way and none of those have an eclipse that would cause X-ray emissions to be blocked. Scientists have theorized that many black holes cannot be seen due to the angle at which they exist relative to us—this new research suggests it could also be due to structures similar to the one observed in the accretion disk of Swift J1357.2, blocking their X-ray emissions.

So, anyone have any idea of what this 'structure' could be?

Please visit the links provided for more information and VIDEOS.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
A wormhole linked power siphon for a type
4 civilization? Wonder if it could be waves
of dark matter or something like that, that's
just random guessing by a completely unqualified
person, i can't wait to find out though.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Maybe it makes it so you can travel through those suckers?

This is pretty crazy because if it turns out to be an actually object, well you know what I'm hinting at...

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by bloodreviara
A wormhole linked power siphon for a type
4 civilization? Wonder if it could be waves
of dark matter or something like that, that's
just random guessing by a completely unqualified
person, i can't wait to find out though.

That's better than what I could come up with!

I just thought.. 'Structure' = Spaceship

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
The term "structure" simply means a natural formation. It does not indicate something that was manufactured by sentient beings.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowhawk
The term "structure" simply means a natural formation. It does not indicate something that was manufactured by sentient beings.

Or does it......

Still, would be interesting to find out just what 'it' is.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowhawk

And possibly not even a material structure, but some kind of standing-wave phenomenon, such as might cause destructive interference in light emitted from immediately around the hole.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Natural 'Structure' or not its still an interesting find.

Thank you for posting this for us.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   
*Paging Phage*

I'm on board with the structures doesn't mean buildings made by intelligent creatures, but that said, this is all very interesting so thanks for posting.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 02:38 AM
link   
mass relay?

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 02:58 AM
link   
There is a "structure" (electron wave pattern) in atoms that have p orbitals that looks very much like the image you posted. chemistry.umeche.maine.edu...

Not sure that this is a relevant observation or not but I found it cool. Maybe someone who knows more about physics can make something of it

edit on 2-3-2013 by SerialLurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Explanation: S&F!

I was reminded by the spiralling wave nature of this similar phenomena to do with the Solar Wind

And that reminded me about both Gravity Waves ...

Satellite image of atmospheric gravity waves over the Arabian Sea. Their visibility is due to sunglint, caused by the "impression" of the atmospheric waves on the sea surface.

NASA satellite image (MODIS imager on board the Terra satellite) of a wave cloud forming off of Amsterdam Island in the far southern Indian Ocean. Image taken on December 19, 2005.

... and about Gravitational Waves

Lisa G-Waves (spaceplace.nasa.gov)
spaceplace.nasa.gov...

Ripples in spacetime generated by fast orbiting stars (neutron stars, white dwarfs or black holes).

Personal Disclosure: I hope this helps!

edit on 2-3-2013 by OmegaLogos because: Edited to fix broken font size bbcode.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Natural 'Structure' or not its still an interesting find.

Thank you for posting this for us.

Interesting choice of words. If it was "natural" they wouldn't call it a structure, but rather an anomalie or unknown celestial mass.

Ofcourse, i don't by the whole extraterrestrial crap either. I don't care how advanced a civilzation's technology is, getting caught in a blackhole's vortex is like trying to escape from God.

Next thing you know, we'll have another nutjob cult leader like Marshall Applewhite have his followers drink poison kool-aid so they can hitch a ride on the asteroid Apophis to Jesus Christ's starship in said blackhole. All new kinds of crazy are going to come out of the woodworks over this report, i can already smell it coming.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Sorry about my absence. I've just crawled out of bed. Although I don't think I can add anything constuctive anyway, this is all way out of my league.

Thanks for all the replies.
Stars all round.
edit on 2/3/2013 by SilentE because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 04:44 AM
link   
black hole is chaotic spewing out gravity waves, gas and energy
will it blend ? you might say, what would not blend in a place like that, perhaps some exotic materials unknown to us produce a unknown effect that causes a wavy fog like effect that block our view

that or ...

giant spaceship aka floating world, hosting a entire civilization blocking our view..

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

I would agree except that if a civilization were able to actually overcome
gravity then parking something like a wormhole linked power siphon
near a black whole would provide an immense amount of energy, also
just because we cannot fathom how it would be done does not for
sure mean it cannot be done, however i agree that the likelihood of
this being the case is just about nil.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   

BUT, if this civilization was able to harvest the energy of the hole they are parked at, they could use the same energy to nullify the power of attraction. something like 1000-1000=0

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Have a look at these videos, I think you'll find that it explains what is being observed.
The first is a series called primer fields : www.youtube.com...
The second series is the Thunderbolts project :www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spacespider

BUT, if this civilization was able to harvest the energy of the hole they are parked at, they could use the same energy to nullify the power of attraction. something like 1000-1000=0

I think it's more plausible that it's another blackhole. 2 black holes will dance around eachother for a while before one of them gets ejected. Theoretically that is, since no one has ever actually seen that happen. I've often wondered if it were possible for 2 blackholes to merge into a bigger entity. Supermassive blackholes probably do it, at least in my mind.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
well ... with all the mass that black hole sucks inside, it could be just matter that wasn't transformed into energy
i don't know much about black holes but seems logical.
Electrons behave like a wave too until they are observed ... maybe there's a connection?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join