It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Student Punished for Refusing to Salute and Recite Mexican Pledge

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy nut
she was never "forced" to recite the mexican pledge, as she wouldn't have been "forced" to recite the american pledge either.

The teacher is in a position of authority over the children. That's psychologicially intimidating to stand up to. And the student was given a hard time for refusing the assignment even though all the other students could refuse to say the American pledge and not get in trouble. Intimidation was used against her. And the threat of a failing grade against a child ... that is force being levied against her. To the students credit .. she didn't buckle under the intimidation and force being used against her. Good for her.

lets see how the lawsuit pans out and if any proof of the teachers radical mexican tendencies come out.

Radical Mexican tendencies ...
Do you consider attending La Raza sponsored events to be 'radical tendencies'?
I would. Maybe we'll get to see ... maybe we wont ...
I'm sure the school system is in full 'damage control' spin/coverup mode ....

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Originally posted by luciddream
I remember singing or at least writing the national anthem of Tanzania for grade 7 assignment...

Exactly.
I'm not sure why everyone is overreacting here. It was just a bit of learning about another country. One could easly imagine that a non-American might be asked to learn the American pledge if they were doing an assignment about the USA, or that somebody learning about Britain in school might be asked to learn "God save the Queen".
None of this would mean anything.
Nobody expects that such bits of text are meant to be taken as genuine oaths.

I remember having to learn and recite some Shakespeare.
Nobody in class understood that to mean that I genuinely and honestly hoped to get some sleep, perchance to dream.

you need to read the whole complaint filing
the student was not allowed to go back into class after "media attention" and had to sit in the office....because of this, the student recieved an "F" on her report card for this class.
i'm left of center, but these teachers and some execs in the school district need to be fired...this went way over the top.
edit on 1-3-2013 by jimmyx because: sentence structure

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

yes i would consider it radical tendencies and although perfectly legal in the U.S under our freedoms i would not find it acceptable in our schools.

as far as the rest of your comment above, you do not know any of that for fact, you are sensationalizing the entire story.

according to the facts in your link, she was not FORCED to do anything, she was given an alternative assignment which she received an F on. so unless someone comes up with a copy of that assignment it would be really hard to tell who is stretching the truth. i will wait til more proof comes out before i start to make up scenarios in my head.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

reply to post by FlyersFan

yes i would consider it radical tendencies and although perfectly legal in the U.S under our freedoms i would not find it acceptable in our schools.

as far as the rest of your comment above, you do not know any of that for fact, you are sensationalizing the entire story.

according to the facts in your link, she was not FORCED to do anything, she was given an alternative assignment which she received an F on. so unless someone comes up with a copy of that assignment it would be really hard to tell who is stretching the truth. i will wait til more proof comes out before i start to make up scenarios in my head.

she was forced from attending the class after this came out, and recieved an "F" on her report card for that class

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
why didn't the teacher say "OK, then can you recite the American pleadge of alligence in spanish"? that would have resolved this without any conflict....the teacher(s) had an agenda, and that is clear after i read the entire complaint.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

with all due respect, we do not know the whole story. we do not know what she wrote on the alternative assignment, we do not know how the rest of her grades were in that class, we don't know if she was a trouble maker etc etc. there is a lot to the story we do not know. i will leave it at that.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
When I took US History in high school, I strongly objected to the way our "founding fathers" were painted as heroes. But guess what? I did the assignment anyway and got an A. This girl needs to quit bitching and just do the schoolwork.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

reply to post by jimmyx

with all due respect, we do not know the whole story. we do not know what she wrote on the alternative assignment, we do not know how the rest of her grades were in that class, we don't know if she was a trouble maker etc etc. there is a lot to the story we do not know. i will leave it at that.

she was not allowed back into that particular classroom...why?..and she was given an "F" on her report card for the entire year in that class. and yes, we do not know the whole story, i agree with you on that. but, it seems that the teacher was deliberately vindictive toward this student, when there where so many other ways available to a grown, adult, teacher to resolve this.
edit on 1-3-2013 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
did a little research and found her facebook page.
seems she is a little "radical" herself. she will probably get even more brownie points from some of you. it seems her political views include, ouck fbama.

lack of respect for our commander in chief much? perhaps her political views are a bit harsh for a teenager?
edit on 1-3-2013 by conspiracy nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
When I took US History in high school, I strongly objected to the way our "founding fathers" were painted as heroes. But guess what? I did the assignment anyway and got an A. This girl needs to quit bitching and just do the schoolwork.

huh? what does that have to do with this...what this girl did was constitutionally protected, under the 1st and 14th amendement, and the supreme court case ruling en.wikipedia.org...

this isn;t about the girl "bitching"

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
she also considers herself to be black/african american according to her myspace. oh boy this is getting interesting.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy nut

being critical of ones leaders is not "radical". If not every time a republican gets into office every democrat would then be a "radical", and vice versa.

She can have what ever personal views she wants. That is a straw man argument as well.

Even if SHE personally is a wreck and a horrible person, (which we cant tell from face book nor does that matter), her argument and point of finding issue with what was done to her is a completely separate matter.

same.

AND
SOME Mexicans can actually trace their lineage to African slaves that escaped the states.

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 1-3-2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
now u r just sticking up for her teenage tendencies, she does not look like a girl that would identify herself as black/african american. im sure she was being a typical goofball teenager by writing that, perhaps the kind of goofball that would make a stink out of the spanish class assignment, to be honest that could be viewed as an admirable quality. we will have to wait and see how this all pans out.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

No I am saying that her personal tendencies are irrelevant when addressing her issue with the school and that teacher. You are simply attacking teenage tendencies. I dont see the relevance of them to the issue at hand.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by tadaman

fair enough then why on her fb does she not have pics of beyonce and other beautiful african american women? its all pics of blonde white women and marilyn monroe. i think she wrote that she was black/african american as a joke.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

why on her fb does she not have pics of beyonce and other beautiful african american women?

What does that even matter? I mean really....is that....??? I dont even know how to respond to that, that is a really silly thing to notice....

Should she?

maybe she has good taste in music.

Please stop stalking her on FB and Myspace.

EDIT:
I cant let this go. That is stereotyping her. She MUST have pictures of famous rap and RB stars to prove she has black heritage?

I am of Visigoth heritage, should I then put a picture of Alaric I standing over a burning Rome on my face book to prove it?

That doesnt say anything. It doesnt matter AT ALL.....

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
her personal tendencies do matter because if she is a known trouble maker that identifies herself jokingly as black and has pics that say ouck fbama that says something about her character. perhaps she is a trouble maker, perhaps not. i googled her name and her fb and myspace accounts came up, i was looking for more info that was not in the article posted by FOXNEWS of all credible sources

edit on 1-3-2013 by conspiracy nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   

she is a "known trouble maker"...

ORLLLLY 0.o

says who? You. Yes I can see you REALLY grasping at straws to do so.

I am sorry but this little thing your doing really says it all for me.

EDIT:
Oh I had a poster of DMX on my wall in HS, does that make me black by your logic?

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by tadaman

you know what you are right i am out of line, i dont think she meant she was black/african i think she was joking. typical teenage stuff.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   

I appreciate the correction, but I dont see how ANYTHING you find on her facebook is relevant to the case, unless it is ABOUT the case.

Taking the approach of a job interview doesnt really do justice to her or the teacher. It is completely irrelevant.

FB is like play time. It says nothing about who and what a person really is. it is "pretend" for most people.

I would never even look at a FB page of a potential employee. That logic of "FB truth" will become part of the outdated culture eventually, but not before doing all the harm that everything dumb about the 70´s or 80´s did to us a culture.

Please stop thinking FB is anything but a complex dating service.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join