It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gilgamesh Tomb Believed Found at Uruk!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by TrowaBarton

Apart from naming names and such like there isn't much else I could say on this for now. I wish I could, I wish others would publicly proclaim the information they know then we might be getting somewhere.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nicorette
Somewhat embarrassing to see this thread about essentially nothing -- given Uruk was discovered in the 19th Century and the alleged "new" tomb is based on an article from a decade ago -- at the very top of ATS.

Critical thinking does not mean clicking on a link that attracts your interest, quickly scanning the first post, then making sweeping grandiose generalizations about your own particular cracked hobby horse.

Agreed that this is an old find but can you find anything recent about this dig? That piques my interest

What is did find is the is re-circulating among the other alt-sites
______beforeitsnews/alternative/2013/02/gilgamesh-tomb-believed-found-at-uruk-iraq-2579124.html
www.disclose.tv...

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
how is it stuff like this gets hundreds of stars and flags when its 10 years old and hasn't been verified at all with not a single other source on it in 10 years? zzzz so over seeing stuff like this on the front page and the sheep jump all over it and S&F the hell out of it.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Hello. I'm new here.

Could someone tell me what exactly are the "Annunaki"? I've heard this term many times reading about religion, and every time I hear it, it's mentioned with aliens and fallen angels.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TWILITE22
you know it is odd that they depict animals correctly so why would they depicted themselves incorrectly?They are always shown as much taller and larger in comparison to other individuals and animals.
People pick and chose as to what to believe then again I guess it is their right...fascinating non the less

The animal in the statue is a lion cub.

Gilgamesh famously rescued a lion cub in his story, and is often depicted with the rescued cub under his arm.

That being said, it is true that some artwork depicts kings (and gods) as larger than humans. They did this as an emphasis to the importance of the particular personage being depicted.

Originally posted by undo
there's a few different possible explanations, including that they mistranslated the word "to fall down", such as fall down from the sky, to be the equivalent of "giant" and i don't know why that would be. why is it fall down and giant are synonymous in ancient hebrew. makes no sense. well there's the possibility the gravity of the planet grew to be too strong for the dinosaurs to remain erect and they fell down and couldn't get back up.

too many possible answers for just that one topic

Sitchin assumes "nephilim" comes from the Hebrew word "naphal" which usually means "to fall." He then forces the meaning "to come down" onto the word, creating his "to come down from above" translation. In the form we find it in the Hebrew Bible, if the word nephilim came from Hebrew naphal, it would not be spelled as we find it. The form nephilim cannot mean "fallen ones" (the spelling would then be nephulim). Likewise nephilim does not mean "those who fall" or "those who fall away" (that would be nophelim). The only way in Hebrew to get nephilim from naphal by the rules of Hebrew morphology (word formation) would be to presume a noun spelled naphil and then pluralize it. I say "presume" since this noun does not exist in biblical Hebrew -- unless one counts Genesis 6:4 and Numbers 13:33, the two occurrences of nephilim -- but that would then be assuming what one is trying to prove! However, in Aramaic the noun naphil(a) does exist. It means "giant," making it easy to see why the Septuagint (the ancient Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible) translated nephilim as gigantes ("giant").

Heiser

Pretty much means giant.

Harte

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage
Agreed that this is an old find but can you find anything recent about this dig? That piques my interest

______beforeitsnews/alternative/2013/02/gilgamesh-tomb-believed-found-at-uruk-iraq-2579124.html
www.disclose.tv...

No I haven't found anything new either, although the war starting in 2003 and ongoing surely caused problems for anyone trying to archaeology there. The Iraq museum was looted remember.

Finding Gilgamesh's tomb would be amazing. I see nothing to show it was actually found.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte

Gen 6:4 There were giants 5303 in the earth 776 in those days 3117; and also after 310 that 3651, when 834 the sons 1121 of God 430 came in 935 unto the daughters 1323 of men 120, and they bare 3205 [children] to them, the same 1992 [became] mighty men 1368 which [were] of old 5769, men 582 of renown 8034.

Strong's H5303 - nĕphiyl
נָפִיל
Transliteration
nĕphiyl
Root Word (Etymology)
From נָפַל (H5307)

Strong's H5307 - naphal
נָפַל
Transliteration
naphal

1) to fall, lie, be cast down, fail

a) (Qal)

1) to fall

2) to fall (of violent death)

3) to fall prostrate, prostrate oneself before

4) to fall upon, attack, desert, fall away to , go away to, fall into the hand of

5) to fall short, fail, fall out, turn out, result

6) to settle, waste away, be offered, be inferior to

7) to lie, lie prostrate

b) (Hiphil)

1) to cause to fall, fell, throw down, knock out, lay prostrate

2) to overthrow

3) to make the lot fall, assign by lot, apportion by lot

4) to let drop, cause to fail (fig.)

5) to cause to fall

c) (Hithpael)

1) to throw or prostrate oneself, throw oneself upon

2) to lie prostrate, prostrate oneself

d) (Pilel) to fall

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nicorette

Originally posted by abeverage

www.disclose.tv...

No I haven't found anything new either, although the war starting in 2003 and ongoing surely caused problems for anyone trying to archaeology there. The Iraq museum was looted remember.

Finding Gilgamesh's tomb would be amazing. I see nothing to show it was actually found.

I have been on ATS too long...I was just thinking about the propaganda pieces where they past in different photos taken at different times in the middle east. Hell this could very well be an article just like that. I cannot find even photos of the dig site other than what was posted on BBC! LOL UGh...

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rocks123
reply to post by Nicorette

This is what I asked few posts above yours and no one is is noticing that this article/news are from 2003. Was anything else in addition that they located?

I read the whole thread too, and no there is no new information. Just a lot of idle speculation and the inevitable "Annunaki" and Zachariah Stitchin fluff.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
5303 nphiyl nef-eel' or nphil [nef-eel']; from 5307; properly, a feller, i.e. a bully or tyrant:--giant.

5307 naphal naw-fal' a primitive root; to fall, in a great variety of applications (intransitive or causative, literal or figurative):--be accepted, cast (down, self, (lots), out), cease, die, divide (by lot), (let) fail, (cause to, let, make, ready to) fall (away, down, -en, -ing), fell(-ing), fugitive, have (inheritance), inferior, be judged (by mistake for 6419), lay (along), (cause to) lie down, light (down), be (X hast) lost, lying, overthrow, overwhelm, perish, present(-ed, -ing), (make to) rot, slay, smite out, X surely, throw down.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeonZebraSelah
Hello. I'm new here.

Could someone tell me what exactly are the "Annunaki"? I've heard this term many times reading about religion, and every time I hear it, it's mentioned with aliens and fallen angels.

"Anunnaki" is the Babylonian term for the group of underworld gods called the "Anunna" by Sumerians.

Anunna the word roughly translates as the sons or offspring of An or Anu, who was the main god (the big kahuna.) Anu was, originally, the embodiment of the sky itself. Later, he "merely" became the god of the sky (and rain, and a couple other things IIRC.)

You can think of the Anunnaki as sort of like Zeus' divine offspring in Greek mythology.

Several decades ago, a failed economics historian began fabricatiing tales and even fabricating so-called- depictions of ancient cylinder seal impressions in support of those tales, concerning the idea that the Anunnaki were aliens that created humans from Neanderthals (originally, IIRC) then later Homo Erectus.

Harte
edit on 3/1/2013 by Harte because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

reply to post by Harte

Gen 6:4 There were giants 5303 in the earth 776 in those days 3117; and also after 310 that 3651, when 834 the sons 1121 of God 430 came in 935 unto the daughters 1323 of men 120, and they bare 3205 [children] to them, the same 1992 [became] mighty men 1368 which [were] of old 5769, men 582 of renown 8034.

Strong's H5303 - nĕphiyl
נָפִיל
Transliteration
nĕphiyl
Root Word (Etymology)
From נָפַל (H5307)

Strong's H5307 - naphal
נָפַל
Transliteration
naphal

1) to fall, lie, be cast down, fail

a) (Qal)

1) to fall

2) to fall (of violent death)

3) to fall prostrate, prostrate oneself before

4) to fall upon, attack, desert, fall away to , go away to, fall into the hand of

5) to fall short, fail, fall out, turn out, result

6) to settle, waste away, be offered, be inferior to

7) to lie, lie prostrate

b) (Hiphil)

1) to cause to fall, fell, throw down, knock out, lay prostrate

2) to overthrow

3) to make the lot fall, assign by lot, apportion by lot

4) to let drop, cause to fail (fig.)

5) to cause to fall

c) (Hithpael)

1) to throw or prostrate oneself, throw oneself upon

2) to lie prostrate, prostrate oneself

d) (Pilel) to fall

I take it, then that you can't comprehend:

The only way in Hebrew to get nephilim from naphal by the rules of Hebrew morphology (word formation) would be to presume a noun spelled naphil and then pluralize it. I say "presume" since this noun does not exist in biblical Hebrew

Harte

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Harte is pretty much dead on with his explination. Many may consider them to be the Engineers of the human race. Have you ever seen the movie Prometheus?

Welcome to ATS!

edit on 1-3-2013 by EL1A5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by rayuki
how is it stuff like this gets hundreds of stars and flags when its 10 years old and hasn't been verified at all with not a single other source on it in 10 years? zzzz so over seeing stuff like this on the front page and the sheep jump all over it and S&F the hell out of it.

Exactly and this is 1 of my favorite subjects, I love hearing stuff like this but this is just irresponsible. People have been commenting on the date of this 'new' article for atleast 4 pages now and there just being ignored. What are the moderators here for if posters are allowed openly mislead people.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
You know that the religious community are going to be extremely nervous about this. That's all they need is more writings to prove the Bible was ripped off of Sumerian text.

Actually, I think many feel that stuff like this validates the bible's historical authenticity (if not always its accuracy.)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte

it's the root word, not the initial transliteration. the root word of nephiyl is naphal

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Harte

^the above post of mine is for nephiyl

this is for naphal, the root word etymology of nephiyl

edit on 1-3-2013 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   

reply to post by Harte

^the above post of mine is for nephiyl

this is for naphal, the root word etymology of nephiyl

As Heiser correctly points out, the word naphil does not exist in Biblical Hebrew. Word morphology of the Hebrew of that time requires the root word of Nephilim to be naphil, not naphal. Were naphal the root word of nephilim, then nephilim would be spelled nephulim. The word naphil does, however exist in Aramaic. Meaning -"giant."

Nephilim, then, actually has as its root word the Aramaic word naphil. Meaning "giant."

Harte
edit on 3/1/2013 by Harte because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by EL1A5

Harte is pretty much dead on with his explination. Many may consider them to be the Engineers of the human race. Have you ever seen the movie Prometheus?

Welcome to ATS!

no, this is an instance where harte is wrong. for example he wants to insert the word "giants" and only giants, without the rationale for application of it in context of the time frame. and also without considering words that mean the same thing, such as gibbor or gibborim or mighty ones. he will even tell you that giants in imagery from the time frame was meant to depict authority -- et al, pharaohs and kings were depicted as giants. but he doesn't understand how that could be in context in this example, as well, which i find rather telling of his bias. it only means giants (as in impossibly large sentient beings) when it's in the text of the bible, otherwise, it's not a reference to height but to authority in his estimation.

gibbor
1368 gibbowr ghib-bore' or (shortened) gibbor [ghib-bore']; intensive from the same as 1397; powerful; by implication, warrior, tyrant:-- champion, chief, X excel, giant, man, mighty (man, one), strong (man), valiant man.

so how do we separate a valiant man, mighty one, giant, tyrant, from the other examples of rebels, fallen ones, etc? they seem to be inseparable in the text from the time frame, which means, that the mighty ones=the fallen ones=the giants=the nephilim=tyrants=gibborim=to fall down=to come down.

the text is saying powerful beings, who behaved like tyrant kings, came down to the earth and did __________ (fill in the blank, depending on the text)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by EL1A5

Welcome to ATS!

no, this is an instance where harte is wrong. for example he wants to insert the word "giants" and only giants, without the rationale for application of it in context of the time frame. and also without considering words that mean the same thing, such as gibbor or gibborim or mighty ones. he will even tell you that giants in imagery from the time frame was meant to depict authority -- et al, pharaohs and kings were depicted as giants. but he doesn't understand how that could be in context in this example, as well, which i find rather telling of his bias. it only means giants (as in impossibly large sentient beings) when it's in the text of the bible, otherwise, it's not a reference to height but to authority in his estimation.

gibbor
1368 gibbowr ghib-bore' or (shortened) gibbor [ghib-bore']; intensive from the same as 1397; powerful; by implication, warrior, tyrant:-- champion, chief, X excel, giant, man, mighty (man, one), strong (man), valiant man.

so how do we separate a valiant man, mighty one, giant, tyrant, from the other examples of rebels, fallen ones, etc? they seem to be inseparable in the text from the time frame, which means, that the mighty ones=the fallen ones=the giants=the nephilim=tyrants=gibborim=to fall down=to come down.

the text is saying powerful beings, who behaved like tyrant kings, came down to the earth and did __________ (fill in the blank, depending on the text)

You misinterpret what I'm saying.

I don't claim any literal giants, nor do I claim that the biblical authors claimed such.

"Giant" can mean powerful, etc., just like you said.

What I'm saying is that it doesn't mean "fallen." I'm not saying it's time to trade the cow for some magic beans!

Harte

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join