It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The climate change "flip flop".

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I'm intrigued by "climate change" "science".

Back in the year 2000, we were told that "climate change" aka "global warming" will mean no more snow:

Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past.

Britain's winter ends tomorrow with further indications of a striking environmental change: snow is starting to disappear from our lives.

Global warming, the heating of the atmosphere by increased amounts of industrial gases, is now accepted as a reality by the international community.

According to Dr David Viner, a senior research scientist at the climatic research unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia,within a few years winter snowfall will become "a very rare and exciting event".

Well that makes sense, the world is supposedly getting warmer and as the temperature rises, we will see fewer cold weather events.

Fast forward a few years later:

Snow, Record Cold in UK; More in Store

New England blizzard: One for the record books?

Surprise snowfall hits Northeast, breaks records in NYC and knocks out power to more than 2M

Record snowfall in northern Japan

Hmmm. Looks like they missed the mark on that one. Now what are they gonna do? People may no longer buy into this idea of "global warming" and "climate change". Something needs to be done to regain the sheeple's trust so that the NWO can use "climate change" to control carbon (one the essential building blocks of life).

I know, lets just make it up as we go along! ~~~> Get This: Warming Planet Can Mean More Snow

The hell with it. As long as the media repeats something often enough, the sheeple will succumb.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I see your point and I agree to a point.

We really have no clue what is going on. I generally avoid the arguments of "man made global warming" as the geological and meteorological records indicate "climate change" has happened often through the history of the planet. We have gone from extreme warm to the point that Antarctica had forests to the other extreme they refer to as "snow ball earth"...

The "warming" they like to blame on mankind so as to create new taxes is not exclusive to the earth. The truth is our entire solar system is "heating up" for some reason. There are "theories" about that as well, but thay are just that...theories...nothing is known beyond a shadow of a doubt.

So on that aspect, we can agree.

I disagree that there is no climate change. Our climate patterns are changing. I have lived in relatively the same longitude/latitude all my life (47 years) and I can assure you...the weather is different than it was 4 decades ago. My gut tells me it is a natural thing...it has happened before (before evil man and his coal and oil burning) and will happen again.

My concern is whether it be natural or not does not mean you ignore it. If the patterns that are causing the Midwest drought are going to be a long term proposition, we need to be thinking and planning on how to deal with it and alleviate it for the good of the "food belt".

Just my opinion though...
edit on 3/1/2013 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Perhaps this can help explain the difference between Climate & Weather for you.

Weather is what’s happening outside the door right now; today a snowstorm or a thunderstorm is approaching. Climate, on the other hand, is the pattern of weather measured over decades.

As to why more Snow.

Hotter air around the globe causes more moisture to be held in the air than in prior seasons. When storms occur, this added moisture can fuel heavier precipitation in the form of more intense rain or snow.

Some regions of the country have seen as much as a 67 percent increase in the amount of rain or snow falling in the heaviest storms — and an updated version of this figure from the draft National Climate Assessment suggests this increase may have risen to 74 percent between 1958 and 2011.

And this leads to greater Droughts because....

At the same time, because less of a region’s precipitation is falling in light storms and more of it in heavy storms, the risks of drought and wildfire are also greater. Ironically, higher air temperatures tend to produce intense drought periods punctuated by heavy floods, often in the same region.

It’s Cold and My Car is Buried in Snow. Is Global Warming Really Happening?

You're Welcome

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
climate change by man is a joke.

Yes the climate changes and has in the past and will in the future. Is it brought on by man? i doubt it. All you need is a valcano to burp and it cancels out all CO2 ever emitted by mankind.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
Yes the climate changes and has in the past and will in the future. Is it brought on by man? i doubt it. All you need is a valcano to burp and it cancels out all CO2 ever emitted by mankind.

That is just blatantly untrue though isn't it.

Our understanding of volcanic discharges would have to be shown to be very mistaken before volcanic CO2 discharges could be considered anything but a bit player in contributing to the recent changes observed in the concentration of CO2 in the Earth's atmosphere.

Do volcanoes emit more CO2 than humans?

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Also realize that we've never really studied climate change over a long period so its still a new science in that regards.

We all know the world is warming up but that's expected as we slowly crawl our of our current ice age but what effects climate change has on day to day weather is still being researched. In 100 years we will know more but nobody can predict for certain what weather patterns happen as the earth heats up.

We weren't studying this the last time it happened.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

Actually we've been studying the Climate and Atmosphere for almost 200 years.

1824 Joseph Fourier calculated the Earth would be colder without an atmosphere.
1859 John Tyndall discovers some gases block infrared radiation, and proposes changes in their concentration could bring climate change.
1896 Svante Arrhenius first calculates global warming from human-produced CO2 emissions.
1897 Thomas Chrowder Chamberlin produces a global carbon exchange model including feedbacks.
1938 Guy Stewart Callendar says CO2 greenhouse global warming is happening.
1956 Gilbert Plass says adding CO2 to the atmosphere has a major effect on the radiation balance.
1957 Roger Revelle finds that CO2 produced by humans will not be readily absorbed by the oceans.
1958 Venus’ greenhouse effect (which raises the atmosphere’s temperature above the boiling point of water) is observed by telescope.
1960 Charles Keeling detects an annual rise in the Earth’s atmospheric CO2.
1968 Studies say Antarctic ice sheets may collapse, which would raise sea levels big time.

How long has climate change been studied?

And let's not forgot the studying of Ice cores.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by BritofTexas

Actually we've been studying the Climate and Atmosphere for almost 200 years.

1824 Joseph Fourier calculated the Earth would be colder without an atmosphere.
1859 John Tyndall discovers some gases block infrared radiation, and proposes changes in their concentration could bring climate change.
1896 Svante Arrhenius first calculates global warming from human-produced CO2 emissions.
1897 Thomas Chrowder Chamberlin produces a global carbon exchange model including feedbacks.
1938 Guy Stewart Callendar says CO2 greenhouse global warming is happening.
1956 Gilbert Plass says adding CO2 to the atmosphere has a major effect on the radiation balance.
1957 Roger Revelle finds that CO2 produced by humans will not be readily absorbed by the oceans.
1958 Venus’ greenhouse effect (which raises the atmosphere’s temperature above the boiling point of water) is observed by telescope.
1960 Charles Keeling detects an annual rise in the Earth’s atmospheric CO2.
1968 Studies say Antarctic ice sheets may collapse, which would raise sea levels big time.

How long has climate change been studied?

And let's not forgot the studying of Ice cores.

Hehe, 200 years in the history of earths climate is not even a beginning. Its not even a fraction of 1% of the total time of our current era.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
Hehe, 200 years in the history of earths climate is not even a beginning. Its not even a fraction of 1% of the total time of our current era.

You obviously missed the last part of my post mentioning Ice Cores.

The oldest continuous ice core records to date extend 123,000 years in Greenland and 800,000 years in Antarctica. Ice cores contain information about past temperature, and about many other aspects of the environment.

Ice cores and climate change

So we can reasonably study the Climate over the past 800,000 years.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

I am a climate agnostic. I no longer care for all the arguments for I've seen both sides lie and twist around. So whats left is looking at what is done about it by the people who say we do contribute to it. What I see is not a good thing. Disowning poor people from their farmland so fly-people can plant a tree on it to feel good. Restricting emissions by introducing carbon-credits that companies then buy from again poor people so the emission can continue as before.

On the other side, the deforestation of the rain forest is continuing at an even accelerating rate.

I am an agnostic smelling a fish.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
The initial interpretations of Global warming were wrong. The new interpretations are more accurate. We wouldn't be so lucky to loose our snow up here. Although snow keeps our water and pipes from freezing and supports our local area during the winter. All the people praying for snow up here does work

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by D.Wolf

Planting trees on two sides of the fields can increase production with less watering of the fields. The trees can block excessive winds and also related to thiswind reduction, it can help to warm the soils earlier in the spring. Less land can produce more and the leaves blow into the field and replenish the micronutrients in the soils.

You have to look at the big picture. Trees can balance the temperatures of the field if placed right.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Yeah, all that, but not by stealing the land from poor people whom have no where else to go, just to create money out it, now does it.
If real restoration isn't number one on the list, all other measures feel like scams to me.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by D.Wolf

It is always the little guy without influence that loses out. I don't see that changing in the future either.

They restrict the people in South America from cutting two trees down to build the house that will last their life because of energy credits bought by corporations to cancel their carbon creation blame. Then in areas where there is no corporate bribe money coming in they deforest the area....twenty miles away

You have to pay about thirty bucks in Austin to cut down a tree in your yard. They call that environmental tax a permit.

edit on 1-3-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

And scam it feels. It does not matter if climate change is man made or not. The "solutions" speak volumes about intent. It's to make money without consent to the environment. And I call hoax on that.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by BritofTexas

Originally posted by Hopechest

You obviously missed the last part of my post mentioning Ice Cores.

The oldest continuous ice core records to date extend 123,000 years in Greenland and 800,000 years in Antarctica. Ice cores contain information about past temperature, and about many other aspects of the environment.

Ice cores and climate change

So we can reasonably study the Climate over the past 800,000 years.

Yes I did address that. Certainly you can study the climate but not weather patterns. They are two different things.

And even 1 million years is only a drop in the bucket compared to the billions of years of climate change so you can't get a reasonable pattern from that.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   

There are many ways we can see the climate back further than 200 years. Ice core samples show CO2 concentrations over time. Sediment and certain rock types can be analysed for diatom concentration and type. This shows bioregional changes including temperature. Pollen samples can be take from peat bogs.... etc

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

There are many ways we can see the climate back further than 200 years. Ice core samples show CO2 concentrations over time. Sediment and certain rock types can be analysed for diatom concentration and type. This shows bioregional changes including temperature. Pollen samples can be take from peat bogs.... etc

Ice cores are only applicable to this current Ice-Age.

They don't tell us anything about the previous ones throughout the history of earth. It would be foolish to imagine they've all had the exact same effect. And ice-cores do not tell you weather patterns, only climate information.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by gladtobehere

Back in the year 2000, we were told that "climate change" aka "global warming" will mean no more snow:

That was one person making one comment (about England). Since then science has moved on and new discoveries made about the things that affect our climate. At the same time, it was predicted that Arctic summer sea ice would decline much, much less than has been observed to happen. So that was also wrong.

Meanwhile, despite not being an El Nino, Australia has had it's hottest summer on record, and there are suggestion that the S Hemisphere as a whole may come close to its hottest ever summer. Which proves nothing - but you should never take climate in specific regions as indicative of global trends.
edit on 1-3-2013 by AndyMayhew because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Ice cores are only applicable to this current Ice-Age. They don't tell us anything about the previous ones throughout the history of earth. It would be foolish to imagine they've all had the exact same effect. And ice-cores do not tell you weather patterns, only climate information

They are not only applicable to the previous ice age data samples go back nearly 800,000 years with 3 km ice core drills. That is more than ample to cover our present ice age..

The Earth has experienced at least five major ice ages in its 4.57 billion year history: the Huronian glaciation (2.4 to 2.1 billion years ago), the Sturtian/Marinoan glaciation (710 to 640 mya), the Andean-Saharan glaciation (460 to 430 mya), the Karoo Ice Age (350 to 260 mya) and the most recent Ice Age, which is currently ongoing (40 to 0 mya). The definition of an Ice Age is a long-term drop in global temperatures from the historical norm, accompanied by an extension of continental ice sheets. Each Ice Age is cyclical, generally on timescales of 44,000 and 110,000 years, during which glacial ice rhythmically extends and recedes.

www.wisegeek.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join