It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Westboro Baptist Church...whats up with that?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I just learned of this...Church? Im not even sure.

At first I really thought it was a joke, like out of the Onion Magazine.

Are there any ATS members that go to this church? Help me understand.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by mrperplexed

any links or reason why you thought it was a joke ?

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   

I'm real familiar with the WBC by following them over the years. Having a military leaning family, their animal acts have been of interest to see. I've also volunteered with the local National Cemetery if they need anyone to help block views in case they protest here.

They aren't a Church in more than name. They are a family. A literal, blood and incestuous family (for the most part). Their sole purpose in life seems to be spreading their messages of hate against those in their weakest moments to take such abuse. Basically, a bunch of oxygen thieves, IMO.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by darknewt

any links or reason why you thought it was a joke ?

If you google them.. just look at thier website domain name.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

I'm real familiar with the WBC by following them over the years. Having a military leaning family, their animal acts have been of interest to see. I've also volunteered with the local National Cemetery if they need anyone to help block views in case they protest here.

They aren't a Church in more than name. They are a family. A literal, blood and incestuous family (for the most part). Their sole purpose in life seems to be spreading their messages of hate against those in their weakest moments to take such abuse. Basically, a bunch of oxygen thieves, IMO.

Interesting. Sounds like it is a very limited, narrow following then. I was hoping it was not some Mega Church like the First Baptist of Dallas.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
There are fringe elements in every group, regardless of ideology. Westboro is the extreme fringe element of the evangelical Christians.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

yep... I think that about covers it

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Westboro baptist "church" is a family of lawyers passing themselves
off as a church.They make all of their money from lawsuits.They are the
group that picket at funerals and cause serious emotional stress to these
grieving families.They also spew hatred for this,that and the other.That is
all they are,a hate-filled family that believe they are doing God's work.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

These jerks threatined to come to Sandy Hook Newtown to protest at the wakes and funnerals...Ya know what we did???
We got a army of us Vol. Firefighters up there to stop them... not just us but ton's off of duty cops and firefighter from the whole Tri State area! Even had over 500 from the CT Ride Club...They backed off big time!

edit on 1-3-2013 by nighthawk1954 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-3-2013 by nighthawk1954 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I posted the following Wednesday on a similar thread regarding the Westboro Baptists, repeated here for the benefit of those who claim that WBC is not a church (and, for the record, I am appalled by their behaviour.)

Actually, they're a legitimate Baptist church, regardless of what they do.

Baptists are a Congregationalist polity, meaning that, in their structure, there is no over-arching hierarchy that sets doctrine or expected behaviours (the "Southern Baptist Convention" is the closest thing to an organizational structure, but that has no control over anything other than who belongs to it, and Westboro obviously does not.)

Because of this particular polity, the church's doctrine and theology are whatever the local pastor declares them to be, regardless of acceptability or even the qualifications of the pastor. Most Baptist churches, of course, hold to a pretty common theology, but goofballs like Westboro are as legitimate a Baptist church as any other.

Whenever you see a statistic battered about like "There are 30,000 Christian denominations!" that's a mis-representation of this type of polity, because technically, every single Baptist church (along with "Congregationalist" and some Anabaptist churches) is technically a separate denomination.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Really?? You JUST heard of them??
Okay ....
What's up with them? They are seriously screwed up cruel people.
I think that about sums it up.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrperplexed
I just learned of this...Church? Im not even sure.

At first I really thought it was a joke, like out of the Onion Magazine.

Are there any ATS members that go to this church? Help me understand.

Highly doubtful anyone on ATS goes there. WBC is a cult for the Phelps family.

They are denounced by nearly all Christians.

top topics

join