It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.9 magnitude earthquake strikes off Kuril Islands, eastern Russia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   

6.9 magnitude earthquake strikes off Kuril Islands, eastern Russia

rt.com

A magnitude 6.9 earthquake has hit the Kuril Islands, south of Russia’s Kamchatka peninsula, according to the United States Geological Survey (USGS). The quake had a depth of 18 miles.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Just breaking on RT, no damage so far

It's the second quake to hit the Kuril Islands this year. A magnitude 5.5 earthquake struck the Isles on January 1. The Islands were also hit with two earthquakes in November 2012, which measured magnitudes of 6.8 and 5.3.

The Kuril Islands are located 90 kilometers (56 miles) from Severo-Kuril'sk, Russia. Tokyo is located 2,204 kilometers (1,369 miles) away from the Isles.

The population of the Islands is around 19,000 people, and the total land area is about 15,600 square kilometers (6,000 square miles).

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Lets see how this story develops, no tsunami warning so far.
edit on 28-2-2013 by Senduko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Senduko

Wow 3 min news showed the oceanic buoys in event mode today.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
What do u mean? allot of activity then?

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Senduko

I guess you meant that for me ?

No he showed minor activity, but he has shown activity in buoys before other quakes like the 8.0 in Santa Cruz

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
There is a thread for this already...
quakewatch 2013

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by steve95988

That thread started in 2011. Should every quake be posted there and nowhere else until the end of time ?

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Very interesting.. Mother Nature/Earth is just getting more 'n more irritated. Can't wait till she has her 'actual' meltdown. Fellas, you know what I'm talking about; the 'before' is nothing compared to the actual 'event' haha.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Link to the ever useful USGS Realtime Earthquake map: earthquake.usgs.gov...

You can drill down in there and see the various event details and other alerts -- in this case, neither the Pacific nor Alaska Tsunami Warning Center has anything to say about it, so probably not going to be a major event. (Pacific Warning Center Bulletin)

edit on 28-2-2013 by adjensen because: link to wrong report

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
An almost 7.0 almost 20 miles below Oceans surface, where does go to get Sunami Alerts? I am subscribed to feeds from USGS...but only for Quakes above 5.0 I don't see it, so does anyone have a quick link to where a person could get that info? I have family on the coast and am always concerned when I see big Oceanic quakes.
Thanks
X

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Interesting... so , been a busy year already for Russia in terms of natural disasters, or potential disasters. If anything, Russia ought to be praising its good fortune. A meteor passing over at such velocity that the pressure wave from its passage through the air shatters windows and cracks walls, and an earthquake too, and so far, no fatalities that we know of.

Staggeringly good fortune I would say.

Now, I know that conventionally speaking, one would turn to me and say "But TrueBrit, how can you claim that Russia is under a cloud of good fortune at the moment when all these near cataclysms are befalling it?" Well, there are two ways to look at luck. Theres the movie and fantasy kind of luck, where people go through life, and nothing bad ever happens what so ever. They never get sick, they never get hurt or killed in accidents, they do backflips over tables without landing on thier heads, and the boy always gets the girl, blah blah blah....

And then theres the best kind of luck you can hope for in the real world, which can be illustrated with a phrase something like "Yes, the sky is falling, but for now it seems to have missed your head."

I would also like to question those who believe that there is some sort of link that can tie up all the threads of the video that was posted, about Coronal Mass Ejections, somehow being linked to the atmospheric weather, and the likelihood of earthquakes. I find it a little obtuse that someone would be trying to link all these things without anything more substantive than a line of best fit on a graph to hold the thing together. Is there more to it?

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcouncil=wisdom
An almost 7.0 almost 20 miles below Oceans surface, where does go to get Sunami Alerts? I am subscribed to feeds from USGS...but only for Quakes above 5.0 I don't see it, so does anyone have a quick link to where a person could get that info?

Regional:
Pacific Tsunami Warning Center
West Coast and Alaska Tsunami Warning Center
Japanese Meteorological Agency Tsunami Warnings

General:
National Weather Service Tsunami Program

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
It depends on the type of quake. Slip-strike quakes generally do not cause tsunamis while thrust and mega thrust earthquakes usually do.

new topics

top topics

join