It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

six year old discrimination over bathroom at school

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   

six year old discrimination over bathroom at school

dailycaller.com

Six-year-old Coy Mathis was born male, and thus presumably has all the appendages males tend to have. The difference is that Mathis wears girls’ clothes all the time. Also, teachers and administrators at Mathis’ elementary school use female pronouns when addressing the child.

Over the course of the past year, the first-grader had also used the girls’ bathroom at Eagleside Elementary School in Fountain, Colorado near Colorado Springs, reports ABC affiliate KMGH.

Read more: dailycaller.com...#
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   
What are the morals and values of this world coming to?
dailycaller.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 1-3-2013 by slugger9787 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Pretty disgusting when all these people are warping this kids brain.

He was born a guy and everyone is trying to turn him into a female.

Very sad indeed. If he wants to switch when he's 18 then that's up to him, he can go get a surgery. If I had a daughter I'd be outraged they let a penis walk around my daughter in the bathroom.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Its not discrimination!!!
The kids a boy, it would be discrimination if he was forced to use a different bathroom to other boys.
If hes allowed to use the girls bathroom then it would be discrimination if other boys werent!!!!!

This to me is the media making mountains out of molehills.

Boys bathrooms are for boys and girls bathrooms are for girls, not for boys who wanna be girls
edit on 1/3/2013 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a difficult situation.

the whole gender confusion thing always puzzled me. in my neighbourhood, some years ago, there was a bloke who repaired bicycles, smoked roll-ups, drank, had tattoos and a broken nose (ie a typical geezer) who one day began dressing as a woman and wanted to be addressed thenceforth as Tanya. and that was that.
examples such as the OPs are even more puzzling. is it possible that one can be born into the 'wrong' gender body? is it a recent phenomenon? is there a societal influence? does a child have a grasp of these questions and their gravity? and if so, why and how?

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by RoScoLaz

At six years old you could tell a kid you are a Superhero and they would believe you. They have no idea at that age about gender issues.

This is all coming from the crazy adults. As the child grows older it may become an issue and then it can be addressed with professional help but not at six years old.
edit on 1-3-2013 by Hopechest because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest " At six years old you could tell a kid you are a Superhero and they would believe you. "

agreed.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by slugger9787

Can you please explain how this is even remotely Breaking News?

reply to post by Hopechest

So, what you're saying is that you would force your child to be the gender they were born with whether they liked it or not?

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   

So, what you're saying is that you would force your child to be the gender they were born with whether they liked it or not?

Correct.

When they get older and become more self-aware you can certainly discuss it but not at six years old. At that age they are not cognizant enough to know about the issue and must be told how to behave.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by slugger9787

This shows what people have been saying all along. Gender identification is present even at a very young age. In this case, at 18 months, as soon as she could form words. The child (not the adults) made this decision for herself when she was VERY young, and her identification as a female was strong and clear.

In the past, she would have been "forced" by her parents to live as a boy and pressured to be someone she isn't. These days, many parents are starting to take cues from their kids about their gender identification and their sexual orientation. This is a good thing, with the consequences being less anxiety and depression for the kids and fewer teen suicides.

This is how change happens. The parents are bringing a lawsuit. I don't agree with that, but it's certainly their choice. Personally, I'd take my kid out of public school and either home school or find a private school that would respect the kid's gender.

This has absolutely nothing to do with morals.
This is a fact of life that has been "closeted" for so many years. I admire the parents who listen to and respect the facts of their children's self-knowledge.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

If you as a parent allow a six-year old to tell you anything in regards to what they want, other than what flavor milk shake they prefer, you have no business being a parent.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   

I could say the same for a parent who refused to respect their child's inborn self-knowledge. Opinions...
We all have them.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
This has absolutely nothing to do with morals. This is a fact of life that has been "closeted" for so many years. I admire the parents who listen to and respect the facts of their children's self-knowledge.

Well said. This is just more proof that homosexuality is something you're born with. It's in the genes. A girl is going to be a girl, and a guy is going to be a guy no matter what body parts they were born with.

What's sad and disturbing is parents who would force their children to be someone they're not. It's those particular children who have a very rough and difficult life, and it's mostly the parents' fault for forcing something upon a child that's out of their control.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

I could say the same for a parent who refused to respect their child's inborn self-knowledge. Opinions...
We all have them.

Six year olds have no knowledge at that age.

What your condoning is bordering on pedophilia. If you believe a child, at the age of six years old, is wise enough to understand about their sexuality, then you must assume they understand about about other complicated issues such as love and feelings.

Are you suggesting its ok for adults to enter into relations with children that are pre-teens?
edit on 1-3-2013 by Hopechest because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
My two cents?

Suppressing this child's self identification would lead to far more destructive behavior later in life. The children should be able to feel as comfortable with themselves as possible.

In the end the child will likely be happier. And that is more important than what you feel child the should be.
edit on 1-3-2013 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Maybe you had no knowledge of gender at that age...

Gender awareness. By age 2 or 3, a child starts to develop a sense of being a male or female. This awareness is called gender identity. Kids this age start to understand the difference between boys and girls, and can identify themselves as one or the other.

Source

Children transitioned to using gender labels at approximately 19 months on average.

Source

There's a lot we won't understand about gender until we can be open and Rational about it.

edit on 1/3/2013 by osirys because: bad grammar... dont give the nazis ammo

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
My two cents?

Suppressing this child's self identification would lead to far more destructive behavior later in life. The children should be able to feel as comfortable with themselves as possible.

In the end the child will likely be happier. And that is more important than what you feel child the should be.
edit on 1-3-2013 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

Not sure I can agree with your philosophy of letting children do whatever they want as long as it makes them feel good.

What if a young child decides its fun to torture small animals? Are you going to encourage that behavior because they are comfortable with it or are you going to tell them that its not appropriate behavior.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   
I think this is stupid. 6 year olds do not know these things and are taught them. I do not believe in changing pronouns of "transgenders" anyway. You are what you are born as. If you have a Y chromosome you are a boy. Period. Nothing and no one should be able to make you look like a girl and let you pretend you are one. This boy is headed for a ton of beatings in school from other kids when he gets a little older. And if he continues pretending to be a girl he will deserve them.

I have a friend who has a kid that I thought was a girl for a long time. His mother lets him wear dresses and play with dolls. I called her on her abuse and she no longer speaks to me. I think it is wrong to do that to a kid.

And that boy's parents need to be charged with child abuse. They are responsible for his pretending to be a girl and they should be shown that is abuse.

And no, I have no compassion for people who pretend to be a different sex. I think they are mentally ill and should get treatment. The last thing you do when someone acts stupid like this kid is coddle them. He should use the boys bathroom whether he likes it or not.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

A girl is going to be a girl, and a guy is going to be a guy no matter what body parts they were born with.

Well actually the body parts your born with are what determine if your a guy or girl. Sexual orientation is a completely different thing. I know a few gay guys and they have no desire to be women.

The kid is messed up whichever way you look at it, if he wants to call himself Mary or Kim and wear girls clothes and play with barbies no worries, seems the school was ok with this. It drew the line at letting him use the Female toilets and rightly so.
What if he got to use the toilets, when he was 14 would he be allowed to shower with the girls after PE?

The issue wasnt how he identified himself it was exposing other kids to it, I wouldnt want my 6 year old daughter sharing a toilet with a messed up 6 year old boy, Im sure the majority of parents at that school felt the same way

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Not sure I can agree with your philosophy of letting children do whatever they want as long as it makes them feel good.

Point out where i said that?

What if a young child decides its fun to torture small animals?

That is destructive behavior. Dressing as a girls hurts no one.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join