Youtube speed test

page: 1

join

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
It just took me 3 minutes to load a 30 second clip from youtube. Frustrated, I right-clicked on the clip and found a link for a speed test. This is what I got: The red arrow pointing down shows my speed. I have never had a problem with youtube until a couple of months ago. I can watch whole movies on other sites without a problem. So, what's going on!

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
There's a difference between download speeds, and upload speeds.

Youtube could've updated something, or you could be watching higher quality videos than you used to.

ISP could have lowered your service. Depends on what you signed.

With something like this, there's a million possible variables.

That said, I have found youtube to be kinda spotty when viewing music videos(pretty much all I use Youtube for) from my iphone. Sometimes it'll load instantly, other times it won't even load at all. This is while connected to wifi.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I know there are mirrors for youtube around the place, we've got one associated with my ISP so most content is a little more local. Maybe for some reason you were streaming from a dinky server?

Having said that, since html5 has been put in place on youtube, it pathetically useless.

I used to be able to load a video, let it buffer, and then play it even on a slow connection.

Now it only buffers a chunk. So if I rewind of move forward, there goes the buffering all over again.

god knows what they've done. they've changed everything over and over, google has. If they came out today with all this arrogant BS and tried to tell us to use it, we'd tell them to bugger off. but they slowly became the monster they are...

and small changes allow acceptance. until you no longer even care..

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Hmm, did you do a live test?

That's an average. So it's over time - that's pretty bad for an average, but I don't know what your actual speed is.

I see my average is about 5MBps, but if I do a live stream test, it shows the actual speed of on average 10000kbps.

Which is pretty much my speed limit.. sucks being so far from the exchange here to be synced so low on adsl2+

have you tried that to see what you're actually getting right now?
edit on 28-2-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)
edit on 28-2-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I suspect it's a problem your side (your ISP's side) rather than Youtube. Do a test at speedtest.net.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Try this, what dose it say?
www.speedtest.net...

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
youre ISP i having a # week, mine too i'm on 500kpbs.
bark at the moon or make a thread on ats

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Your ISP is throttling in your internet connection. Most likely more upload than download, but it happens quite a bit these days unfortunately.

That or there is a bandwidth bottle neck occurring somewhere. If it's only localized to Youtube itself, try clearing all your cache, cookies, updating your browser and any plugins you have.

Try a different browser alternatively and speed test your connection, your ISP should have their own speed test URL you can get from their website.

This is the one for Comcast.

~Tenth

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Sucks to be you

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I've noticed lately that youtube videos take longer to load. Your not the only one. For some videos it takes longer than others. I think it may be on their end, but to be honest I have no idea.

Or maybe it's on our end? I did have a little more success with google chrome versus Firefox. It is frustrating,,,

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I didn't have any trouble...this time...

However, I have experienced the same thing as you. I went so far as to think that my ISP (Brighthouse) may actually be throttling my service at various times. After some research though I found that land based ISP's do not throttle bandwidth.

The bulk of the sluggish-ness issue (from my observations) seem to come during peak usage time frames (globally, or at least nationally) and/or site traffic at the given time on the whole or even with the specific video I am attempting to view.

I did take a few steps to increase my connection speed through the use of third party software though. One that seems to bump the speed up a little (verified through SpeedTest.net) and is very descriptive as to what one is changing in regards to their default connection values is
TZ Connection Booster 4.0.0.0
(click the blue download link if you are so inclined to try this).

Even with that though, I have found that if I am trying to view a Youtube video during any peak usage times, it can still render sluggish results as far as connection and downloads are concerned.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Now it only buffers a chunk.

Yeah! That's exactly what I've been thinking.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint
I suspect it's a problem your side (your ISP's side) rather than Youtube. Do a test at speedtest.net.

Thanks, SM. I can't believe I've become a dinosaur when it comes to computer stuff. I don't even know what the results mean? Are these numbers good?

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Thanks, SM. I can't believe I've become a dinosaur when it comes to computer stuff. I don't even know what the results mean? Are these numbers good?

Well the download speed definitely isn't related to YouTube itself. I don't know what to suggest really, if it's suddenly changed then maybe your ISP is throttling your download/upload speed. You could try calling them but that's always frustrating and often useless. I would say your connection is fairly decent though, it's slightly below average in the US and about average in my country. You could try different servers on speedtest.net just to make sure, the closer they are to you the fast it should be. Sorry I can't be of much help.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Here's a way to tell if you're being throttled...

From PCMag

Is your ISP throttling your Internet connection or is it just time to get a new computer? How much bandwidth are you actually using? Are you getting the Internet speeds promised by your provider?

These may seem like basic questions, but they are not easily answered. At the root of last year's Comcast network management debacle was whether or not the cable provider was blocking access to file-sharing Web sites. Comcast said no, the Federal Communications Commission said yes, but we never got a clear answer.

Cox Communications also said Wednesday that it will begin throttling some kinds of traffic, including software downloads, in February.

Measurement Lab (M-Lab), a new open platform announced Wednesday, is looking to clear up that confusion.

M-Lab is the brainchild of Google, the New America Foundation's Open Technology Institute (OTI), and the PlanetLab consortium. It will allow a platform for researchers to deploy Internet measurement tools in order to share data about their accuracy and reliability.

Here's a good "how to" on using the tool: How to use Measurement Lab Testing Tool
edit on 3/2/2013 by UberL33t because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Well the download speed definitely isn't related to YouTube itself. I don't know what to suggest really, if it's suddenly changed then maybe your ISP is throttling your download/upload speed. You could try calling them but that's always frustrating and often useless. I would say your connection is fairly decent though, it's slightly below average in the US and about average in my country. You could try different servers on speedtest.net just to make sure, the closer they are to you the fast it should be. Sorry I can't be of much help.

I enjoy a British show called Qi. Last night I watched an episode from a website called putlocker. The show was about 29 minutes and as soon as I clicked on it, it ran without a hitch. No waiting for streaming. So, I know it's not my computer. But I have to wait for a 30 second clip on youtube? LOL Ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

I clicked on the link you provided (thanks for that), and here is what it says:

Bandwidth throttling happens when a server attempts to limit the amount of bandwidth that a given service may use.

My question is, why would any company do that? What's the point? How does this turn a profit? Especially when it only frustrates users and makes them look elsewhere. I don't get it.

posted on Mar, 2 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

A form of bait and switch I suppose. From what I have read about my provider is that they don't throttle. But, I pay for the highest speed they offer and like you, it can sometimes take me fo'evah to load a 1 min YT video. Which leads me to only one conclusion is that it's YT.

I haven't really noticed it on other sites (probably just not paying close enough attention). I should start logging the times when it does that though. Maybe then it could be narrowed down to perhaps peak usage hours on the ISP's end and/or YT's end, which is what I suspect may be the case.

new topics

join