Two rats, thousands of miles apart, cooperate telepathically via brain implant

page: 1

join

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Story:
Two rats, thousands of miles apart, cooperate telepathically via brain implant

Well, this is cool -- and maybe a little scary. Scientists have electronically linked two lab rats thousands of miles away, and had one of the rats (the "leader rat") send a brain signal to the other to make the second rat do a task.

The word "telepathically" was used in the article title, but that seems to be a bit misleading, considering the rats had electrodes in their brains carrying the signals.

Scientist say this shows that the mammal brain can respond in a specifically controlled manner to an electronic stimulus. That may sound a little obvious (I mean, an electrical signal to the brain can make a person twitch and such), but in this case, it seems the "follower rat" was doing almost what the leader rat wanted him to do (at least that's what it seems to me).

edit on 2/28/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

but in this case, it seems the "follower rat" was doing almost what the leader rat wanted him to do (at least that's what it seems to me).
Yes. That's how they were trained as part of the experiment. The follower did not read the leader's mind, it executed a conditioned response. Like Pavlov's dogs but with another rat providing the "bell".

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

I have more respect for rats now.......They actually need a chip in their brain to do what others tell them!

Humans just do what the master says, no questions asked.....

To play devils advocate here, how do they know the one rat is actually giving the "order" to the other rat? How many attempts were made to prove this? I personally don't believe it, but it's not too far off from human testing I am sure!!

Those who don't follow, WILL soon enough.....Coming to a Dr. near you......

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

but in this case, it seems the "follower rat" was doing almost what the leader rat wanted him to do (at least that's what it seems to me).
Yes. That's how they were trained as part of the experiment. The follower did not read the leader's mind, it executed a conditioned response. Like Pavlov's dogs but with another rat providing the "bell".

Yeah -- I think you're right.

Reading the story in that light, it does seem that the follower rat was just doing something to get rewarded after feeling a specific "tingle" in its head. It's not as if the thought was there, but just a stimulus.

Still that stimulus came as an electrical signal from the brain of another animal.

edit on 2/28/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Pavlov light if you will.

I'd like to know who funded the research. And why.

That answer, in itself, would be worthy of it's own topic I think.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I read the title of the thread and I thought this was going to be a story about bush and cheney.

but seriously this makes me wonder how long the government has known about this and done it`s own testing with this? if brazil has just discovered this then i`m sure the U.S. government has known about this for a long time. I wonder how long it will be before people are being implanted with things like this? or maybe it`s already happening?

Interesting and scary stuff this is.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
The OP makes me think and write those things:

"Resistance is futile !"

The next experiments could be on "entanglement" !

We also know that real twins are "connected" some way. . .

Blue skies.

new topics
top topics

join