It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abuse of human rights extends far beyond Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2003 @ 01:16 PM
link   
t was a small item crawling under the 24-hour news screen one day a month ago, in between reports on American POWs and the search for illegal weapons in Iraq: At least 950 people were killed in a systematic, genocide-style attack on a group of villages in Congo. The item only hinted at the horrors -- many of the victims were killed with machetes, their bodies piled in 20 mass graves, and soldiers from neighboring Uganda, which has been a participant in Congo's 4 1/2-year civil war, were among the suspects. It was the bloodiest moment in a war that has seen an estimated 2 million people die of hunger and disease.
www.boston.com...

So,who should be responsible for cleaning up Congo?

posted on May, 9 2003 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Well, acording to everyone else, let it happen. Dont send a single troop down there.

Of course, thats actually a good idea..look where UN peace keeping missions got us in Somalia and Rwanda.

posted on May, 9 2003 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I doubt it will ever be cleaned up: the rich take the diamonds, the poor suffer.
Sub-Saharan Africa, in the post-colonial age, is beyond help from outside. The aid is stolen; the food is looted; the cash flies to Zurich.
Belgium, the colonial power, long ago washed her hands ("officially" at least, of this area); the UN has a long history of failure ending up in despair from the time of Lumumba.

posted on May, 9 2003 @ 11:50 PM
link   
And generally the media "take' is so full of mock-piety and pussy-footing political correctness hat reporting on black Africa is almost worthless.
"Oh dear, isn't it sad" and "Somebody should do something" about sums it up.
Even the BBC, Dear old Auntie, reported this yesterday as the work of "ethnic militias" -what, in the name of all that crawls, flies or swims, does that mean?
But we cannot say "tribe", can we?

posted on May, 10 2003 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Africa is almost midevil. The wars come in all forms, the people are split in all ways, and the countries are all oppressed from corruptors, and other outsiders or insiders looking for trouble. Many conflicts in the region cannot be solved by deciding something or making some declaration, or percieved stance. Only mediation, rational, and political wisdom among the masses to bring about change. The UN can't and won't do anything, either will the Belgians. This situation in the Congo is not going to be solved until the people involved wake up and see the light. As for human rights abuses overall, well that is a stance that we should take. Unfortonately the corruptors of the UN Organization ignore all the major human rights abusers, and even elect them as the head chairs of the Human Rights Council. If the real peacekeepers of the world had any sense, then they would not ignore major or minor cases of human rights violations.

I think the world needs to collectively organize real justices of law and find the abusers and stop their corruption and murder. We only support the murder as long as we stand still and watch the bodies spill the blood of all the ones we know.

posted on May, 10 2003 @ 08:41 PM
link   
the trouble is, Abe-V, that the West will then be accused of "colonialism": just consider the appalling Mugabe.

posted on May, 10 2003 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Africa isn't the only place were inhumane activity thrives. Ever spent 14 hours in a Chicago bus terminal, alone? I did on my way back to Michigan. Let me tell ya very odd Mofos go through there, the station employees are under paid!

try this site if you havnt already.

www.comebackalive.com...

I've read a book from these people in 97, I tell ya they give it strait. The world in general is dangerous, Ive seen it, been there, got the T-sh irt.

[Edited on 11-5-2003 by ADVISOR]

new topics

top topics

join