It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians/Muslims etc - Why do you believe that your God has more legitimacy than mine?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
So, Christians believe in God, the Trinity; Muslims in Allah.

However, if I were to tell such Christians and Muslims that I believed in All-Powerful Odin, I would be ridiculed and laughed at.

I ask this: why? Why is it that you believe that your God has more legitimacy than mine?

Is this not double standards of some kind?

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Your god has less worshipers and therefore isn't as mighty and powerful ha

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SupersonicSerpent

Ergo, Christianity is the true religion because it has the most followers?

edit on 2/28/2013 by HomoSapiensSapiens because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomoSapiensSapiens
However, if I were to tell such Christians and Muslims that I believed in All-Powerful Odin, I would be ridiculed and laughed at.

I've known of a few of you Asatru types. I think a Judeo-Christian/Muslim would be a fool to mock one.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Simple really let me introduce you to spitting image.

To be fair no one has any idea If he/she/it exists and If he/she/it does we will never understand him/she/it so I think it is just more divisions to keep the human race from progressing.
edit on 28-2-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by HomoSapiensSapiens

It's quite simple really. These religions you speak of constantly preach that their religion is the true one. And any deviation from that religion is punishable by an eternity in hell. Simple as that. Take buddhism for example that preaches that religion does not matter if it brings about good action in ones life. They (the buddhists) are not apprehensive toward any people because of their religion.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Simple question yet so many complex answers and problems in the name of religion
S&F for the question. If and only IF many could understand the answer to the question which could definitely eliminate tonnes of problems around the world

edit on 28-2-2013 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

I ask this: why? Why is it that you believe that your God has more legitimacy than mine?

I would not laugh at you if you were truly a follower of Odin and not just declaring it in an attempt to prove a point. I would honestly have more respect for a person who declared their true belief (or lack thereof) even in the face of certain criticism from self righteous people who label themselves improperly as (fill in the blank).

I may not have the same view as you but I would attempt to engage you in intelligent debate/ inquiry concerning your dogma. I would also offer my beliefs in rebuttal without any threat of eternal damnation if you persist to disagree.

My stepson has recently declared that he is now an atheist. Although I do not agree with his worldview, I have more respect for him now for stating where he truly stands instead of living in a constant state of cognitive dissonance.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Why is it that you believe that your God has more legitimacy than mine?

Because you are not me?

Why would anyone assume that someone else's beliefs have more legitimacy than their own? That's something of a nonsensical question.

If, on the other hand, you asked whether your having a belief is as legitimate as mine is, I, as an orthodox Christian, would say "sure, why not? You're as entitled to your beliefs as I am." I might think you a bit daft for putting your faith in Odin, but whatever -- it's just as legitimate as my faith in Christ.
edit on 28-2-2013 by adjensen because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I am a christian and I would hope that no one would ridicule or laugh at you for your beliefs, although I know it happens. I would dare say that many of those that would do so may be christian only in them saying so, but not in the born again, Christ is Lord of my life sense.

That being said, truth is not relative. What is true for you, may not be true for me, is just not an accurate saying. What if you thought that it was true that stealing was wrong. I personally don't think it is, so I come in and rob you blind. All of your electronics and precious family heirlooms now belong to me. Am I wrong for what I did? You may think so, but I don't because what is wrong for you, is not wrong for me. See what I am saying? There has to be an absolute truth, and the fact of the matter is that stealing is wrong. Our entire law system is built on this fact. I think most humans know right from wrong because of the truth that God has given us. To not acknowledge that truth, I fear is doing our own selves a big disservice, because it not only matters in the material, but also in our spiritual lives.

Why do I think that Jesus is Lord and the God of the Hebrews is the One True God? Well, that is complicated, but I know what he has done for someone as undeserving as me. I also see the truth in His word every time I read it. Then there are the undeniable facts such as all of the Old Testament prophecies that Christ fulfilled at a 1 in 10 to the 157th power chance.

This is what that looks like:
1 out of 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,00 0,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

Prophecies Fulfilled

So if you told me your belief, I would not ridicule you, but ask you why you believe the way you do. We may have similar beliefs to be honest, I don't know. They may be on extreme ends of the spectrum. But the truth is that there is an absolute truth, and both cannot be so.

I know that being a Christian is not so popular on this board and I will probably get flamed for my thoughts. The ridicule goes both ways I am afraid. So even if we are so different in our beliefs OP, we share a common problem and I understand you. I didn't write this response to pressure you into becoming a christian, only to let you know where I am coming from as such.

~OkieDokie

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

It's a double standard to point out a double standard by committing a double standard.

The answer to your question would be the exact same if they asked it to you. Why do you think Odin is more legitimate than theirs?

Of course you probably don't believe in Odin, and are instead attempting to foster ridicule and laughter at the believers, thereby committing yet another double-standard.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Ego. It is. Human mental illness that has no cure. A meme virus of the human thought process. Can induce curses of violence in particular circumstances.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Why is it that you believe that your God has more legitimacy than mine?

I don't, my belief has nothing to do with you, just as your belief has nothing to do with me.

Given that no-one has ever acquired the proof necessary to authenticate the reality of [insert God of choice]. The subject remains a personal belief for every individual currently breathing.

To say otherwise is akin to delusion and verification of brainwashing.

If you believe in God, that's great. If you do not believe in God, that's great.

Or, continue to be divided over trivial and irrelevant things, so we may be more easily controlled and conquered - as is currently the case.

Love more than Hate, give more than take.......does it really take [insert God of choice] for that to make sense?

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Where is there any shred of proof there is any god at all??

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by OkieDokie
I am a christian and I would hope that no one would ridicule or laugh at you for your beliefs, although I know it happens. I would dare say that many of those that would do so may be christian only in them saying so, but not in the born again, Christ is Lord of my life sense.

That being said, truth is not relative. What is true for you, may not be true for me, is just not an accurate saying. What if you thought that it was true that stealing was wrong. I personally don't think it is, so I come in and rob you blind. All of your electronics and precious family heirlooms now belong to me. Am I wrong for what I did? You may think so, but I don't because what is wrong for you, is not wrong for me. See what I am saying? There has to be an absolute truth, and the fact of the matter is that stealing is wrong. Our entire law system is built on this fact. I think most humans know right from wrong because of the truth that God has given us. To not acknowledge that truth, I fear is doing our own selves a big disservice, because it not only matters in the material, but also in our spiritual lives.

Why do I think that Jesus is Lord and the God of the Hebrews is the One True God? Well, that is complicated, but I know what he has done for someone as undeserving as me. I also see the truth in His word every time I read it. Then there are the undeniable facts such as all of the Old Testament prophecies that Christ fulfilled at a 1 in 10 to the 157th power chance.

This is what that looks like:
1 out of 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,00 0,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

Prophecies Fulfilled

So if you told me your belief, I would not ridicule you, but ask you why you believe the way you do. We may have similar beliefs to be honest, I don't know. They may be on extreme ends of the spectrum. But the truth is that there is an absolute truth, and both cannot be so.

I know that being a Christian is not so popular on this board and I will probably get flamed for my thoughts. The ridicule goes both ways I am afraid. So even if we are so different in our beliefs OP, we share a common problem and I understand you. I didn't write this response to pressure you into becoming a christian, only to let you know where I am coming from as such.

~OkieDokie

You can not get divine wisdom from reading what has been written from such books of such oldness, nor truth.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

One word Kittens

jk btw.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   

If you are being laughed at for the belief I am sorry. That is not really what a christian is supposed to try and relay. Most people really struggle to communicate. it is not just a religious thing, that just gets in the limelight more. Personally I would want to introduce you to Christ, because I would want you to feel the love he has for you.. most people assume the christian message is hell and brimstone... that is just not the case...it is a labor in love. that is all He created you He wants you to know Him...
so the ridicule I am sorry about. the introduction I am hoping you get one day soon.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
The abrehamic god of the jews, christians, and muslims is just the newest fad in a long line of deities that trace back to the very beginnings of mankind's imagination. Odin is a powerful figure who hung on a tree for three days, sacrificing one eye so he could see the future, thus gaining all knowing status. He is the Allfather, keeper of Asgard, and protector of the Worldtree. ( know that name, just can't spell it!!) If one were to do a little digging into the less than pretty side of christianity they would find the Gnostic side.. the side that says the being who created the material universe isn't the Eternal One but Yaweh, the Demiurge. He is the one that is fallen, and Lucifer came to open the eyes of mortals with the fruit of knowledge so they could find a way out of material slavery. He also returned in the soul of a child born out of wedlock to a teenage mother... go figure. Every religion has its drama, therefore there is no such thing as one god being 'better' than another. There is, however, a contest on who has better followers, I believe.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
All religions have come from ONE place. There were many religions before Muslim and Christianity, and much more afterwards. They were changed and altered to keep people divided from each other and constant conflict.

Christianity has proven to be a MOCK religion set out by greedy men to keep people focused on their religions rather than what is going on behind the veil.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by OkieDokie

What if you thought that it was true that stealing was wrong. I personally don't think it is, so I come in and rob you blind. All of your electronics and precious family heirlooms now belong to me. Am I wrong for what I did? You may think so, but I don't because what is wrong for you, is not wrong for me. See what I am saying?

Stealing is wrong. How do you know? when someone else steals from you. You would know not to do that because the person you steal from would feel the same way.

There has to be an absolute truth, and the fact of the matter is that stealing is wrong. Our entire law system is built on this fact. I think most humans know right from wrong because of the truth that God has given us.

There is no god given right. Its common sense learned from experience and taught to us by people who had t experienced(parents etc). Its quite sad to think that someone would need a book to tell them stealing is wrong, killing is wrong...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join