Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Christians/Muslims etc - Why do you believe that your God has more legitimacy than mine?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by volafox

Yggdrasil?

The current fad, aka Abrahamic faith, will be like Greek and Norse mythology in few hundred years. All religion will diminish or change.

I think the longest living with a decent amount of members is Hinduism... and even that i don't think was originally a religion.. now there is so many sects of it or rather, so many gods that they pray to..

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

I think that Friedrich Nietzsche would disagree with you. He postulated that if God is dead then absolute truth and morality must be dead also. It is like throwing God off a bridge but first picking his pockets to see what we can keep for our betterment. That cannot be the case. If we remove God then we must also remove the attributes that he embodies.

So without God there can be no absolute truth or morality other than 7 billion personal versions of it.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by micmerci

I think that Friedrich Nietzsche would disagree with you. He postulated that if God is dead then absolute truth and morality must be dead also. It is like throwing God off a bridge but first picking his pockets to see what we can keep for our betterment. That cannot be the case. If we remove God then we must also remove the attributes that he embodies.

So without God there can be no absolute truth or morality other than 7 billion personal versions of it.

If you compare Buddhist, who doesn't have any holy book or any instruction from Buddha, other than live a life without materialistic lust, to a christian, how would that work?

Christians done more atrocities then Buddhist, yet there is no such instruction for Buddhist to not steal..

Even if you go to some secluded place in the earth where "the word of god" has not spread(if there is any left) and asked a native if stealing is wrong, he probably say yes.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by HomoSapiensSapiens

All-Powerful Odin is the first creator is the God of Jesus, the God of Moses and Abraham and Mohammad. Yahowah the Lord, Allah they are all many names for the almighty God.
the language of Jesus was Aramaic and Ĕlāhā or ˀAlâhâ or Ālōho they are words which Jesus would use to refer to the almighty God. and Allah has also Aramaic roots. there is only one God in this world.

Say, "O People of the Scripture (Christians and Jews), come to a word that is equitable between us and you - that we will not worship except Allah and not associate anything with Him and not take one another as lords instead of Allah ." But if they turn away, then say, "Bear witness that we are Muslims [submitting to Allah]." Quran 3::64
edit on 28-2-2013 by maes2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

There is no god given right. Its common sense learned from experience and taught to us by people who had t experienced(parents etc). Its quite sad to think that someone would need a book to tell them stealing is wrong, killing is wrong...

so my question to this.. common sense learned from experience... Why has society as a whole lost its morals and the decay of society is increasing much faster the futher from God we go...
if you think back it was not that long ago that children were allowed to pray in school. God was talked of openly. You were allowed to say Merry Christmas, during primetime hours the programing was kid friendly. The ACLU and a bunch of others have been pushing God into a box that needs to be locked and sealed not to be seen.....

Now most marriages dont stay together,,, we have 12-13 year old children having sex thinking it is normal.. you cant turn around without finding someone in some sort of scandal. Our chlidrens mentors or "heros" are sports, actors, or other famous people that show a total lack of moral, or conviction in anything. but hey they are just using thier common sense learned from experience.
not picking or fighting just showing that without God the thing people use is how it makes them feel versus good or bad.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by tallon13

And your only solution is because we dragged further way from god?

What about women getting more rights, and not stay trapped as house wives, they don;t have to fear divorce as the "end all".. they can be independent now a days. Which also falls into divorce rates and single parent family. Money rules over anything, that's how greed and compassion is lost(Vatican is one of the richest organization in the world).

The world changed, Technologies were invented, Unprovable things were dismissed, mysterious things were shed light.. quality of life improved, entitlement grew, free speech, acceptance of different sexuality.

The things i listed have bad and good things in it, which affects us how we r today.

Heck, 2000-3000 year sago, "god" was used the same way by the elite.. to control, manipulate, impose a social order.. what you see is people breaking away from it.

People are going to kill, steal, murder, whether there is a god or not.
edit on 2/28/2013 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Why would you think me daft for putting my faith in Odin?

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
adj

I might think you a bit daft for putting your faith in Odin, but whatever -- it's just as legitimate as my faith in Christ.

My friend, do you not sense a bit of ... nuance ... in that sentence? Daft legitimacy?

OP, I don't know what you believe about Odin, but I do know that some respectable people did have him as their god, or perhaps him as Hermes. If you haven't read Tom Wolfe's A Man in Full, you might like it.

I'm Irish. In my remote ancestors' religion, we kicked the gods' butts, took over the land from them and consigned the gods to the other world. How cool is that? I don't share my ancestors' religion(s), but I respect my ancestors. If you worship Odin, you'll get no laughs from me.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

you claim that you have a different God. Odin. describe your God a little please.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

And your only solution is because we dragged further way from god?
[m

Yes I think going further from God has more to do with the decay than the processes listed above...
Now dont get me wrong I do believe that a ton of churches not just the vatican are corrupt and greedy... but that is just furthering my point they have moved from God. there is a huge difference between the church... Religion... and belief in God. it is God that is needed not church not religion.

the problem is all of these things are contaminated by man. and power corrupts..
Why is it all of a sudden women are free and no longer trapped by marriage.... dont they have a choice on getting married these days? Why dont people strive to stay married now... because it no longer feels good?
why not fight for a win...
sure there are a ton of issues then and now... more kids are raised without a father in thier life than ever before... again i feel this is a sympton of living for ourselves without God.

Just my humble opinion

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by eight bits
adj

I might think you a bit daft for putting your faith in Odin, but whatever -- it's just as legitimate as my faith in Christ.

My friend, do you not sense a bit of ... nuance ... in that sentence? Daft legitimacy?

Perhaps I phrased it poorly -- I think that anyone's right to believe in anything (or nothing, for that matter) is no less legitimate than mine. Just because I wouldn't believe in something doesn't mean I think that's a reasonable reason for anyone else not to believe.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

what is Asgard, Sleipnir, Gungnir ? I can not handle to realize it simply.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   

you have a complicated faith. I do not want to annoy you. I do not believe in converting anyone to anything.
I do not know what I should interpret from your silence.
what does sapien mean ?
edit on 28-2-2013 by maes2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Is my Avatar frightening !

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
The squeaky wheel gets the grease, whoever can garner the most public attention, for their god, has the most legitimate god.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Are they suddenly supposed to agree that they're wrong and change religions? What kinda question is that?

This is a troll thread

Nothing to see here

Please move along
edit on 28-2-2013 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomoSapiensSapiens
So, Christians believe in God, the Trinity; Muslims in Allah.

However, if I were to tell such Christians and Muslims that I believed in All-Powerful Odin, I would be ridiculed and laughed at.

I ask this: why? Why is it that you believe that your God has more legitimacy than mine?

Is this not double standards of some kind?

Dear HomoSapiensSapiens,

I read some of the answers you got. Firstly, you began with a stereotype and it turned out to be wrong, many Christians told you they would not laugh at you. That means your original premise was wrong. Bigoted statements usually turn out wrong. Secondly, what makes a belief legitimate? 2000 years ago the Christian church told people that one day the bible would be spread throughout the whole world and that once that happened people would leave the church, that there would be a great falling away. It also said that the Jews would return to Israel. Pretty good guesses and they proved true. What did Odin get right?

Lets have a real conversation. What is your real problem with believers? You don't believe in God then don't. You want to believe in Odin then do so. You failed to notice something, you don't see Christians and Muslims arguing with each other much on this site for a reason. It came out recently that only 20% of Americans actually attend church on a regular basis. It is not that high in Europe. Non-believers will get their wish, Christianity will die. It is being killed by people who are false prophets (like Benny Hinn) and from without because of persecution because people believe they have moved beyond religion. Funny, the bible predicted this would happen 2000 years ago.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   

I am Christian and I say believe in whatever god(s) you want. You can believe yours is more powerful, I can believe mine is more powerful, we can agree to disagree and move on to the next subject. Nobody has to ridicule or look down upon anyone. We can debate about it but if you truly believe one thing and I truly believe something different I think the debate would just be to better understand each other's inner workings and not to try to change each other's convictions.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by HomoSapiensSapiens
So, Christians believe in God, the Trinity; Muslims in Allah.

However, if I were to tell such Christians and Muslims that I believed in All-Powerful Odin, I would be ridiculed and laughed at.

I ask this: why? Why is it that you believe that your God has more legitimacy than mine?

Is this not double standards of some kind?

Well you laugh and ridicule us.
To be honest believe what you want, you imply the double standard by your post

Good luck with Odin

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Even ask yourself the simple question. What and Who is God?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join