It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Truth about Mirrors

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
There are many superstitions about mirror, like It is said that when someone dies, mirrors in the house must be covered so that the soul of the departed does not get trapped in the mirror, portal to another world.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

Thanks for pointing that out. I have 2 college degrees and cant spell!

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I really don’t buy into the mumbo jumbo stuff, but I think it is possible there could be memory loops (flaws perhaps) in mirrors where data gets captured and resides there until it is erased (overwritten) or the glass is broken.

Mirrors are pretty powerful tools considering we use them in instruments to capture objects in the space from thousands of years ago, as well as a simple tool to help us avoid collisions on the highway by extending our vision.

In the case of a virtual time machine that would allow you to glimpse into the past the same as you glimpse into the space. One could begin by using known large reflection sources and then extending your reach mapping other mirrors along each route essentially creating a virtual data highway.

Every reflection that ever was just might be out there waiting to be captured whether caught in memory loops or just speeding off into space. One only needs to look for or place mirrors in the right place to gather it.

edit on 3/1/13 by verylowfrequency because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Funny I found this thread.. I have an aunt who is pretty 'out there' when it comes to her 'psychic' abilities and whatnot.

She has this old mirror that her and her husband found in the attic of the home they moved into, and she refuses to get rid of it. She says that an old mans spirit is trapped inside of it, but he wants to be free and it's 'her duty' to free him.

That's my crazy Aunt Julie for ya.'

Still, after reading this thread & it's replies.. makes me go "Huh."

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Phantom traveller

Then youd hate my house.
I have many antique mirrors, one 4'X6' in my livingroom I acquired in an unusual way. We bought a historic home that was built by the founders of the local spiritualist church. Before the church was built, they had the church here. On the 2nd floor is the weird room that was a psychomanteum. I had turned it into a little study/library, but we are restoring it to the psychomanteum it was with pics from the surviving grandson of the builders. The walls are torn out now and we start the restoration this spring. One whole wall of mirrors you sit in front of in the big ol antique wingback chair and look for spookiness in them.
Im not a spiritualist, but it will definitely be a neat addition to the house.
en.wikipedia.org...

Im about as psychic as a concrete block, so I never have issues in my spooky ol mirrored up house. If they live here, and if I communicated with them.... Id probably give them household chores and chuck the lazy ones out.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by chisisiCoptos

In general, literature about talisman/magical objects notes that belief in the power of the object is the strongest factor in its effect. If you were concerned about the item, getting rid of it is definitely going to help, according to the known principles of action which are involved.

A possible timeline of the mirror that would explain why you were affected:

1) Mirror is deliberately enchanted or exposed to some negative event by person A.
2) Person B learns of this enchantment or negative event and its relation to the mirror. Person B is now under the spell.
3) Person C (that's you) is told by person B about the mirror. Person C is now under the spell.
4) Mirror is removed. Effect goes away. No one is under the spell any longer, as long as no one is told about the mirror's past.

So you can see there's nothing supernatural about the enchantment: it is a carefully constructed, viral structure of belief. In the same sense, it's absolutely real to the psyche that is exposed to it, just as much as any other idea is real.

Fascinating stuff!

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by LipstickMystic

Thank you, it really seemed like a ton of bricks had been removed from my shoulders. I thought it strange the next morning that my stepson and his girlfriend moved out. Well I kind of told them to.Very negative people as far as name calling and fighting each other, hurting each other. They were making me miserable just having to hear it all the time.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Autograf

Yes I do find that true. One time years ago things were just happening all the time at home. Just complete chaos, then it hit me. My neighbor had given me this ugly dagger to add with mine. Although he was just probably being nice, getting rid of it stopped the problems.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Energy and information can be stored in crystals. I can't say for sure but maybe a soul could jump to a mirror if someone died.
Naw, just kidding, it would mean that the mirror would have to have energy supplied to it to keep the soul from dissipation. Still, information may be able to be stored in it. I can't understand how this could work but I won't totally discount it just because there is no evidence. If you think that the mirror is bothering you, just put it somewhere else like you did. If the soul part could for a strange reason be possible, it would be feasible to say leaving it out in below zero weather in the dark would dissipate the soul.

I can come up with BS for just about anything

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I lived in a haunted house for eight years. The house was over 150 years old. The spirit did not try to hurt me. It was an older lady that came back to live in the house when she was younger. I remember my landlord sold it to another man. He was going to help me paint the house as far as buying the paint. His daughter came over and came inside holding some painting supplies. She screamed and jumped back dropping stuff. She saw a young woman in a nightgown move across a back room.
I would come home to loud music and usually the same song for years would be playing. I felt safe there when I was alone but when I had company, all hell broke loose. I was a little worried because not one of my animals would stay inside. Once in the house, they would try to dig their way out if I did not get up. So much happen to write about now but I am a believer!

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
Energy and information can be stored in crystals. I can't say for sure but maybe a soul could jump to a mirror if someone died.
Naw, just kidding, it would mean that the mirror would have to have energy supplied to it to keep the soul from dissipation. Still, information may be able to be stored in it. I can't understand how this could work but I won't totally discount it just because there is no evidence. If you think that the mirror is bothering you, just put it somewhere else like you did. If the soul part could for a strange reason be possible, it would be feasible to say leaving it out in below zero weather in the dark would dissipate the soul.

Good post! Not sure if you were being entirely serious, but within the framework I am positing as a mechanism for the mirror's negative effects, the "energy supplied to it" which you describe, can be understood as the attention given to it by the people who are aware of its history.

In the present narrative, OP (person C) gave energy to the mirror when the story was related by person B, and the link was established which allowed the idea to pass on and "have legs" as the saying goes.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Autograf

Originally posted by rickymouse

Good post! Not sure if you were being entirely serious, but within the framework I am positing as a mechanism for the mirror's negative effects, the "energy supplied to it" which you describe, can be understood as the attention given to it by the people who are aware of its history.

In the present narrative, OP (person C) gave energy to the mirror when the story was related by person B, and the link was established which allowed the idea to pass on and "have legs" as the saying goes.

When you look at a mirror the reflected light hits the silver backing and bounces out and attaches to the glass. this energy builds and reflects the energy that is coming at it forcing us to perceive an image of ourselves. The smoother the glass the smoother the image. Our mirror image is not a reflection from the glass, it is a reflection formed by the energy field of the glass. A shiny metal heat duct causes an energy buildup on the inner side in this surface tension. This surface tension causes the repulsion of the heat. The metal does not even get nearly as hot as the air inside, so metal can be an insulator if conditions are right.

I see that we store knowledge in crystals. Why can't this happen in nature. Why can't a crystal rock contain knowledge? Why are diamonds and other crystals so revered as jewelry. Maybe they can hold a backup copy of some of our knowledge. Being able to retrieve it may be something only a select few other than the person creating the knowledge can do. Are people psychic or are they able to read knowledge from these crystals? Can we store knowledge in bone, a crystal makeup? Do the crystal skulls contain knowledge from a past generation of beings? I will not discount anything unless the right testing is done, some of which we have not created yet because we have not designed the technology.

This information that is stored in the crystal structure can also be wrong. It could be the perception of a being that was crazy or mad at others. It doesn't mean the information is wrong technically, just that proper interpretation needs to be made. You need to understand the wants and desires coupled with the customs of the people of the time. That time is different than now so it can be misinterpreted.

I'm getting a feeling I need to get a coat on, you know, the kind they call a straight jacket
Keeping into perspective that this is just speculation trying to show possibility. If there is anything to what I am implying than it is important to say to all that this information should just be used for learning purposes, don't let it take over your mind. Our mind along with it's moral structure controls the body. When you touch something it is important just to listen and not to let it control your perception. We have to remain normal in society, well we have to act normal anyway.

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by iwan2ski

That dresser would have never ever left my house after that incident! Why on earth did you get rid of it?

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by chisisiCoptos

The one drawback on ATS is I can't tell if a thread is serious or not. I've read the OP and the replies. If all of you are just horsing around, then you're all very imaginative. If you guys are serious, then you're all completely NUTS!

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by iwan2ski

Where is the mirror now?!

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   
My mirror story is over on this thread at about the fourth paragraph. I have heard some of the other folk lore stuff posted in this thread but also remember reading somewhere that in the laws of Feng Shui one should never hang a mirror on a north wall, or something of that sort. In my basement bedroom I have an older bedroom set from the 1980's which has a mirror on it's headboard. Not sure why it bothers me but it does. I've had some memorable dreams and nightmares while snoozing down there
I'm not superstitious about anything, but mirrors have always creeped me out. Also, old tv screens that are turned off and you see the rooms reflection in it bug me too, even when I was a kid. I once had an apartment with a mirror on the back of a door that reflected in medicine cabinet mirror so I'm going to check out those links upthread.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Folklore regarding mirrors goes back literally thousands of years- long before mercury could be blamed for causing hallucinations.

Its Roman lore that gives us the '7 years bad luck' after breaking a mirror, as they saw it as breaking ones health, and that life renews every 7 years.

The occult practice of scrying can involve mirrors- black obsidian ones in particular, but regular old modern 'silvered' mirrors are said to work just as well. Nostradamus used a bowl of water to gaze into the future, but scrying has been used in many cultures for hundreds of years in the belief that it can divine the past, present, or future.

A candle magic ritual goes like this- Sit in a darkened room facing a mirror, place the candle in front of you and look at your reflection, let your eyes relax and after a few moments your face will begin to change. Allegedly, your reflection will reveal what you looked like your past lives.

Most mystical practices agree that a mirror is a doorway to other realms, and the covering of mirrors around a dying relative to stop their spirit becoming 'trapped' within it goes back a long, long time. If a dead person sees himself in a mirror, his soul will become lost or have no rest, or he will become a vampire. The power of mirrors to suck out souls is illustrated in the Greek myth of Narcissus, who sees his reflection in water and then pines and dies.

Not confined to the West, ancient Chinese magic mirrors go back to the Han Dynasty (206 BC – 24 AD) and were made from cast bronze. In Russian folklore, mirrors are the invention of the devil because they have the power to draw souls out of bodies. In other lore, seeing a corpse reflected in a mirror puts the living at risk for having one’s soul carried off by the ghost of the dead. Seeing one’s own reflection in a mirror in a room where someone has died means one’s own impending death.

It is also considered unlucky to look into a mirror in moonlight or by candlelight, for one will see ghosts, the devil or a portent of one’s own death. In Persian lore, ghosts may be seen in a mirror by standing in front of it and combing the hair without thinking, speaking or moving. Then of course we have the vampires inability to cast a reflection in a mirror........a total work of fiction, dreamed up by Bram Stoker (although he was aware of the occult and folklore meanings connect with mirrors).

Finally, from the website of a modern expert on the paranormal, this:

"Badly placed mirrors are sometimes a factor in hauntings. Mirrors should not be placed at the foot or head of a bed, for occult lore holds that they may provide a doorway for spirits to enter the room. One should not see one’s self in a mirror while in bed for the same reason. Mirrors should never face into each other, which warps space in peculiar ways. Most of the time, mirrors are not going to pose a paranormal problem. However, if haunting phenomena is present and persistent, and takes place in the bedroom, consider moving or removing mirrors."

Sounds like you did the right thing, OP!

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by elemenop
And
reply to post by mysteryskeptic

Sorry I did not respond sooner, I've been busy last couple of days. Anyway, I have no clue where the mirror is now. We took it to the base recycling center back in 2002 and haven't seen it since. The recycling center on this base btw doesn't just trash what's left there, but also serves as a place where other people can find and take what's left behind. "One Man's trash is anothers treasure".

Looking back, I think we realised that maybe we shouldn't have gotten rid of it, but at the time, we were leaving Idaho and moving to Missouri when I was transferred to work on the B-2 Stealth Bomber and we were over our weight limit to ship, so we had to make some decisions on what would be left behind. With all the strange happenings around the mirror, I think my wife wanted to leave those memories behind.

...However, my paranormal experiences didn't end there. I have about 8 experience in my life in which were pretty incredible and has become part of my usual camp fire stories that people ask me to tell. I would like to one day make a thread on ATS just to serve as reference material when subjects like these come up.

edit on 4-3-2013 by iwan2ski because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join