It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beautiful blooming Wisteria flower tunnel

page: 1

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Located in the city of Kitakyushu, Japan, Kawachi Fuji Garden is home to an incredible 150 Wisteria flowering plants spanning 20 different species. The garden’s main attraction is the Wisteria tunnel that allows visitors to walk down an enchanting tunnel exploding with color.

Located about 6 hours (according to Google Maps) from Tokyo, the best time to visit is from late April to mid May, typically peaking at the end of April. The garden is private so there is an entry fee.

Wisteria is a genus of flowering plants in the pea family, Fabaceae, that includes ten species of woody climbing vines native to the Eastern United States and to China, Korea, and Japan. Wisteria vines climb by twining their stems either clockwise or counterclockwise round any available support. They can climb as high as 20 m (65.6 ft) above the ground and spread out 10 m (32.8 ft) laterally. The world’s largest known Wisteria vine is in Sierra Madre, California, measuring more than 1 acre (0.40 ha) in size and weighing 250 tons, planted in 1894 of the Chinese lavender variety.

The leaves are alternate, 15 to 35 cm long, pinnate, with 9 to 19 leaflets. The flowers are produced in pendulous racemes 10 to 80 cm long and are purple, violet, pink or white. Flowering is in the spring (just before or as the leaves open) in some Asian species, and in mid to late summer in the American species and W. japonica. The flowers of some species are fragrant, most notably Chinese Wisteria.

Wikipedia page

- Official site: www.city.kitakyushu.lg.jp...
- Best time to visit: Late April to mid May
- Admission: YES (approx. 300-100 yen depending on time you are visiting). Greater bloom = more expensive
- Directions: To get to the garden from JR Yahata station, take Ni#etsu bus #56 and get off at Kawachi Elementary School. Then walk 10-15 min to the garden
- GPS coordinates: 33°49’54.62″N 130°47’33.42″E | See on Google Maps
- There is a Wisteria festival here at the end of ‘Golden Week’ from April 27-29

Photos source (in Japanese)

edit on 1-3-2013 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

Cool find OP. It looks beautiful and all but I bet the number of bees would be horrendous.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Wonderful pictures and yet another place I have to visit.

Not making Japan on my next trip but hopefully in a few years I can get there. I will definitely put this on my list.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
WOW! This is incredible!
Thank you for sharing this with us. This is one of the most gorgeous things I have ever seen.
This might even tide me over until spring.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Amazing, and beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

How beautiful! My wisteria isn't in bloom yet, but my azaleas are blooming so the wisteria is soon to follow. Where I live it is one of the sure signs that spring has arrived. When I was a child I always thought that wisteria looked like grapes.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Thanks for that,
Things like that help restore some of my faith in mankind.
It was a pleasure looking at such beauty,
imagine what it must smell and feel like inside there.

S & F

PEACE,
RK

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Stunning!
Thank you so much for sharing!
I can't wait until my own plants grow a little more!
peace and happy Sunday to all!

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   
It's funny how my mind works.

That is truly beautiful but to be honest the only other thing I could think was... that would be a horrible thing in your back yard. Wisteria is a weed around here. I am destined to spend my life plucking, cutting, spraying herbacide on these horrible plants just so my yard isn't totally overcome by them. Very invasive species... the number of seed pods these must put out.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Omg! Thank you so much for sharing that. Wisteria and jasmine are my two favorite flowers. If I were there, I'm sure I'd feel that I had died and gone to heaven. As someone stated above, just imagine the smell under there...

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

GORGEOUS beyond words!

I would never ever ever ever ever ever ever leave that place!

I too have Wisteria but they are not yet blooming and they are nowhere near this abundant!
Someday...someday

Thank you for posting these, I very much enjoyed looking at them!

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Breathtaking! Thank you for sharing. It makes my one little emerald wisteria pale by comparison.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Thank you for sharing these. They really are something. I've always liked wisteria and have tried/failed to grow it in my Michigan climate. This is the ultimate use of this beautiful plant.

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
We have one of these in Louisiana, near the tobasco place. It's beautiful, not as big as the Japan one, but still big and no the bees are not a problem.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Simply beautiful!
I would love to go there someday in the future and see it in person. Thank you for sharing.

new topics

top topics

join