It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you get migraines? it might be MY GRAINS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Yes, terrible pun. Nope, I'm not a doctor, but I am a patient, one that had nothing to lose. Yes, I did an experiment that my doc thought had nothing to do with headaches. I used to get horrible visual auras & migraines along with severe snow vision and all kinds of neurological craziness.

One day I started doing food elimination. I noticed whenever I ate eggs I would get a dull ache in the back of my head almost immediately after eating them. When I ate popcorn or any corn I would get a dull pain on my forehead and top of the head, also immediately. So I stopped eating them and after 3 days they disappeared, but the visual migraines did not, and neither did the snow vision. So when i got to wheat, after 3 days I noticed I didn't have a migraine and after 7 days my snow vision got better. So I kept on going for 6 months and never had a headache again.

Fast forward to 3 days ago. I decide to eat popcorn to see what would happen. The headache came back.
Last night I tried eating wheat for the first time in months. Yep, a terrible visual migraine that lasted 8 hours and snow vision reared its ugly head again. No worries, I know what to do.

The point of this story is. If you suffer from terrible migraines and unexplained headaches, you might want to try elimination diets, particularly wheat, corn and eggs.
edit on 28-2-2013 by lupodigubbio because: typo

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Everyone's migraines could be different, but mine have to do with potassium. I read a book when I was younger about what kind of foods trigger migraines. Green beans, bologna, hot dogs, for instance.

If I were to eat bologna for several days in a row, or hot dogs, I would get a migraine within a day or two. Banana's are the worst (even though I love bananas). Because a banana is so high in potassium, just eating one would almost assuredly trigger a migraine within a day or so. Even drinking too much orange juice can trigger a migraine that same day.

However, after taking multivitamins for several years now, I've noticed a vast reduction in migraines due to multivitamins containing potassium.

So, staying away from, or moderating foods that cause migraines, and taking a multivitamin every day, which includes a steady stream of potassium, has significantly reduced my migraines to once a year. Sometimes two.

I remember when I was a kid, doctors used to tell my parents that if I had more than 6 or 8 migraines a year, I would have to be on some sort of medication for the rest of my life for them. And here I've all but cured them myself.

edit on 28-2-2013 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
If someone has any sort of chronic health complaint, they need to explore hidden food sensitivities and allergies. Alletess and Alcat are two good options. Skin prick testing for allergies is fairly useless, so don't bother with it. You need to keep a food journal, and get blood testing (elisa or similar).

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Forgot to add, most migraines, especially common migraines can be dramatically improved with chiropractic therapy. There is a huge cervicogenic component to headaches.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I'm glad you found what is causing your migraines, but I doubt what you're suggesting will work for many people. It can't hurt for people to try though.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by lupodigubbio

Congrats on figuring out something beneficial to your health. I remember reading once that all humans are in fact allergic to grains in some way, just that some people are much more so. Most people don't notice any negative effect but that doesn't mean there is not a negative effect to be found.

Yes, I did an experiment that my doc thought had nothing to do with headaches.

I don't discount a doctors expertise but the way I see it, the doctor had training some odd years ago and in all aspects relating to disease and health. There is no possible way that any doctor could ever keep tabs on the gap of knowledge they have from the time they graduated to present day on every problem that can happen to a humans health.

So what makes a doctor more of an expert on one specific health issue than say me who just spent a months time researching that specific health issue. If anything I could teach the doctor a few things.

Example: My wife had chronic hives on and off (though at least a little everyday) for over a year. I told her as I was dropping her off at the allergist (the best in the state I am told) "I've been looking into this condition quite a bit, I really think it is the prescription medicine you are taking for _____ (left blank cause nobody needs to know, I like to keep some things private, though if you have chronic hives PM me).

She laughed (she works in health care)but I made her mention it to the allergist who also said that was crazy (probably not those exact words) anyhow, long story short after suffering with hives everyday for over a year I finally convince her to stop taking the prescription as she had nothing to lose (it wasn't a necessary med).

Low and behold the next day her hives were better, within 2 months they disappeared completely and haven't returned since. Doctors are great, and I do consider them experts in health but that doesn't mean they are an expert in what is ailing you. Oh, by the way the allergist just gave her more prescriptions, a different a stronger anti-histamine cocktail every 3 months that masked the issue somewhat but never cured it. The side effects from the additional prescriptions were not fun for her.

Just felt like I should share my experience. Congrats again OP, migraines are the worst. My wife gets those too and I have been pushing her to stop eating grains for a long time but she won't budge. she thinks it is genetic cause her dad gets them too, well her dad eats grains also
Some people never learn.
edit on 28-2-2013 by sageofmonticello because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by lupodigubbio

All migraines have triggers, all migraine sufferets must find their triggers. Congrats on finding your triggers, so far for myself i found extreme sudden weather changes are one of my triggers, another is stress. Im sure your aware most migraine sufferers have many triggers. Peace from a fellowette migraine sufferer

CX

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I get migraines, the ones where you need to go lay in a dark room with no light, very often end up being sick with them.

That said, after trying most of the migraine meds on the market, i have settles for a much easier remedy. Two paracetamol painkillers, two anti-inflammatories, and most importantly, sun glasses the moment i feel the onset of a headache. The glasses enable me to carry on using a screen or have the lights on indoors without ill effect.

This seems to cut short my headache much more quickly.

Causes for my migraines? Battered fish from the chip shop, orange Tango and when a thunderstorm is coming.

CX.

join