It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chattanooga police, attorneys for ex-officers respond to video of inmate beating (with video)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
The police beating case of Adam Tatum took place on June 14th, 2012 at the Salvation Army McCallie on Avenue. Chattanooga Police Officers were responding to an disorderly call when Adam Tatum who was housed there where he is was kicking the door of a control room where staff member were inside.

This video was just release on February 27, 2013 by Adam Tatum's attorney Rubin Flores shows former Officers Sean Emmer and Adam Cooley ruthlessly beating Tatum.

Video here www.timesfreepress.com...

This morning Chattanooga Police Chief Bobby Dodds responds the incident to a news conference about the inappropriate conduct of the former officers.

Video here www.timesfreepress.com...

Chattanooga Police Chief Bobby Dodd called the police beating of federal inmate Adam Tatum one of the worst cases he has seen in his 25-year career. “Unfortunately we’re in a situation, in an occupation that’s very volatile, sometimes,” Dodd said in a news conference this morning. “Sometimes split-second decisions can end your career and actually put you in jail. “But our department, the city of Chattanooga, Chattanooga Police Department, we do not condone this activity. Nor will it be tolerated.”

Again and again and again, these type of officers loose their cool in a heated situation and use unjustified judgement on the American people. I grew up in the City of Chattanooga and I looked up to the police department there because I always thought they were the best police department in the world and grandfather was one of the first African-American police officers who was ever employed by that department.

But in today's world we see this happen more and more often. These officers use verbal commands to order the subject to put his hands behind his back but he refuses to do so and these officer didn't even use proper procedures make the arrest. In my opinion I don't even think they were even aware they were under surveillance.

Honestly, this is sad and awful and it will continue to happen until somebody will step in and stop it. ( ya ok..)

Members what is your input on this?

To read the full story please visit here www.timesfreepress.com...

edit on 28-2-2013 by sylent6 because: video problems

edit on 28-2-2013 by sylent6 because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-2-2013 by sylent6 because: corrections

edit on 28-2-2013 by sylent6 because: clean up

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Of course you will member say he was avoiding arrest...etc. These are the same members who will scream about bad police etc.

The right wingers I mean, the ones who see another bad black man and see nothing wrong with their tactics. The hypocrites.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Ya well you know all we can do is talk about and see it happen. It isn't like we can do anything about it but we can sure talk about it.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I'll have to side with the victim in this case. He stood by his word to the end once he said "You don't talk to me like that". I don't know what happened before that, but even if he threw some punches, you have to draw the line here. He really wasn't resisting or anything, he just wasn't "following their commands". He didn't assault any cops or anything like that. The beating this guy got was way overkill. It was like Rodney King for only "disturbing the peace". That beating was way overkill.

Considering no one was injured except the victim, you really have to draw the line here. There isn't really anything any of "us" can do about it, but I'd be the first to admit that America isn't what they teach you it is in back in grade and high school. This place is straight ludicrous.

In short, since he was the only one injured, this beating is simply rediculous.

Oh, shhh... I thought the beating was over!!! The beating was still in progress as I was typing!! So brutal!!! The sheer brutality... almost as brutal as the aliens, but not quite there yet...

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by sylent6

Man did this guy get beat enough. I think there may have been room for just one more bruise. This reminded me of the Rodney King beating. I sure am glad these officers got terminated.I just couldn't get over the officer that came in and instantly tazed him he should have got a reprimand for that.

Cops always think they are above the law. They can run stop signs, turn without signaling and never have to worry about getting busted. Although there are some real nice upstanding cops out there I know because I have met some real good ones.
edit on 28-2-2013 by enament because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by enament

I watched this video over and over and see that the asp was so ineffective that they continue to strike him without in effect to this person. Ok, now the damage is done just roll him over and cuff him but really got to be is towards the end of the video you can see a third officer straddles on top of him and beat him like he was in a ufc match. I was in shock when i saw this.

And again the grand jury and the district attorney's office turns a blind eye like nothing happens. I bet you this, the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation and the FBI will charge these two men if they see fit. But will it happen, don't know but I'm sure someone will get a slap on the wrist.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by MegaCurious

And these officers excuse will say, "he resisted us" "we gave him verbal commands and he kick towards us". If these

I know this Department very well and when hear Chief Dodds say this..

“But our department, the city of Chattanooga, Chattanooga Police Department, we do not condone this activity. Nor will it be tolerated.”

Oh yes they do. For many years these officer take some of these detainees in the backwoods and beat them and abuse them. This department as cover a lot of things in the past and I have witness personally and very aware of what they normally do. But this was caught on camera and now they finally been exposed and the Chief wants to cover himself and not to want to investigate this.

The City of Chattanooga Counsel will pursue this and I hope the Chief looses his job because he has cover up a lot of things and the Chief before him too.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Definitely overkill...Bloody Hell if I were being beaten like
that I would be afraid to roll over. Once you're in prone
position you have no idea what's coming especially after
the physical damages the suspect has already ensued.

Also if I counted right why would you need 17 + officers for
1 victim that is not armed & 2 officers beating the hell out of him
when he's already down & look how long they were beating him...
seems like a rally show of power because NOT one honest person
tried to intervene.

Cheers
Ektar

edit on 28-2-2013 by Ektar because: Left something out...

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Ektar

Thats because every officer working in Chattanooga responded to that call that officers need assistance. As you can see, all of those men didn't want no part of that.

I'm sure the citizens of the city will cause a uproar over this and they will. Me being a native there, I hope these officers will do some time and more. But we will have to wait to see what will happen in the coming months. These officers are known to shoot young black men there. I'm not making these one of those threads but, history will show that this department is known for that.

Chief Dodds, you fired!!!! Shame on you!!!

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
With you talking about the backwoods...that brings back terrible memories
as a kid & hearing about the "Coon Hunts or Spook Hunts". From what I was
told...at midnight they would take & release a black prisoner into the the woods
& he had an allotted amount of time to escape & then the police unit + whoever
would then hunt them down & kill them.

Cheers
Ektar

Yes I was born & raised in TN
edit on 28-2-2013 by Ektar because: Needed to add...

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Ektar

Yea we both know that story. I will keep an update as this story develops more

top topics

join