It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sequestration will hit Arlington National Cemetery!?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
This is just WRONG. President Barack Obama, House Speaker Boehner and Senate Leader Reid made this nightmare. They conspired to write this nightmare and TARGET these cuts as they have. What is getting cut is by no means ...accidental or random. I don't claim to understand the logic to much of it, but accidental it isn't.

The cuts to the military budget scheduled to take effect for Friday can seem abstract — or even, sometimes, breathless. But one impact will be a somber one: The cuts will mean delays for veteran funerals at Arlington National Cemetery.

There’s currently an average of 31 funerals a day at Arlington, the nation’s most prestigious resting place for war veterans. But the Army expects that under the automatic budget cuts known as sequestration, that average will drop to 24. As first tweeted by CNN’s Barbara Starr, that works out to 160 fewer funerals every month.

There is NO EXCUSE for this. These are our Veterans. The men who gave all they had to give, short of their very lives...and they were willing to give that TOO if it had been demanded of them. Now they are repaid with this disrespect for BUDGET reasons??

Veterans of older conflicts are likely to experience longer wait times. Those currently range from 30 days for burials without honors, to three months for full honors. After burying those killed in action, others scheduled to be interred will do so on a first-come-first-served basis.
Source

It's getting to where I don't blame anyone for not wanting to serve their nation right now and that HURTS to say coming from a family rich in military tradition. Serving today just equals being treated like crap and even in death, apparently, Uncle Sam sticks it to the little guy....one last time.
How shameful.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
OR!!! They could just cancel that Conference in Vegas! Ya think?

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
This makes me ill. Seriously.
What the heck has happened to this country?
We hit our peak in the 1980's and it's been down hill since then.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Um, aren't we in a recovery? That's what Obama tells us.

Yet a 2.3% cut in the increase to the "budget" will destroy America, kill tiny kittens, make unicorns cry, and cause the stars to implode into a giant cataclysmic fire from the depths of hell.

That's right. If the sequester happens, Flinky the kitten will die.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I say stack 'em up on the front lawn of the White House...let Obummer decide what to do with them.

This sucks...the last Honor we can give our Brave Veterans, now in danger of being gone....

How sad these days are....

Des

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

I tell ya this crap is getting old. Everyday the people are being beat down more and more. The camels back is broken folks.

Personally, Obama, Boehner, Reid and the whole lot of them could start by cutting out any vacations, holidays for themselves, family and friends. That is just a start!

edit on 2/28/2013 by restlessinMT because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

This is pure BS! What really pisses me off is that instead of meeting with congress to fix these problems, Obama is running around the country giving speeches on gun control and taking vacations on our dime. If we just cut off all of the ridiculous perks that Obama and Princess Michelle receive we could pay for a lot of things.

Last year, while taxpayers spent $1.4 billion dollars on staffing, housing, flying and entertaining President Obama and his family, taxpayers across the pond only spent $57.8 million on the royal family, notes The Daily Caller.
Abuse of Funds

This sequestration is intentional IMO. I think Obama is intentionally hurting the people of this country to twist arms and get the GOP to bend on his desire to raise taxes. He wants to raise taxes on people he claims are "the wealthiest among us" while he lives like he's auditioning for an episode of Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.

This is Chicago strong-arm politics on full display and we're all on the receiving end.

I’ll tell you what it’s NOT – it’s definitely NOT LEADERSHIP!

edit on 28-2-2013 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
This makes me ill. Seriously.
What the heck has happened to this country?
We hit our peak in the 1980's and it's been down hill since then.

People aren't gathering in D.C. in droves and demanding change. Therefore, they think they can do whatever they want..... and to be completely honest, they can do whatever they want.

Oh snap American Ido....

MOTF!

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
No more puppies or kittens either.....

I feel like they are just putting the things that will get the most emotional outrage on the chopping block for political gain. I am more numb to it after weeks of "oh-no's everything will go away" mostly because I don't believe it.

ETA...Beezer had the same slant and I just saw it..

edit on 2/28/2013 by howmuch4another because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by Destinyone

This is the latest and worst outrage but it's been a problem for some time now. When my Father died a couple years ago, he passed as a highly decorated veteran of the Vietnam War. The National Cemetery here had room for him but only as a Cremation and I was told that was a limited thing for time. It wouldn't be long before that was out of room as well. No consideration, apparently, to expanding or coming up with other options when that is exhausted.

I don't blame the folks at the Cemetery either. Not one bit. The men running the facility were priceless and just invaluable for helping me through a process I had no mental strength at the time to face. The problem comes from the top down, eh?

Fortunately, my father had wished cremation for himself, so seeing him laid to rest with the Honors he earned wasn't an insult for the way it was done. It just as easily could have been though, given that it wasn't our choice to make if we wanted him laid to rest in that place of Honor.

link   
If our country is so bad off that we can`t even manage to figure out a way to afford to bury our dead warriors then it might be time to turn the lights off and have a going out of business sale.
we had a good run 200+ years but it looks like this experiment of a democratic capitalist system has failed miserably,last one out turn off the lights please.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Tardacus

If our country is so bad off that we can`t even manage to figure out a way to afford to bury our dead warriors then it might be time to turn the lights off and have a going out of business sale.

How about we simply pry the checkbook away from the adolescent weasels in DC who parade around in suit and tie acting as if they have some sense? We all know they’re insane and/or crooked as hell! Why do we allow them to write checks from our account anymore?

Who voted for this?? Raise your hand and be recognized for YOU are to blame for what is to come!

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

That was actually tried. The Secret Service told everyone there that there was a bomb threat and they would have to leave.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by restlessinMT

and golf trips...

and bridges to nowhere in home districts....or whatever else the US citizens don't need but must pick up the tab for.....

and healthcare and pensions the rest of us will never see....

and cushy jobs as lobbyists when they retire after 6 or so years....

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Tardacus

Originally posted by Tardacus
we had a good run 200+ years but it looks like this experiment of a democratic capitalist system has failed miserably,last one out turn off the lights please.

Is America dead? Is it dying? If we can't handle this, what's going to happen when we have to make 25% cuts when the "Entitlement Bubble" collapses?

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

People who haven't been taught that a little hard work and dedication goes as long of a way as you want it to in America. People who have been duped into thinking that leeching off of the governmaent is a way to survive. People who have in turn taught that to their children. Learned Helplessness. Did a thread on it in the past. It's a very real thing that people are too blinded by free stuff to see.

MOTF!

edit on 28-2-2013 by MessOnTheFED! because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec

That was actually tried. The Secret Service told everyone there that there was a bomb threat and they would have to leave.

Well thats about the time that peoples demeanor should have changed drastically.

MOTF!

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

That's what all the ammo DHS is buying up is for. The only way to bring America down is to bankrupt it. Once bankrupt, it will be chaos in the large cities.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec
reply to post by beezzer

That's what all the ammo DHS is buying up is for. The only way to bring America down is to bankrupt it. Once bankrupt, it will be chaos in the large cities.

I would normally scoff at what you're suggesting, . . . . . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . um. . . .maybe not so much any more.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

People who haven't been taught that a little hard work and dedication goes as long of a way as you want it to in America. People who have been duped into thinking that leeching off of the governmaent is a way to survive. People who have in turn taught that to their children. Learned Helplessness.

Why can’t we (all Americans) agree that we have a serious spending problem when our POTUS lives better than a king, spending over $1 BILLION on perks for himself and his family, while all of our veterans (people who have sacrificed life and limb, QUITE LITERALLY in some cases, for our country) aren’t even provided a proper burial for their sacrifice?? He wants to raise taxes AGAIN while no substantive cuts in spending are made!! Let them eat cake, right??

Why can’t we ALL see that this sequestration is intentional?? Don’t you think if Obama gave a spit about us (especially our veterans) he’d rein in AT LEAST his own personal expenditures as a show of good faith? Don’t you think he’d work with congress to cut funding to programs WE KNOW don’t work?

He doesn’t care about us!! He doesn’t care who loses their job!! Those of you who voted for him have been duped and we’re all paying for your gullibility and selfishness!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join