It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nearly everyone I know is broke, this economy sucks!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
You think times are hard now, just wait till the US dollar collapses and the derivatives market implodes......yes, the writing is on the wall, been obvious to some for years now. But the majority of people still think things are ok, you still can go to the supermarket, go home and watch your cable tv.

All I can suggest is prep, the time is coming when all those luxuries won't be available.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide
You think times are hard now, just wait till the US dollar collapses and the derivatives market implodes......yes, the writing is on the wall, been obvious to some for years now. But the majority of people still think things are ok, you still can go to the supermarket, go home and watch your cable tv.

All I can suggest is prep, the time is coming when all those luxuries won't be available.

Majority of people I know don't think things are ok, but they do think that our fearless leaders are doing the best they can to get us up and running again. I of course disagree with this theory and think they are doing the best they can to take us down and crying.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

Derivative markets and toxic assets are very much well and alive within the balance sheets of the too big to fail, it has not gotten away, their toxic assets are bigger than their liquidity that makes them all bankrupted.

How they deal with it? all countries in the hole are doing the QE, quantitative easing.
Borrowing and borrowing and borrowing some more.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
People, you're doing it wrong. You are not meant to have a job. That is the lie told to you since birth. You are not meant to work for other people. It is something you do when you have no other options. You are meant to work for yourself. To start your own business. To learn how to make money in America without Government or State aid.

This will fall on deaf ears because people aren't ready to hear it. But it's true. You need to learn to think outside the box. That steady paycheck isn't so steady when your employer can shut it off whenever they want. Think about that.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Being broke all the time sucks but I find pleasure in the simpler things in life. I like to keep my life as simple as possible. I survive on less then $10k a year. I don't sit on the couch and watch tv. I either fish or hunt. It don't cost much other then gas to get where I'm going. Nothing more relaxing then sitting on the water catching fish or sitting in the woods with a riffle waiting for a deer. It saves on the food bill also. I have 600 perch in my freezer from last fall. I have so much fish I can't even eat it all. I find myself giving to friends and family.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

If everyone you know is broke that must have some pretty bad habits... In my neck of the woods those who don't have a chip and a chair usually are funding something else.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I agree totally. I have watched this all happen over the last few decades...

I have watched my wage, standard of living and extra income (along with savings) PLUMMET whist working more and harder than ever before. The problem is, people like myself used to go out to eat weekly, go out dancing at the bars at least monthly, rent movies, order Pizza, etc... That stuff is all gone and it ripples through the economy as less and less jobs are being funded.

-And I am one of the fortunate ones.

My Wife lost her job managing a Bar/Restaurant (very high end) at an Airport when the business closed. She has been unable to find work since. Now, she has a degree, fantastic work history and has been in management for approx 20 years. When her place closed we were not worried at all and figured she would have a job very soon as its never taken long- In fact, she didnt even file unemployment because we decided that we wanted to take a vacation and not "lie" about her looking for work- That was a year ago.

People saying "work two jobs" or "take something at mc'donalds"- It isnt that easy... At first she applied for ONLY management jobs of which there were few (mostly applying Online) soon, she began applying for anything... Even at Christmas in my area Wal-mart did NOT do seasonal hiring and there is NOTHING. She has cold called, walked in, etc...etc...etc... at pretty much every business here.

It has gotten to the point where the gas money we were spending on the "job hunt" was killing us - We let the insurance lapse on her car and parked it... I work from home (I work pretty much 24/7 am am paid a "salary" which sounds decent but amounts to FAR LESS than min wage when hours are factored in- BUT, I enjoy my job amnd while "working" I can do things like play PC games and troll forums- I am happy..) we next let my insurance lapse and parked my CAR... Now her job search is on foot.

-This is no joke, things are horrible out there.

My buddy owned a Concrete business and after losing it- he is flipping burgers and is lucky for that.

-Wish all you guys the best of luck... The people who still have decent jobs (or live in one of the few areas where there IS work left) just cannot see nor empathize... Had we had this conversation a year ago I would have been one of them... Until I have watched what my wife has been going through I never would have believed it.
EDIT: And to those who say :"move"- That isnt so easy also... Moving cost's money and (at least in my case) that ship sailed...Having no idea we would be hgaving this much trouble and knowing my wife would take anything (including Mcdonalds) we werent too worried... IF I had things to do all over, yes, the second she lost her job we would have signed up for unemployment, liquidated our things, take a loss on out home and go- But rather than "lose everything" we figured we would make it with enough time and we love our community..

Its easy to look in the rearview mirror but...

edit on 2-3-2013 by DarKPenguiN because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I'm sorry I just don't agree with the sentiment that being financially viable means you are living with blinders on.

Additionally being successful, having a good paying job, being financially responsible and accountable, enjoying life, providing for your family does not make you a problem, a bad person, part of the TPTB or something that you need to feel embarrassed about.

That doesn't change the fact that I wish everyone had a fair chance or that I wish their were options for everyone to improve their life. That doesn't change the fact that I think the younger generation of people , 30 and younger, are fairly hosed when it comes to job prospects.

I just know that I don't feel guilty about working hard and making an honest living which has in turn allowed me to live life the way I want.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by opethPA
I'm sorry I just don't agree with the sentiment that being financially viable means you are living with blinders on.

Additionally being successful, having a good paying job, being financially responsible and accountable, enjoying life, providing for your family does not make you a problem, a bad person, part of the TPTB or something that you need to feel embarrassed about.

That doesn't change the fact that I wish everyone had a fair chance or that I wish their were options for everyone to improve their life. That doesn't change the fact that I think the younger generation of people , 30 and younger, are fairly hosed when it comes to job prospects.

I just know that I don't feel guilty about working hard and making an honest living which has in turn allowed me to live life the way I want.

I am not sure who you are reffering to but I think in most cases nobody faults, blames or otherwise thinks wanting negative about you (or anyone) who is stil doing good...Its those who are doing good and thinks things are so easy out there that those who lost jobs can "go get another one"- Or claims folks are living beyond their means for having a cellphone (when a cellphone is cheaper than a landline these days and if you ARE looking for work you need a phone)

Personally I am GLAD you (and the ones who are making it) are doing good because that spreads money around to all of us- The more people who are doing good, the more jobs there will be (sucky jobs- But at least...something)

My Sister is doing quite well, as are my parents- But they can also see how difficult it is for MOST right now. I am certainly happy for them although in my Fathers case he should have retired 10 years ago but had his pension stolen and is forced to work until next year while the company he works for (US STEEL) is making bank... Kinda shady, BUT he makes really good money as an engineer also and enjoys his work.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarKPenguiN
I agree totally. I have watched this all happen over the last few decades...

I have watched my wage, standard of living and extra income (along with savings) PLUMMET whist working more and harder than ever before. The problem is, people like myself used to go out to eat weekly, go out dancing at the bars at least monthly, rent movies, order Pizza, etc... That stuff is all gone and it ripples through the economy as less and less jobs are being funded.

-And I am one of the fortunate ones.

My Wife lost her job managing a Bar/Restaurant (very high end) at an Airport when the business closed. She has been unable to find work since. Now, she has a degree, fantastic work history and has been in management for approx 20 years. When her place closed we were not worried at all and figured she would have a job very soon as its never taken long- In fact, she didnt even file unemployment because we decided that we wanted to take a vacation and not "lie" about her looking for work- That was a year ago.

People saying "work two jobs" or "take something at mc'donalds"- It isnt that easy... At first she applied for ONLY management jobs of which there were few (mostly applying Online) soon, she began applying for anything... Even at Christmas in my area Wal-mart did NOT do seasonal hiring and there is NOTHING. She has cold called, walked in, etc...etc...etc... at pretty much every business here.

It has gotten to the point where the gas money we were spending on the "job hunt" was killing us - We let the insurance lapse on her car and parked it... I work from home (I work pretty much 24/7 am am paid a "salary" which sounds decent but amounts to FAR LESS than min wage when hours are factored in- BUT, I enjoy my job amnd while "working" I can do things like play PC games and troll forums- I am happy..) we next let my insurance lapse and parked my CAR... Now her job search is on foot.

-This is no joke, things are horrible out there.

My buddy owned a Concrete business and after losing it- he is flipping burgers and is lucky for that.

-Wish all you guys the best of luck... The people who still have decent jobs (or live in one of the few areas where there IS work left) just cannot see nor empathize... Had we had this conversation a year ago I would have been one of them... Until I have watched what my wife has been going through I never would have believed it.
EDIT: And to those who say :"move"- That isnt so easy also... Moving cost's money and (at least in my case) that ship sailed...Having no idea we would be hgaving this much trouble and knowing my wife would take anything (including Mcdonalds) we werent too worried... IF I had things to do all over, yes, the second she lost her job we would have signed up for unemployment, liquidated our things, take a loss on out home and go- But rather than "lose everything" we figured we would make it with enough time and we love our community..

Its easy to look in the rearview mirror but...

edit on 2-3-2013 by DarKPenguiN because: (no reason given)

I would be interested in what job you work at home.

I have been looking for a good at home job for a while. Many are very low paying if they are legititmate.

I have an IT degree as well with a lot of experience.

I just quit my at home job due to being threatened and had to quit. I will not go into it too much but I worked there for several years.

I am now job searching. What I am finding is there are jobs in my area for my experience but

they are soooo much more picky and uptight about things than 3 years ago.

I have a government security clearance that is now expired but when I got it several years ago, I did not have as much of a problem getting it than I do today applying for these jobs.

It is UNBELIEVABLE!!!

I don't know what is happening to this society , but these places really put so much emphasis on background checks and drug checks,
I feel like a CRIMINAL!!!

How did this get this way!????

My area is not too bad , one can find jobs, but let me tell you, there is a lot of competition , much more than just 3 years ago.
ANd this background check thing ....

WHat is our society?
Filled with criminals and drug addicts??

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by RoScoLaz
i've never known such a time of widespread hardship. up go the prices, down goes the income. there has to be a breaking point. i'm not sure what that might be. or what it will kickstart.

Obama hasn't been leading America.

He has been managing the decline of America.

Labor workforce participation rate is at a 30 year low. Another 170,000 gave up and

jumped out in January 2013.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I would be interested in what job you work at home.

I have been looking for a good at home job for a while. Many are very low paying if they are legititmate.

I have an IT degree as well with a lot of experience.

I just quit my at home job due to being threatened and had to quit. I will not go into it too much but I worked there for several years.

I am now job searching. What I am finding is there are jobs in my area for my experience but

they are soooo much more picky and uptight about things than 3 years ago.

I have a government security clearance that is now expired but when I got it several years ago, I did not have as much of a problem getting it than I do today applying for these jobs.

It is UNBELIEVABLE!!!

I don't know what is happening to this society , but these places really put so much emphasis on background checks and drug checks,
I feel like a CRIMINAL!!!

How did this get this way!????

My area is not too bad , one can find jobs, but let me tell you, there is a lot of competition , much more than just 3 years ago.
ANd this background check thing ....

WHat is our society?
Filled with criminals and drug addicts??

I work for an MMORPG (I am not going to say which one because I do not want my opinions I post here to possibly be known to my employer) as a GM (Game master) and help with Forum Moderation.

-How I got this job is a loooong story- I was a Confined Space rescuue tech until the 29.CFR parts 1910 laws were not enforceable anymore. There was a whole bunch of us in Michigan hired and trained for the new enforcement (EMT. Firefighter 2, Hazwoper, etc...) and my Dad is the one who got me that job- Was AWESOME, paid schooling, good wage, mileage paid for and I only worked about 7 days a month but was on a 24 hour shift with OT paid after 40- This amounted to some pretty huge paychecks with lots of free time- The idea was that as more were trained and law phased in, my hours would be cut back to pretty standard 45/week- But alas, never happened.

-Yes, the work from home stuff is a scam usually... Even when it isnt it kinda is because (at least in my case) I make very little "hourly" and work all the time- That said, I LOVE my job, work wearing sweats, watch the news and eat- Do pretty much anything I want and get to play games for a paycheck- Not a big one but...

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Feeling impoverished because you have a hard time buying new .45 ammo???

I mean come on!!! I know how poverty doesn't feel good, but just be RATIONAL!

Why the hell you need a huge reserve of ammo for? Hunting? Really... you need to hunt for a living? Can do that with a bow and arrows.

Shoot outs with TPTB when SHTF!? You'll get plenty of ammo to scavenge if you get to survive... Only that .45 isn't the most widespread caliber around. Why don't you go for .22 LR or 9 mm?

Do you know there's people who can't eat once a day, elsewhere on the planet? The average American still eats 2-3 times a day, and HUGE meals full of excess calories and proteins. Of course the economy is going to hell, but that doesn't mean there's nothing you can do to get out of there!

Become a pirate!

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Echtelion
Feeling impoverished because you have a hard time buying new .45 ammo???

I mean come on!!! I know how poverty doesn't feel good, but just be RATIONAL!

Why the hell you need a huge reserve of ammo for? Hunting? Really... you need to hunt for a living? Can do that with a bow and arrows.

Shoot outs with TPTB when SHTF!? You'll get plenty of ammo to scavenge if you get to survive... Only that .45 isn't the most widespread caliber around. Why don't you go for .22 LR or 9 mm?

Do you know there's people who can't eat once a day, elsewhere on the planet? The average American still eats 2-3 times a day, and HUGE meals full of excess calories and proteins. Of course the economy is going to hell, but that doesn't mean there's nothing you can do to get out of there!

Become a pirate!
How old are you ? 15?

Your age shows ; and maturity level as well...

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarKPenguiN

-Yes, the work from home stuff is a scam usually... Even when it isnt it kinda is because (at least in my case) I make very little "hourly" and work all the time- That said, I LOVE my job, work wearing sweats, watch the news and eat- Do pretty much anything I want and get to play games for a paycheck- Not a big one but...

99% of the "work from home" stuff is indeed a scam. I am what you would consider a "internet marketing" entrepreneur. Several years back I said # it to all the job searching and working for others - instead started with my own websites, internet marketing, web design and also providing services (writing and similar) online. I am not "rich" but it has many benefits, working at home when and how I like it. Moved to Spain in the sun and work from here now. Also..plenty of time for MMORPGs

Back in the States, before I started all this I was a software engineer (before 9/11) working for my boss. Today, all those programming jobs are done by Indians and Pakistanis, forget IT and software. The other job was MANY years in Illinois at a very big and known company in a effing warehouse. I am glad I am doing now what I am doing, something like a "job security" doesn't exist, it's an illusion. You can as well start your own thing.

edit on 2-3-2013 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
More than 46 million Americans live in Poverty USA.

Americans families were having a difficult time making ends meet before the recession. With continuing unemployment and increasing costs of living, more and more families have to choose between necessities like health care, child care, and even food.

Poverty in America is alive and well,

www.povertyusa.org...

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
If you are fortunate enough to still be working, its almost guaranteed you have several family members who arent, who are in need of help. Usually several people. The employed as a result are almost more stressed out than the unemployed. A lot of people are sandwiched between grown kids who cant find work, and aging and or sick parents who need help. I expect to see the number of stress related deaths to skyrocket in the next few years.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by openminded2011

You have seen the deaths already, stressed people on rampage killings, sad but truth.

Actually the most stressed are the younger generation.

Most stressed-out generations in America: Millennials and Gen X

Work issues, money concerns, and job instability are keeping those under 50 awake at night.

Millennial unemployment rate is at 13.1 percent, above the national average of 7.8 percent, according to The Los Angeles Times.

Nearly half of millennials do not believe they are doing enough to manage their stress, the Stress in America report found. Most young people also say they are not getting stress management support from their health care provider.

That could be affecting their health, because millennials and Gen Xers are most likely to say that they engage in unhealthy behaviors because of stress, the report found. Stress has kept more than 52 percent of millennials awake at night, compared with 48 percent of Gen Xers, 37 percent of Boomers, and 25 percent of Matures, according to the report. Nearly half of millennials and Gen Xers get irritable or angry due to stress. Only 36 percent of Boomers and 15 percent of Matures report the same emotional reactions to stress. ['ex]

www.ragan.com...

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by EchtelionDo you know there's people who can't eat once a day, elsewhere on the planet? The average American still eats 2-3 times a day, and HUGE meals full of excess calories and proteins. Of course the economy is going to hell, but that doesn't mean there's nothing you can do to get out of there!

Some months I can't afford to eat once per day much less 2-3 times a day. I live in the US, Southeast Ohio actually. This past month I only had $60 for food for the month. I found myself taking advantage of the free dinners a couple of local churches put on so I could eat. One on one end of town each Wednesday, one on the other end of town each Sunday. About a 2 hour walk each way from where I live (no car, no public transportation). It's not comparable to some third world countries, but America isn't supposed to be a third world country. I remember when growing up (I'm 30 now) the idea was that America was a land with so much opportunity no one ever went hungry if they were willing to work.

Those days are gone.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bacardi
People, you're doing it wrong. You are not meant to have a job. That is the lie told to you since birth. You are not meant to work for other people. It is something you do when you have no other options. You are meant to work for yourself. To start your own business. To learn how to make money in America without Government or State aid.

This will fall on deaf ears because people aren't ready to hear it. But it's true. You need to learn to think outside the box. That steady paycheck isn't so steady when your employer can shut it off whenever they want. Think about that.

I agree, but it takes capital to start a business. Most people are living paycheck to paycheck. If starting your own business was viable option for most, you would see millions of people escaping wage slavery into their own jobs. Sadly this is not happening.

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join