It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

United States Supreme Court Rules 4th Amendment Null And Void (Video)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Link to Article

Hi, So I don't know if this is really accurate, but according to this the 4th amendment is now void. Something about not being able to challenge wiretapping without a warrant. Isn't everything you say already recorded? So they ruled against it, can't it be brought up again in the future, contest it with different set of people sitting int he Supreme Court. What do you think. Valid?

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by NJoyZ

Which supreme court ruling is this? I can't find a link to the actual decision in the link you provided.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I don't know the exact ruling, but this was a bit more on their refusal to hear it. Maybe they are just saying 'It's not big enough for us to bother with yet':

Senators Ron Wyden (D-OR) and Mark Udall (D-CO) sent a letter to the Office of the Inspector General of the Intelligence Community asking, “how many people inside the United States have had their communications collected or reviewed under the authorities granted by section 702” of the FISA Amendment Act (FAA). The NSA responded by rejecting the lawmakers’ request, and said a “review of the sort suggested would itself violate the privacy of US persons.”

“All that Senator Udall and I are asking for is a ballpark estimate of how many Americans have been monitored under this law, and it is disappointing that the Inspectors General cannot provide it,” Sen. Wyden told Wired’s Danger Room at the time.

“If no one will even estimate how many Americans have had their communications collected under this law then it is all the more important that Congress act to close the ‘back door searches’ loophole, to keep the government from searching for Americans’ phone calls and emails without a warrant.”

In the court’s majority opinion, five justices even added that the government’s ability to wiretap Americans doesn’t begin and end with FISA, either.
"The Government has numerous other methods of conducting surveillance, none of which is challenged here,” they ruled. “Because respondents do not face a threat of certainly impending interception” under FISA, “the costs that they have incurred to avoid surveillance are simply the product of their fear of surveillance,” the court told the plaintiffs.
US Supreme Court refuses to let Americans challenge FISA eavesdropping law
edit on 28-2-2013 by NJoyZ because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-2-2013 by NJoyZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   
There is no actual ruling from the Supreme Court on the 4th amendment. They just refused to hear the case. That happens sometimes, especially if they don't feel it's a federal issue.

top topics

join