It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cigarette Taxes are one thing but ELEVEN dollars a pack?!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Two Choices:

1.) Quit smoking

2.) Raise your own tobacco (Its easy.)
2b.) If you don't have the facility to raise your own tobacco, then find someone who can do it for you and pay them the pre-tax price for their efforts.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Just wait until they come for your alcohol, or soda pop, or fatty foods.

They have been trying to come at those for years and are slowly winning.

Starts out a penny or two here and there, then a dime and then they go nuts.

I have no problem with smokers paying higher insurance premiums, but not per pack, do it through their provider.

Or not even higher premiums, but when they need service, they need to pay more of the cost out of pocket.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
I gotta start sellin' black market cigs in Chicago.

They's gold in dem dar hills!

I was thinking the same thing...

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by qvision
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Here in the UK a pack of 20 is £8, which is $12.

I smoke rolling tobacco, I hope i can give up soon.

QV.

Well, I've mentioned this before. Aside from motivation coming from being the one to turn off my own father's life support in the condition smoking related lung cancer left him in, I quit by a combination...not single use..of two widely used items.

Patches eliminated the physical withdrawal symptoms. 100% and completely in my case. ...but as any smoker knows, that's only 50% of it and maybe less. That's not the worst part, really..is it?

Zyban took out the psychological side which is the killer ..or was for me in several previous attempts to quit. Taken separately, as I'd done before? I always failed. Taken together? It was like a cheat mode, it was so easy.
If only... Well.. nvm.. Bad thinking there.

Good luck on quitting. Anything it takes...it's worth it to quit. The change is like being given life anew.
edit on 2-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by crcn11

I know this has been said. But this really isn't anything to shout about. These are the prices a lot of the rest of the western world have to deal with... actually, for quite some time. And soon the fuel prices will go up to match the rest of the world too... and I guess Obama will get the blame for that one. America is a really cheap place to live, but it's got to level out with the rest of the world someday, and it has to happen soon.

You know, I've seen this said many times and first, please don't take anything said personally. It's the argument that burns my buns...not the person saying it.

What I can't quite get over though is what this is saying. The COST to produce or manufacture something doesn't radically change from one area of the world to another when it comes to things like Gasoline or Tobacco. It's just not like a Refrigerator where robotics or dirt poor labor can make a huge difference, in either case.

Yet.... It's noted almost as if it's a good thing to see change, that America isn't paying as much as the rest of the world. Well, as it stands here, the article had noted over $6 of this, PER PACK for goodness sakes, is pure tax between Federal and State. That doesn't count in the hidden taxing down the line as it's handed to the Tobaco grower and company then making the cigarette. I'll bet that in a TRUE analysis, of $11, better than 9 of that will be taxes in one form or another.

...and as you and so many have pointed out .... We pay little in some areas in comparison to other Western nations.

...the cost to produce and manufacture is NOT measurably different....

So... What does that leave us with for a conclusion? Well, The U.S. citizen IS being screwed when taxes become measurable revenue on the balance sheets for items like this and cross into outright mercenary. For however true that is, it means the rest of the people outside this nation are being screwed FAR MORE.

It's not a good thing to say the Americans need screwed MORE. I think it's beyond time people in other nations start asking their own Governments why they've been screwed so badly for so long, to begin with?
edit on 2-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   

When visiting New York City a couple years ago, I bought a pack of Camel Turkish Silvers for $15. It was insane, since I pay $5 even here in California. I think it was $8-$9 in New Jersey. I ended up having a carton express shipped to me from California.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I quit when the price hit $5 a pack.

Go to the doctor and get something g to help.

Screw them all. I wanted to write the governor and tell him to subtract my tax earning from the projected earnings.

There s absolutely no reason for this.

It is nobody's business what someone wants to do to their bodies.

It will only get worse because the " live forever nazis" make the rules.

People need to realize that they will die of something. People get lung cancer and never even smoked.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I think the bigger question is what are the states and the US government doing with all of this tax money from cigarettes? Seems to me as though they should be rich as can be off all that money. What bothers me though is the little bit of cash that the tobacco farmers get for tobacco. I saw on the news where they only get $2 a pound for tobacco. So this proves that big government and the cigarette makers are making loads off smokers. The farmers aren't making anything. And when we look at the prices of cigarettes I think about 90% of the cash per pack is going straight to the state or US government. Disgusting if you ask me.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn
Lots of people roll their own these days. You can even get an electric rolling machine.

In my area, the cost is about $1.25/ pack if you go that route.

But, I bet that taxes will go up on all of that soon or it will be outlawed. Can't have anyone saving that kind of money, ya know.

Disclaimer: I am not advocating the act of tobacco smoking.
edit on 1-3-2013 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

I can't wait until they raise it another ten dollars. I 'm interested in seeing just how much of this tyranny people will take. if they haven't the guts to get rid of politicians such as these then they deserve to be taxed into punery. I am happily standing by and watching. Don't smoke myself. quit in 1990. I saw the handwriting on the wall back then.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by threewisemonkeys

There are known carcinogens in tobacco smoke, and smokers get lung cancer at a higher rate than non-smokers. Not every smoker gets cancer but it sure raises your chances.

The connection between lung cancer and smoking is not anecdotal, there is direct non-cherry picked evidence. Learn the definition of words.

You're much more likely to die from some other smoking related disease than lung cancer anyway.

Maybe your fingers will fall off or something.

edit on 2-3-2013 by WaterBottle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I pay 6 euro's for marlboro 20pieces.
I was flipping today, cause it went up 50cent, but the prices i see here 15dollars23dollars??. I am quiting,due to the costs not the addiction.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trueman
Tobacco cigarettes should be illegal. No tax and no cancer in one shot. More money in the pocket too.

Like prohibition ever worked.

Questionable comment in the very least Trueman!

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012

In Canada, in my opinion, the thinking is that higher taxes on smokes are justified by the average smoker needing medical services because of smoking. Once you don't have smokers, you will have lower numbers of smoking related diseases coming into the hospitals.

In a perfect world at least.

In our world, they will probably find something else that is unhealthy and tax the bejeebus out of it...they better leave my steaks alone!

What a load of crap. If this is the case, then they should tax sugar for the diabetes cost, hydrogenated fat for the heart attack cost etc. etc. etc. The stuff in the world that causes health problems goes WAY beyond cigarettes.

Somehow, the entire world has managed to use tobacco as the ultimate scapegoat and that is why it's the most taxed thing out there. In Toronto, the statistics are: Roughly 1000 people in the Toronto area die every year from smoking related causes. Roughly 960 die from smog related causes. Much too close those figures are, but does anyone do anything about driving? Each and every city has poison spewing from vehicles which, unlike cigarette smoke, isn't biodegradable. I would rather be stuck in a closed garage with a bunch of people smoking than one running car, wouldn't you?

My favorite are the people who come up to me and say, "How can you smoke? It's so unhealthy!" Yet here I am, smoking a pack a day, and also jogging, swimming, 2 hour workout, cycle everywhere, eat organic, take vitamins, yet they can't even climb a flight of stairs as they eat their chemicalized potato chips. But no, in everyone's minds, smoking trumps everything.

And it's just not true. Smoking is ONE thing. Many natural health doctors suggest changing your diet first to get healthy, rather than quitting smoking, because changing your diet from a crappy one to a healthy one will actually affect your health more obviously than quitting smoking would. Smoking is smoking - it's inhaled, exhaled etc., etc., but chemicals and crap in food go RIGHT into your body, through your liver, blood, much more directly. But oh no, smoking is the worst of the worst.

To finish my mini rant, most of the cancer causing part of smoking has to do with the chemicals they put in cigarettes, (so I smoke organic too) chemicals to make them burn evenly, chemicals to make them not go out on their own. In fact, it was discovered over a decade ago what the major cancer causing chemical was and it was removed. Cancer rates were expected to go down. They have, but of course they're not going to say "Okay, everyone, smoke now!" And I don't blame them.

And I'm not saying smoking is something anyone should do. But let's get a bit of a grip here!
edit on 2-3-2013 by thebtheb because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Extremely inflated prices for cigarettes... kind of makes it just as valuable of a commodity to free citizens as it is to those who are incarcerated in prisons.

Wait a second here... maybe we are living in a makeshift prison as free citizens and just don't realize it!

edit on 2-3-2013 by ttobban because: grammar

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   

As a smoker (gradually making the switch to my refillable e-cig), living in Cook County, I'm lucky enough to work in Kane County, about 10-15 minutes from home, where I buy premium brand smokes for about $5/pack. I think it is absolutely ridiculous to take cogs over $6/pack, while the tax on a Big Mac is somewhere around $0.25. If thdy're going to tax it because it's unhealthy, then tax processed foods at >100%. Tax artificial sweeteners at >100%, etc, etc...

I eat a damn near ideal, all-natural diet, rarely drink (and almost never more than a beer or two), exercise daily, and yet the one "vice" I partake in (for now) is taxed as if it is the worst legal thing one can consume (which its not.) absolutely ridiculous, but that is what happens when the rights of the minority are crushed in favor of the will of the Collective.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but if you pull cigarettes away from smokers, that would be twice as bad as yanking the guns from the States! Its just greed, pure, simple greed. I don't really believe that anything that is a personal choice should have to be banned. You can quit if you want too. I know I can, I did, for awhile. A whole year and not even the slightest urge for a smoke, but than one day I tried again for the 'eck of it, and ya know what? I realized I was smoking 'cause I enjoyed it. So, I still smoke, I find it enjoyable. Its my choice, my right, my body. Right?

There's always a way around it too. The Reserve smokes, at least over here have gotten pretty good. And their tax free on the land out there! In town, I would smoke Belmont's which are now average 11.75$ a pack, where I as I found a darned close Indian equivalent that are 1.60$ a pack! Tell me that's not greed in there when there's a 10.15$ difference in brands!!!

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   
To put this into perspective, for all the drinkers out there (I am not), how would you feel about a similar tax on alchohol? Like say a can of beer now cost $15. ONE CAN. Is that reasonable?

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I've had to quit many different addictions in my life, and cigarettes were not as hard as some of the others. I didn't like paying $4 something a pack before I quit, let alone $11. At $11 a pack, people really need to rethink their habits. I mean, if you smoke 2 or more packs a day, your spending some serious money for your addiction, not much less then what heroin addicts or meth addicts have to pay to support their addiction. In the long run you'll end up spending more though, cause cigs take much longer to kill you then heroin or meth does.

It all basically boils down to how much we care and love ourselves and our bodies, no excuses. If we allow ourselves to be controlled by our addictions then we truly are self medicating most likely depression or some other unsatisfied part of our lives. There's nothing appealing about smoking cigarettes, it's no longer cool once we grow out of our early 20's either.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Using an e-cig costs about 15 quid a month for liquid. That's about the same as a weeks worth of loose tobacco from a shop.
Anyone who has doubts about giving up ought to try an ego. Seriously. With the right juice and cartridges, it's not like giving up at all.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
All those poor cancer prone smokers. These taxes are because of the health related effects of smoking tobacco correct? At least that is what excuse is used. So smokers don't have to pay for health care if they get smoking related cancer right? If that is what the tax is for then all that should be covered when they enter the hospital. You're a smoker right? Just come on it and get treated. Or is this extra money just being funneled into something else?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join