It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2013, a year of electronic entertainment ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Various new technologies and electronic devices are nearing for a release for end-users, consumers in this year. Let's have a thread to discuss them. Which one will flop and which will make it. And if I forgot something, please post.

Google Glass ( www.google.com... )

Release date: by the end of 2013
Price: Starting price $1,500
The price is expected to go down though. "Experts believe Google Glasses cost between $200 to $500 a pop." ( www.ibtimes.com... )

random source quote:

Glass frees the eyes as well as the hands when it comes to connecting to the Internet on the go, according to Brin.

Myo Gesture-control armband ( getmyo.com... )

Release date: Shipping late 2013
Price: $149

random source quote:

Harnessing muscular activity to provide computer input has many advantages over Kinect-like devices that use cameras or inertial sensors. A new gesture-based wireless input device that works by sensing the electrical signature of forearm contractions is now available for pre-order from a new company for $150.

Leap Motion ( www.leapmotion.com... )

Release date: Shipping the week of May 13, 2013
Price: $79.99

random source quote:

Forget mouse and keyboard. Control a PC with hand gestures.

MyCestro 3D Mouse ( www.inn-dev.com... )

Release date: scheduled in Oct/Nov 2013
Price: from $79

random source quote:

Its a 3D mouse that fits on your index finger and allows you to control your computer with hand gestures and mouse functions.

Oculus Rift ( www.oculusvr.com... )

Release date: Development Kit expected to Ship May 2013. As this is just the development kit, the 2013 probably is too soon as a end-user or consumer product for this one
Price: $300

random source quote:

A snap of the head to the left instantly shifts the perspective inside the game in the same direction.

That connection between a player’s point of view in the game and the real world makes the experience feel more natural when, say, the game character is surrounded by a group of armored knights.

Playstation 4 ( us.playstation.com... )

Release date: November 2013
Price: $429-$529 (?) ( www.computerandvideogames.com... )

random source quote:

"It is a powerful and accessible system," he said. "And it has a deep feature set to support the ongoing evolution of gaming itself."

update:

Nvidia Project Shield ( shield.nvidia.com... )

Release date: by July 2013
Price: Speculation from $200 to $250 to £350

random source quote:

An Android gaming handheld with physical controls that can also wirelessly stream PC gameplay

My comments:

I want to try compare the Myo, Leap Motion and the MyCestro 3d mouse. In my opinion Leap Motion is more interesting than the Myo, and the Myo is more interesting than the MyCestro 3d mouse.

MyCestro and the Myo requires you to wear something while you use it. In long term I can see that as a nuisance, be the item to wear as unnoticable as possible. A big plus for Leap Motion and minus for the other two.

The working area for the Leap Motion is not as good as for MyCentro and the Myo. Leap Motion is working only from this certain "fridge-sized" area, while Myo and MyCentro are connected with bluetooth, and will allow you to control your electronic devices from anywhere in range with the paired bluetooth device. For home use you could grow accustomed to your working area and be satisfied with it, but elsewhere it may be a huge limiting factor. Minus for LM and plus for the other two.

MyCentro doesn't feel as flexible as Myo when it comes to features, though the conventional touch of MyCentro could however end up being a winner, who knows. Still I place Myo higher on my list of potential succesors.

Though should the thread be titled as 2014 and not 2013, as 2014 will be the year when these devices will be put to the test in mass

edit on 28-2-2013 by inthemistandfog because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-2-2013 by inthemistandfog because: adding another gear to the list, heads up info from the three wise monkeys

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Just wait till we can get these device implanted in our heads.
I can't wait I want to be a cyberpunk

Cool gear OP I read about them all this morning oddly enough, 80 bucks for the mouseless mouse I may buy that one.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Just wait till we can get these device implanted in our heads.
I can't wait I want to be a cyberpunk

Cool gear OP I read about them all this morning oddly enough, 80 bucks for the mouseless mouse I may buy that one.

HAHA! I used to be just like that! I read Neuromancer and I wanted so badly to be able to jack in as a cyberpunk!

So I got into IT and discovered just how bad code writing can be and how many backdoors/security holes/flaws/virus' software has! And I did a complete 180 no way in hell will I be wet-wired...

I will however enjoy hacking your brain after you get your implant
hehe

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Oculus Rift is a really awesome piece of electronic from a gamers perspective, i think it's a sure winner and a must have, i can't wait to try it.

The PS4 is heading in the right direction as a powerfull consol, and Sony allways deliver in hardware, software and innovation, they have this time listened to both gamers and developers, which IMO is equel with succes.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Looking forward to Nvidia's Project Shield. Tegra 4 powered handheld that apparently lets you stream games from your Xbox/PC rather than the device doing all the grunt work.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Interesting to see how the appearance of three extreùmely large comets into our skies from March could affect electrical devices, satellite communications, the Internet, water resources, etc. Nobody is really sure as the first and third comets shall be the biggest any of us shall ever see in our lifetimes.
So, if you're into toys, make hay while the sun shines!

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
What, no Microsoft Illumiroom or next xbox??

Or what about 4k TV

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Kurokage

hheheh, indeed. xbox720 and the illumiroom should be on the list as it seems to be coming this year too. I am not a devoted follower on this stuff, but just recently this to-be-released stuff piled up so I put the thread up. 4k tv too..

edit:

I can't edit the OP anymore unfortunately. xbox720 may even be as low price as $299, but probably higher says some source..

edit on 28-2-2013 by inthemistandfog because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
With all these stuffs we should also find stuff to heal our eyesight, as I think all these new technologies there will be a lot more people with Myopia.
edit on 28-2-2013 by Jauk3 because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-2-2013 by Jauk3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
My bet is on Oculus Rift being the biggest gamechanger. It is about time proper virtual reality reaches the masses. If they can pull it off, and so far it seems they can, then the Rift not be just a gadget but a birth of a new medium, one worthy of 21st century.

The Leap also looks good, and I have ordered one thats due in May.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
We XBOX360 users are waiting for the final release date for the next XBOX (probably just called XBOX) and if the rumours can be trusted (fingers crossed) it will be out in a few months time (long before the PS4).
Microsoft say Kinnect 2 will be an exponential improvement on the previous iteration. It can be used for much finer gesture based controls than Kinnect 1 was and will have less lag time and also be able to track up to 6 users at a time. How they all fit in the same room is a question most people will ask. The blooper youtube vids of six people waving their arms around in an enclosed space and smacking each other in the face will be very entertaining.

new topics

top topics

join