It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kentucky Senate Overwhelming Passes Bill Prohibiting Federal Gun Laws

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I'm glad to be a resident of this state and this is a nice big middle finger right at this idiotic legislation.

The state Senate on Monday overwhelmingly passed a nullification bill that would prohibit Kentucky from enforcing new federal gun control laws if they’re enacted, despite concerns about the bill’s constitutionality.

The vote was 34-3. Three of the Senate’s 14 Democrats voted no, stating that the measure would be trumped by the U.S. Constitution’s Supremacy Clause.

The story goes on with

The one-page bill deems unenforceable federal bans on gun ownership and registration. It specifically mentions semiautomatic firearms and their magazines.

The bill applies to federal laws as well as federal rules, regulations and orders.

“A friend of mine said to me, ‘Would you be willing to give up a little bit to be safer?’” said Sen. Ray S. Jones II, D-Pikeville, before he voted yes on the bill. “My answer to that is very simple. No I will not.”

Do you all agree that this is the type of legislation needed in all states or do you think it's a flimsy attempt at posturing?

Full Story Here

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by KILL_DOGG

God Bless The Commonwealth ( Ky Resident). This is our second step.We passed a bill that prohibited cities from enacting any gun bans against state laws, now there is some foward thinking.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Yep its good to live in the Common Wealth. Don't # with our Basketball and our Guns!!

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by skorpius

You forgot moonshine! Kentucky has the best moonshine!

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by skorpius

For basketball......

Louisville number 10 in the nation number 2 in the state.

For guns I always post this.

If you want them come try to take them.

Knob Creek KY.

Don't forget "Ky women, she shines in her own kind of light"

edit on 28-2-2013 by rockymcgilicutty because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Very happy to live in this state as well.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Way to go Kentucky!

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Yes, this type of legislation is needed in all states.
If Kentucky Governor Steve Beshear signs it then I will believe it is more than posturing or pandering.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I guess its time to move to Kentucky, any room down there for a good ole boy canon builder???

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   

And to think that when I was younger, I couldn't wait to grow up and move out of Kentucky. So glad I grew a few brain cells and decided to stick around.
Very proud to be a Kentuckian!

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by SPECULUM

Hell yeah, buddy! Come on down and see us!

edit on 2/28/2013 by gemineye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Holy smokes this is awesome!

Not only did they do the right thing and support the Constitution and listen to the people, but it was a "1" page bill!

1 page!!!! WOW, and its in plain English with no confusing language that would allow loopholes like the 200+ page bills that are given just the day before being voted on.

The place that had the "shot heard around the world" is setting the bar once again for American freedom. I know other states have done this as well but I do not believe theirs were 1 page bills.

WOW!!! I think I just teared up a little, got goosebumps right now. So proud to be an American when I read things like this!

edit on 28-2-2013 by Lostmymarbles because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   

This is stupid and nothing more than posturing. First the state doesnt enforce federal gun control laws the FBI will be enforcing them, treasury agents will enforce them but not Kentucky. So saying they wont enforce something thats not theres to enforce makes me think theres a lot of politicians in Kentucky that need to be fired for doing nothing on the tax payers dime.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

Sheriffs have the power to arrest anyone who violates State Laws, that includes federal agents. Something carried over from the Magna Carta I believe. Plus if the state wants, they can make it to where federal agents must alert the state before entering or doing anything. These are some of things the Founding Fathers decided to add into the Constitution and Declaration of Independence as a way to help protect state freedoms as well as the overall freedoms of the American people. And people think pot smokers are dumb...

Also anything that goes against the Constitution is void and therefore illegal. So any attempt to pass a bill or law that would go against the Constitution, other then ratifying the Constitution, is automatically an illegal bill, therefore unenforceable.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
does anyone have a picture of this bill, or a copy of it they can post, id like to forward it to senators in my state, and see if i have enough people petition it if we can save our rights out here as well.
thanx
D.B.!

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Yes it's absolutely needed in all states. Although my state of New York has took about 100 steps backwards. I really need to get out of this state. I fear Texas may be a little bit too hot for me but I'll get used to it once I save up enough money. And as I cross the border from NY to PA you can rest assure that my middle finger will be up.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Lostmymarbles

You couldn't be more wrong the state enforces state laws but federal law is handled by the federal government. The state can inact laws in addition to or even mirror federal laws. But the state doesn't have the power or authority to enforce federal law. For example bank fraud is a federal offense if committed the local sherriff won't arrest you the FBI will. If local law enforcement attempted to get involved they would be told to go home and leave this to the big boys.So a state saying they wouldn't enforce federal law means nothing. And as far as the constitution there is no requirement for any federal agency to talk to any state they may do so out of courtesy but most of the time they choose not to. So obviously if they don't enforce the law saying they won't means noithing does it?

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Maybe this is posturing. Maybe it is unconstitutional. But at least the government in my home state is following what the people want, not just blindly following the wishes of Washington. It sends a message if nothing else, "We stand for our people". Something a hell of a lot more important than what Obama has done so far.
edit on 1-3-2013 by DAVID64 because: add

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonridr
reply to post by Lostmymarbles

You couldn't be more wrong the state enforces state laws but federal law is handled by the federal government. The state can inact laws in addition to or even mirror federal laws. But the state doesn't have the power or authority to enforce federal law. For example bank fraud is a federal offense if committed the local sherriff won't arrest you the FBI will. If local law enforcement attempted to get involved they would be told to go home and leave this to the big boys.So a state saying they wouldn't enforce federal law means nothing. And as far as the constitution there is no requirement for any federal agency to talk to any state they may do so out of courtesy but most of the time they choose not to. So obviously if they don't enforce the law saying they won't means noithing does it?

Actually your the one who's wrong because I never said states can enforce federal laws. Why don't you reread what I posted.

What I said was the states can pass laws requiring federal agents to notify them before entering into the state. Also a state can pass laws that protect it's citizens even if it goes against federal laws and anyone who enters the state can be arrested for violating the state's law. Which means federal agents attempting to enforce federal laws in a state that has a law that is counter to federal law can be arrested by sheriffs for violating the state law.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   

The vote was 34-3. Three of the Senate’s 14 Democrats voted no, stating that the measure would be trumped by the U.S. Constitution’s Supremacy Clause.

These fools are idiots the Supremacy Clause supports Kentucky here. It makes the U.S. Constitution the supreme law of the land not unconstitutional federal statutes infringing on rights. The 2nd amendment is clear there can be no infringements on the right to keep and bear arms that is the supreme law of the land!

edit on 1-3-2013 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join