It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gilgamesh Tomb Believed Found at Uruk!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Thanks, there is evidence that suggests that Gilgamesh was no one other than Nimrod the son of Cush, more than likely it was never a myth that he existed.

Also if you do some research, it has been said there are more names that Gilgamesh may have been identified with also like, Baal, Osiris, Adonis, Dionysus, Orion, Bacchus ,Mithra , Tammuz, Ra and Apollo

I am surprised there are no previous threads because this is old news at least on the internet going back to 2003
Last Updated: Tuesday, 29 April, 2003, 07:57 GMT 08:57 UK
BBC NEWS ARTICLE FROM 2003

edit on 28-2-2013 by phinubian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
That BBC report is nearly ten years old. So what has happened since these discoveries? Here's an update:

The reporter still does not know whether the tomb really has been found. She suspects that, if it had been, we would not have been told, in which case we shall never know.....

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
You know that the religious community are going to be extremely nervous about this. That's all they need is more writings to prove the Bible was ripped off of Sumerian text.

Why would it make Christians nervous? Our Creator left His words for us in the Bible and Our Truth Jesus Christ, has sent His Spirit to testify to that Truth. I will no doubt watch as the world, devoid of truth, accepts the truths of men which are really no truths but lies. The west has had fifty plus years of solid indoctrination to only believe in something if there is physical evidence. Well, now, we reach the culmination of that indoctrination and watch as they pull out said physical evidence and the west gobbles it up as truth. It doesn't matter if it's lies, because the physical evidence must prove that it's true....after all, we must have evidence before we can believe it. ....see the circular reasoning?

If I go to a little kid and tell him that a god who shocks people lives inside an electrical outlet, how can I prove to him that my lie is a truth? Get him to stick his finger in the socket. He will never know the real truth until he learns about electricity. This is the kind of critical thinking that has been removed from us, to our detriment. The "annunaki lies" are just that, so how do the wicked get the gullible to believe it as their truth? Very easily. Offer them "physical proof", just like that little kid that I fooled. This example should caution everybody. If they need you to believe something is true, they will make it appear so with things that are perceived through our senses but it doesn't necessarily mean that it IS true.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Awesome find OP, I really hope we hear more about this in the future.

reply to post by DJW001

Originally posted by stirling
Should the city be Uruk, and Gilgamesh prove a real character
It then puts a greater stamp of authenticity for the Annuaki story as well does it not?
The Sumerians didnt bull# us maybe?

No. Gilgamesh was a legendary character, like King Arthur. The legend may have been based on an actual person, but the stories told about him are fantasies. If an archaeologist turned up a grave that could definitely be identified as that of Arthur, Dux Bellorum, it would not mean that Stonehenge was built by Merlin.

Is this really what you think? The detailed account were given in the Epic of Gilgamesh was entirely just fantasy based fiction? That none of the epic was based on real events and was nothing but symbolic of things we could never understand?

How do you compare Gilgamesh to King Arthur..

Its that kind of thinking that keeps us from knowing our true history and origins. This thread is about an archeological find that is probably the tomb of Gilgamesh! Yet here you are, with no supporting evidence of your claim, saying that this can't exist because the epic was entirely fictional.

Shame on you.
edit on 28-2-2013 by 1/2 Nephilim because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Wow, holy smokes this is a great find. This is one of those things that will change the history books and hopefully "lemming" thinking that in myths and legends are merely stories.

Going to be following this story.

As the days continue to go by, I bet more and more like discoveries will be made. After all, we are in the Age of Aquarius which is said to be the Age of Truth. So far it seems to hold water as many recent discoveries in the last 10 or so years have rewritten conventional thought of "true" history.

Excellent find!

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhoKnows100

Originally posted by Hopechest
You know that the religious community are going to be extremely nervous about this. That's all they need is more writings to prove the Bible was ripped off of Sumerian text.

Why would it make Christians nervous? Our Creator left His words for us in the Bible and Our Truth Jesus Christ, has sent His Spirit to testify to that Truth. I will no doubt watch as the world, devoid of truth, accepts the truths of men which are really no truths but lies. The west has had fifty plus years of solid indoctrination to only believe in something if there is physical evidence. Well, now, we reach the culmination of that indoctrination and watch as they pull out said physical evidence and the west gobbles it up as truth. It doesn't matter if it's lies, because the physical evidence must prove that it's true....after all, we must have evidence before we can believe it. ....see the circular reasoning?

If I go to a little kid and tell him that a god who shocks people lives inside an electrical outlet, how can I prove to him that my lie is a truth? Get him to stick his finger in the socket. He will never know the real truth until he learns about electricity. This is the kind of critical thinking that has been removed from us, to our detriment. The "annunaki lies" are just that, so how do the wicked get the gullible to believe it as their truth? Very easily. Offer them "physical proof", just like that little kid that I fooled. This example should caution everybody. If they need you to believe something is true, they will make it appear so with things that are perceived through our senses but it doesn't necessarily mean that it IS true.

Looks like you ticked someone off with your comment. You can see where he stands just by looking at his forum name. "lmao really" "rolls eyes!"

Great post OP really outdated but still a good read. Funny how there was never really a update on it. Is there a way to find out the names of the people who were working on the dig?

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Great find... yours and theirs!

Thanks!

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by micpsi

Yea it seems like the more interesting or groundbreaking a find is the less info you can find about it. Sad really, I wanna read more :/

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

Sadly all the conflict over there has no doubt put the kybosh on this being excavated or
investigated earlier

i've read the old story many times, he may well be humanity's first recorded hero, and could have been a real figure - it is certainly not out side of the realms of possibility.
i dont know if you know of the tombs of Lugal-Abargi and Shubad/Puabi and where these were found, along with various attendants who accompanied them into the afterlife....

the queen's golden head-dress:

and a variety of bull headed lyres, of which this is a reproduction:

just a bit of flavour to get everyone's taste buds all twitchy

see, i'm not here just to say "rocks"

reply to post by stirling

Hiya Stirling.. i assure you that there is no connection with the Annunaki (who are phenomenally lied about/misrepresented in current "AA" theories, horribly so) and Gilgamesh - i've read different translations of the Gilgamesh tablets many many times, it just is not there.
if anyone can point me to a credible translation of Gilgamesh (rather than excerpts in a book about aliens/mysteries etc) with a flying alien gold hunting annunaki (etc) connection, i'll run down my street butt-naked shouting about aliens living in my penis. and have it filmed and posted here.
i'm that sure

edit on 28-2-2013 by skalla because: cos i is crap and typing and that

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by 1/2 Nephilim

Is this really what you think? The detailed account were given in the Epic of Gilgamesh was entirely just fantasy based fiction? That none of the epic was based on real events and was nothing but symbolic of things we could never understand?

Clearly, you have never read the Epic of Gilgamesh. It is very brief and short on detail. As I said, there may well have been an early leader named "Gilgamesh," but the epic contains folk stories that grew up around him long after his death, just like King Arthur and Alexander the Great before him.

How do you compare Gilgamesh to King Arthur..

True; the Arthurian material has spawned some of the masterworks of Western literature. It took Hebrew scribes to rework some of the Gilgamesh material into something readable.

Its that kind of thinking that keeps us from knowing our true history and origins. This thread is about an archeological find that is probably the tomb of Gilgamesh! Yet here you are, with no supporting evidence of your claim, saying that this can't exist because the epic was entirely fictional.

You have it exactly backwards. The archaeologists think it might the tomb of Gilgamesh because it is located in a city they think might be Uruk, and the tomb is situated in a location that suggests it might conform to the description in the epic. Perhaps it is; if they can find some inscriptions that identify it for certain it will be an incredible discovery. I never said that "it can't be because the epic was entirely fictional." On the other hand, if you confuse fairy tales with archival material, you will never know our true history or origin.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

so so true - The Epic of Gilgamesh is widely and easily available - as one of humanities oldest and greatest hero stories (and the oldest recorded one i think), i wonder why more dont read the real thing rather than believing a load of gumph someone else told them is in it.
it's short, totally easily readable and fantastic besides.

edit on 28-2-2013 by skalla because: spelling

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I tried to find an update but to no avail. The most recent activity I could find regarding this find was from 2005, where the European Space Imaging GmbH sponsored the analysis of high-resolution satellite imagery, through which further information on the city's structure could be gained.

www.dainst.org...

Following the surface survey from 1982-1984, new data was collected in the years 2001 and 2002 on the urban structure of this large city. The analysis of aerial photographs and a geophysical survey were accompanied by the geomorphological analysis of core samples. These provided information on the division of the city in districts, on the road infrastructure and the functional organization of different areas. A new discovery was the system of channels which ran through the city. The city wall also proved to be much more complex in its construction than previously thought on the basis of excavations. In the year 2005 the European Space Imaging GmbH sponsored the analysis of high-resolution satellite imagery, through which further information on the city's structure could be gained.

Sad to see no further updates; seems to happen a lot with archaeological finds I come across

EDIT: according to the website the fieldwork was interrupted in 2003 so there has been no field work for 10 years. My personal guess is the discovery of the possible tomb of Gilgamesh happened shortly before the interruption... Would explain the no update part. Ugh.
edit on 28-2-2013 by Sovvy because: add stuff

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
After quick search I found that there is going to be new exhibition Uruk 5000 years of Megacity opening in April in Berlin but there is no mention about Gilgamesh..
Maybe they didn't find anything, or they kept the knowledge hidden to reveal later
who knows...

edit on 28-2-2013 by jazzgul because: spelling

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I wait for the day that we find out these Myth's and Stories were actually 100% true. Not just the person having actually existed but when humanity as a whole figures out that these tales of grand adventure / dragon slaying (Dinosaurs that were still living?) even the Greek gods actually existed and get it through our heads.

Going deeper I feel the Gods assimilated and entered the human re-incarnation cycle to experierance Mortality first hand and why we do the things we do. This is why we find no evidence. They entered their own game.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

While it is thought that the stories about Gilgamesh are fantasies, this is really a shallow way of looking at myth and legend. Many of the culture heroes and gods of myth and legend were either real people, deified perhaps gradually over time, and many represent a sort of concretion of several characters, perhaps real, perhaps deeply mythological. Additionally, in many pantheons you have gods and supernatural entities that represent natural forces, psychological states, even marital states. The explanation that Zeus was this big strong guy on a cloud was for the peasant masses. The initiated knew differently. Our current Jesus is a similar figure despite the strident objections of the uninitiated Christians.

One wonders about the giant Humbaba that Gilgamesh battled with, and how this character could be interpreted.

That they found the real tomb of the real Gilgamesh, however, I find doubtful. Archaeologists have a way of sensationalizing their discoveries and th public laps it up. Hell, lots of people still believe that Schleeman found Troy!

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by HattoriHanzou

One wonders about the giant Humbaba that Gilgamesh battled with, and how this character could be interpreted.

I could believe David and Goliath just on the fact of put a 5'7'' man next too a 7'' tall behemoth of a man and the odds state that the larger man will dominate. Could this be the depiction of Humbaba and Gilgamesh just mirrored through Christianity? If so I could believe it without making statements about legitamate giants..... Though speaking of giants... If you put me next to Andre the Giant.... I would look like a Ant..... Or smaller.... Yikes~!

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by jazzgul
After quick search I found that hhere is going to be new exhibition Uruk 5000 years of Megacity opening in April in Berlin but there is no mention about Gilgamesh..
Maybe they didn't find anything, or they kept the knowledge hidden to reveal later
who knows...

I think they simply didn't find anything to support/proof their claim, as the possible tomb was discovered in 2003 - the same year the fieldwork was interrupted to never be picked up again in Uruk.

There is no evidence of it being a tomb. It's not mentioned in the article nor on the website I linked in my previous post. It could be interpreted as tomb as said in the BBC article, but that's it. There is no further mention of additional excavation of this building or anything found that would define it as a tomb, no matter who is buried in it. The only claim is that the location is as described in the epic of Gilgamesh.

posted on Feb, 28 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by sulaw

Well I would not be so bold and ignorant to deny that one could interpret these stories literally, one also has to ponder the allegorical as well. My point is that in these myths and legends, we have many stories that could be both semi- or wholly-factual and yet have an allegorical meaning that may be just as, or more important, than eir literal meaning whether true or not.

Ancient civilizations didn't go to the trouble of recording or passing down carefully memorized stories merely for entertainment. These stories all had a deeper meaning to them, and if we look, to us as well.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join