It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Truth about Mirrors

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   
I have always surrounded myself with antiques, even when I was younger, my family had old stuff. I have had a few mirrors over the years and was told recently that there could be a problem with them. I do know I had an older one in my bedroom recently connected to a dresser that was kind of old. When I was told about there could be something bad about it I removed it from the home! It is still on the property behind our separate two car garage but I did notice a huge sense of relief to things around here when I ditched it. I actually feel not as depressed and much stronger. Is there any truth or validation to this or could someone please explain if I am wrong?

Thank you
edit on 2-3-2013 by Kandinsky because: fixed title typo

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Reply to post by chisisiCoptos

What do you mean when you say there could be something wrong with them? You mean haunted? Did you have any paranormal experiences with it?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by wjones837

I know one was in the family a long time but for a while it seemed to be around some negative people. Another was not mine originally but I was told it might have been around a bad person or negative person. I was told they can capture the negative energy sometimes? That one had a bad feeling, strange shadows I was told.
edit on 1-3-2013 by chisisiCoptos because: added

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Reply to post by chisisiCoptos

Well maybe it's not doing anything necessarily but it's presence causes bad memories and therefore a bad feeling? I know there are songs, places and things that make me uncomfortable when I am around them.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by wjones837

thank you

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by chisisiCoptos

Truth about Mirriors
If mirrors can reflect images they also can absorb Emotions and states of living in a way.

Like some kind of fields of energy that might be around them or the place(room) where they are(were).

But you can review this thread if it's of any help to understand about mirrors.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   

The art of divination by mirror is an ancient type of divination by scrying called catoptromancy or enoptromancy.

It was once a widely held belief that demons, Lillith in particular, could enter and possess those who stared in mirrors for too long. Mirrors and Lillith have long been associated with one other in superstition and mythology.

Also, covering mirrors in a home when someone in the home dies is common practice in Judaism and from that, superstition has sprung up outside of Judaism that if a mirror is not covered when someone dies in a house, their spirit may become trapped in the mirror.

Finally, folklore states that if a young woman gazed in a mirror long enough on Halloween, she would see the face of her future husband or a skull personifying death if their fate was to die before they ever married.

There is much more mythology, folklore, superstition, etc., related to mirrors and mirrorgazing. There is the positive and the negative...it's up to you to decide how you feel about it.

It sound like there may have been a spirit trapped in the mirror you had to remove from your house, or some negative non-human entity attached to or entering your home through it.
edit on 3/1/2013 by jcutler12888 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by jcutler12888

You are very smart, you can tell. I know a shadow a couple of years ago entered through the top of the front door and slowly moved across the ceiling and went out the back top of the window like the crack in the ceiling. It did not stay when I entered in the room. I for whatever reason was not scared and felt powerful. But that could be from 2nd ex wife that I am pretty sure was straight from Hell.
edit on 1-3-2013 by chisisiCoptos because: spelling

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Ghosts in mirrors. Ghosts appearing in mirrors. Ghosts revealing themselves in mirrors. Ghosts passing thru mirrors.

I never had that experience before. Don't think I want to.

Goes like this. You are in the bathroom doing what you do in the mirror and you look away for a moment... when you look back there is a figure standing behind you... you whip around and there is nothing there. You look back at the mirror and you are alone.

Has been oft reported enough to run shivers along the spine. If I was a ghost and I wanted to mess with people on some level that is surely an unexpected mind trip to play.

Spirits are supposed to come and go from mirrors (its a doorway). But if you think about it, why a mirror... any wall or door will do. And they do. Something about red spirit eyes appearing at your window... on the second floor.

Then theres Bloody Mary...

edit on 1-3-2013 by intrptr because: retract YouTube

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Thank you so much for the compliment!

It sounds like a shadow person/being took a peek in your home...you feeling powerful and it leaving upon your entrance can be attributed to a number of things: extreme psychic fortitude (not telepathic abilities but a highly developed psychic shield), a strong aura of light and benevolence, a strong faith in God or a Creator, etc. There are two types of shadow people/beings: human spirits that passed on and have become negative and even malevolent/malicious in their afterlife stuck on Earth or negative, malevolent and malicious non-human entities otherwise known as demons.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Mirrors are such an interesting thing to me, especcially since I once heard that they can be like windows to other realms. Of course nowadays I find when mirrors are used in TV-stories about the paranormal, they usually seem to show the bad or evil or just plain creepy (I don't know why, does creepy attract more viewers?), but I don't think that was what mirrors were meant to be about at all.

I once read that when you sit in front of a mirror and look into your own eyes for a while without blinking and let your mind wander and your thoughts relax, you will see the faces you had in your previous lives. I did it (even though with a fast beating heart because sadly I also knew all the creepy mirror stories back then and for some reason such stories seem to stick in mind very easy) so I would only try that while being in a lighthearted and positive mood - anyway - when I did that I saw after a while several (I believe four different) faces quite clear, especcially the last one which was an older man with white hair and the bluest eyes I have ever seen, and he looked at me with a smile that was so warm and from the heart, I have never forgotten that even though it's been years since then. The other faces were women's (I am a woman now but believe one can be a man in one life time and a woman in the next), who neither looked anything like me or anyone I know and were also much older and alltogether looked like normal nice sweet people. For me it was a beautiful experience, especially the blue eyes of the last man.

And you don't even have to use mirrors for this, it is supposed to work when you sit in front of a person you feel very close with and look into their eyes as well (But I never tried that, so can't say how that works).

Maybe I have to add that the mirror I used for that was not old and never in the hands of anyone other than me.
I do not really believe that bad things can live in mirrors or attach themselves onto them or come out of another dimension into ours through them, but I do believe that energies can be stored in objects, and if an old mirror may have been spending a life time in a house with negative people or scared ones or worse, those energies can later be felt by sensitive people and give them a bad feeling which then - combined with their own imagination - can create images of shadows or other things they seem to see in these mirrors. But they couldn't harm, they are just reflections of one's own energy and imagination. That's what I believe.

Great topic, btw.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Old mirrors used mercury...

Short-term exposure to high levels of mercury vapor can cause lung damage, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, increases in blood pressure or heart rate, skin rashes, and eye irritation. Exposure to high levels of mercury vapor can permanently damage the brain, kidneys, and developing fetuses.

I think your problem was chemical, not astrophysical
edit on 1-3-2013 by rival because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   
All I can say is I have always been told by my mother to cover mirrors around the house at night.
Now, that's not just a paranormal thing, it's a cultural thing.
I am indigenous and we(culturally) believe mirrors are doorways for other entities. Okay, not always negative entities but in this day and age you cannot trust the energies that can and will (without your consent) use these portals....
If I have a mirror in my room it is covered at night.

I don't give these beliefs much credit but I will say that after years of doing this I do feel a difference between covered or uncovered mirrors...
So my 2 cents for ya!

I once had a dream- just a dream mind- that a woman, a witch, once sat on the other side of my mirror and watched me while sleeping.
Obviously brought on by such ideas but still you never know.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 06:04 AM
link   

I am terrified by mirrors.I only have one in my house and that is in the bathroom.

I know it sounds stupid,but when i was younger i was fooling around with occult stuff and mirror magic was something that i've tried.Now i don't know if it was overactive imagination or if something really happened(no drugs were used),but i have seen terrible things in the mirror.

According to things that i have read,mirrors can be used as portals to other plains of existence or even trap the soul if someone dies in front of a mirror.
As jcutler12888 mentioned there is a lot of folklore and urban legends surrounding mirrors.

After many years that was lying in my bookcase i recently found the courage to read the horror nover "Mirror" by Graham Masterton.He's one of my favourite authors and this is the only book that i couldn't read.It really gave me nightmares,but he has used many of the mirror folklore and if you like horror fiction i suggest you read it.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 06:06 AM
link   
i think your caught up in your imagination.....

good job with the 2 car garage though

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Mirrors simply remind us of the stupid things we have done, they bring up all those regrets. Simply having one in the room will effect our subconcious, because we know if we look into it we will see a screwup.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   

I am not entirely sure how or why mirrors seem to have some extraordinary properties, but I can tell you a personal experience I had with a particular antique dresser and mirror that we used to own.

This story I'm about to tell, is one of a handful of paranormal experiences I've witnessed in my lifetime:

This true story started back in 1999 when I got married and moved out to Idaho where I was stationed at Mountain Home AFB. We were a very young couple (I was 20, my wife was 18) and my wife just gave birth to my first daughter. We didn't have much to get started so a lot of our furniture was donated to us by family members. One of the donated pieces was an old dresser with a huge mirror which sat above it. At the time, all I knew was that it came from my wife's mother who had it kept in storage. We thought it would be a good dresser for my daughter clothes and fit nicely in her room. I'm not sure when we first noticed strange happenings, because at first we probably ignored the small things, but that soon escalated!

Over the next two years we had some very strange on goings. One day I had some friends from work come over to hang out and every time this one "friend" would walk by the hallway, a picture of my wife's deceased grandmother would fall off the wall. Again we just thought maybe he was walking too hard or bump the wall, but this picture only fell when he came close to it and on different occasions. We then joked that maybe her grandmother didn't approve of this guy and later that proved to be good judgment on her part.

One morning, I awoke to a women's voice loudly calling my name in my ear. I thought it was my wife at first, but realized she was not home and that I was alone. Another time I heard this voice in my house was when my neighbor and I were watching a football game on tv while our wives were outside talking. As we sat there we both heard the voice coming from upstairs and had called out my name. My neighbor look right at me and said, "What the hell was that?" for he heard it too and knew that we were in the house by ourselves.

The strange occurrences continued for many months and I could go on and on about each one, but I will now jump to the main story and how we realized the mirror was probably the cause....

I was working Swing shift (2:30pm to 11:30PM) and just came home. My wife and daughter were already asleep as usual and I sat down with my dinner as I watched some tv before going to bed. Around 1am or so, my daughter (who was about 15 months old at the time) woke up screaming. I got up, walked upstairs to check on her, when I heard the sound of someone Shooshing and whispering. Of course I guessed that my wife got up before I did and was calming her down, but when I got to the top floor I glance in my room as saw my wife was still asleep. I then rushed over to my daughters room and flung the door open hoping to catch something and there was my daughter (no longer crying) standing in her crib with her arms outreaching towards the mirror. My daughter in shock with me barging in looked at me then back to the mirror and started crying again as if what was there had left.

I immediately knew that the mirror must have been the source of the hauntings and experiences we were having. My wife asked her mother where the dresser came from and she said it was from her grandmother who she had never met because she died before my wife was born.

Then about a week later, I was at work when I got a emergency phone call from my wife crying that someone was upstairs in our daughters room walking around and when she went to check on the situation, our daughter was not in her crib where she laid her down. I drove home as quickly as possible. When I got there my wife and neighbors were outside and they said they already called the police. I shouted where is our daughter and my wife kept screaming I don't know. So I ran inside, grabbed a kitchen knife and went upstairs to her room. When I entered the room I noticed that the window screen was pushed inward and the window was slightly pried open. I searched the room for my daughter and finally I found her tucked snuggly away in her closet sleeping.

The base police arrived with the OSI and they dusted for finger prints and investigated the incident. They concluded that there was an attempted break-in, but for some reason they stopped and ran off. Now my daughter (15months old) was able to crawl but was not walking yet and was incapable of climbing out of the crib, crawl to her closet, open it, then shut the door behind her and tuck herself safety away from the intruders. The only conclusion we could come to was that her protective great grandmother must have somehow moved her away from danger and maybe scared the intruders away.

The sad part is that it all ceased when we got rid of the dresser and possibly the spirit of her grandmother with it.

edit on 1-3-2013 by iwan2ski because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

The truth about "mirriors" is that there is only one letter "i" in "mirror"

ETA:

And yes, mirrors are spooky. S+F.
edit on 3/1/2013 by this_is_who_we_are because: edit to add, typo

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
There are two people that work a lot with mirrors. First is Dr. Raymond Moody where in the book "Reunions" talked about something called the psychomanteum that he made based on the oracles of delphi. His success rate in reuniting people with their loved one's spirit is rather interesting and somewhat disturbing with some cases occurring days after the mirror work.

Second is Joshua P. Warren who noticed that in many cases of paranormal activity that the highest concentration of activity occurred in rooms with more than 1 mirror. In some cases a very prominent mirror. It compelled him to surmise that if it's reflecting and amplifying energy, then what would happen if you turned a mirror into a box with all of the mirrors reflecting inward.

Anyway, a couple of interesting results can be found on youtube regarding "the devil's toybox".

As to whether a mirror can hold spirit energy isn't for certain as these two guys saying that mirrors reflect and possibly amplify spirit energy.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Honestly and I dont know why, but I work around mirrors, and have even made some using the silvering process, but too me Mirrors are just weird. I really dont think people were ever supposed to see themselves with such clarirty, and I feel that some energy gets trapped in mirrors and other personal objects. Its really not hard process in making the mirrors, we made some for Walt Disney with bent glass. pretty cool

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join