It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Self-promoting music on youtube. Tell me what you think, or not.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
So I make some music from time to time. I´m not in a band, I "compose" my tunes solo. They are often a little melancholy or sound kinda sad but with,,hmm, joy in it?

This song is from a project I started a while ago and never finnished. It was supposed to consist of, maybe, 7 songs. All done in the same manner and have the same soundscape.

Here it is.

At the right (if you click on it to listen/see it on youtubes site) you can see links to my other songs labeld "Robert - track 1" thru 8

A little technical information for you who are interested.

The song I linked to was made in the following way. I have a Yamaha PSR-75 (a toy keyboard). I sampled some sounds from it to a Akai S3000xl and processed the samples with the akai´s internal EQ, effect, etc.

I then record the seperate tracks with a MIDI keyboard to a hardware sequencer, in this case a Roland MC 50.

The sound goes through a Tascam M-224 mixer, and I adjust the peak levels on each track to distort just right, so that for example the "piano" sounds like a distorted bass, the clav. sounds like a electric guitar etc.

I run some external hardware efx like reverb and delay.

I then record everything on cassette tape directly. The grittier the better!

Here is the first one from the other project I mentioned above. It´s more of a melancholy/jazz "album"

This is always my proccess and this is what I am comfortable doing. I have tried software and digital stuff but in my opinion it is to boring and sounds to clean. Analog is organic and the souns moves in unpredictable ways.

If you want to comment, please do. And if you don`t thats cool too!

Also, I would´like to add that I think that music and art should be free. I therefore see no problem at all if somone used my music in movies like in school project or somethin, whatever. As long as I get some kind of creds like a mentioning or something that is fine
PM if this would be of interest and I will hook you up with my tunes. (I got plenty, and can make more, free of charge hehe)

Peace
edit on 28-2-2013 by Nettlas because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Hey man, I'm a musician also.

I really like the first one (Half way through)

The "gritty effect" is actually pretty nice for us folks who can remember tapes.

Sharing this with some friends, I have to say what makes the first song so far is that it is completely instrumental - Please don't add lyrics, it doesn't need it!

Great stuff, if I was a director of a movie I'd hire ya.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
The second one is also equally as awesome.

Digging the usage of the horn a lot.

Keep up the great work.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Nettlas

I love it!!! This kind of music is right up my alley, i'm gonna see if i can convert it on to my ipod- very good- keep doin what your doin, that's so awesome!

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

Thanks man! I`m glad you liked it! Dirty tape sound is pretty and makes all music better

I`m not a singer, nor do I wan`t my music to have vocals. The first song I linked to has a little voicing, but that is as far as I will go regarding vocals. And like you (I presume) like instrumental music more

All songs on the other project is heavy on the horns. They sounded great through my Fostex 3180 spring reverb, but I don´t have that anymore

Cool that you shared the tunes
Thanks.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Starsuckers

Thanks. Ride on man, do what you wan´t it. I would love to know that someone in the world is listening on my music on his/her ipod. Souch a class of technology, tape vs ipod.

Hope you succed on converting them, otherwise just PM me and you can get the Wav or mp3 file from me in some way.

And also, there is 7 more tunes on youtube

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Yeah, we are seriously impressed here. Checking out your other songs.

soundcloud.com...

^ Here is some of my stuff, just my acoustic + laptop microphone.. Gives off a cool background sound though.

Would like to possibly do some light guitar lead over some of your tunes, I'll give it a try and record over it.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Hey man, I really like your stuff so far, allthough I have only listen to the first two so far. But I get this kinda Joze Gonzalezibes over it, but instrumental! I love Joze. I love the ambiance sound the mic picks up, like the car in the begining of the second track, lovely.

Go ahead man, lay some guitar over it if you wan´t. I would like to hear how it turns out!!

Here you have my soundcloud account. soundcloud.com...-sputnik

If the link doesn´t work my nick at sound cloud is Le Sputnik

I have some other stuff there too, like some made in reason a couple of years ago (the 3 or 4 first songs) and also alot of experimental stuff.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   

This song bu Joze was the one the...Crossed..my mind

Again, I like your stuff.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   

edit on 28-2-2013 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Rikku

Yeah, that idiot is me, so you did the right thing to not listen!

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
i like it,
specially first one

top topics

join