Love vs Tyranny

page: 5
7
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

log in

join

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical
 


So why did you disagree with her point about Jesus introducing god as a father figure? So now you agree with her?




posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by NOTurTypical
 


When you operate fast and loose, adding your opinion of what God was thinking when he kicked Adam and Eve out of the garden, ignoring the scriptural reason given, to prove your point, you're creating your own facts.


Huh? I pointed out that God didn't end their mortal life.


The conversation:





God DID kill Adam and Eve!
!


You tell me. Did God strike them dead the moment they sinned?



He prolonged their suffering through cursing the earth, cursing women through subservience and childbearing and forcing Adam to till the thorny ground, through the sweat of his brow.



That's because God is much more concerned with our character over our comfort. Much more concerned with our holiness than our happiness.


But that isn't what the Bible says! That's what you want it to say. You're making up your own version of God and your own facts.

First God cursed them and then, later, he killed them. All because they had become like him!



posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
reply to post by NOTurTypical
 


Both suffering and comfortable. Those who believe and make it to heaven are comfortable with others suffering for eternity, so I guess it's all about perspective.


I think you're just making wild accusations out of spite. That's the entire purpose of evangelism.



posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
reply to post by NOTurTypical
 


So why did you disagree with her point about Jesus introducing god as a father figure? So now you agree with her?


Because Isaiah was the first.



posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by windword
 


Are you implying the Bible doesn't affirms God desire for us to be holy? Or for us to have character, integrity, morals and leadership? That's the entire book of Proverbs.



posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical
 


Yahweh is a pretty piss poor role model in those areas if you ask me. What happened to morals whenever he ordered the killing of whole towns and taking the ones left over as slaves? Do you consider that "moral"?



posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical
 


I am imply that God's purpose for kicking Adam and Eve out of the garden, according to the Bible, didn't have anything to do with God's desire for us to be holy.

Yahweh didn't want people to emulate his godliness or to think that they could approach his awesome beingness. That is clearly projected all throughout the Bible.



posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
reply to post by NOTurTypical
 


Yahweh is a pretty piss poor role model in those areas if you ask me. What happened to morals whenever he ordered the killing of whole towns and taking the ones left over as slaves? Do you consider that "moral"?


I don't believe our emotional response to something determines it's truth or morality. Appeals to emotion never resonated with me very much. It's also a fallacy to rationalize truth on the basis of emotional response.



posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical
 


Why then, if Yahweh was known as a father God so familiarly, did the pharisees want to stone Jesus for saying that God was his father?



posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by NOTurTypical
 


I am imply that God's purpose for kicking Adam and Eve out of the garden, according to the Bible, didn't have anything to do with God's desire for us to be holy.

Yahweh didn't want people to emulate his godliness or to think that they could approach his awesome beingness. That is clearly projected all throughout the Bible.


Well I don't think that was the reason either. Their expulsion was cause/effect punishment for their rebellion.



posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by NOTurTypical
 


Why then, if Yahweh was known as a father God so familiarly, did the pharisees want to stone Jesus for saying that God was his father?


Isaiah spoke of Him as a collective Father of Israel, of the Jews. Jesus personalized Him as His paternal father. The implication was His divinity which they took as blatant blasphemy of the highest order.



posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

So those ten commandments don't really mean anything? What about "thou shalt not kill"? Does that not matter?

Okay, the next time someone goes on a killing spree don't start labeling them bad or a lunatic, because emotions shouldn't dictate what's right or wrong. For all we know, what he/she did is a good thing, or maybe he/she was just working in a mysterious way.

What do you think about the guy who shot those kids in Newtown? Was he not bad because saying so is based on emotion?
edit on 1-3-2013 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical
 


But Jesus clearly taught that God is the collective father of all, not just his "daddy."

When he taught how to pray, he said "Our Father."

I guess the pharisees didn't get the "God is the Father of all the Jews" memo either, because Jesus' teachings were revolutional!



posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
 


What are you talking about with the 10 commandments? Of course they matter. Our entire basis of morality and law is based upon them.



posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by NOTurTypical
 


I am imply that God's purpose for kicking Adam and Eve out of the garden, according to the Bible, didn't have anything to do with God's desire for us to be holy.

Yahweh didn't want people to emulate his godliness or to think that they could approach his awesome beingness. That is clearly projected all throughout the Bible.


Well I don't think that was the reason either. Their expulsion was cause/effect punishment for their rebellion.


You can hold that opinion!


But, in my opinion, the garden just wasn't big enough for another one who had become like them!



posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by windword
 


Good point, most Christians forget that Jesus said "our father" too. I'm sure he'll find a round about way of dismissing it though.



posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by NOTurTypical
 


But Jesus clearly taught that God is the collective father of all, not just his "daddy."



He taught both. Collectively in a general sense as the Creator, personally as His paternal Father.



posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
 


What are you talking about with the 10 commandments? Of course they matter. Our entire basis of morality and law is based upon them.


LOL! No they're not.




posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical
 


What are morals based on other than emotions?

Why did god tell us "thou shalt not kill" then turn around and order the Hebrews to kill? Were the Hebrews somehow exempt from the law of those times? How convenient for the Hebrews.



posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical
 


Nice try, but no.


Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.





new topics
top topics
 
7
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

log in

join