American Student Punished for Refusing to Salute and Recite Mexican Pledge

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
... no ruder than the ignorance and stupid national pride on display in this thread. Pathetic.

:shk: What is pathetic and ignorant is that there are those who don't support this student when she stood up for her rights. The school itself says that students can 'opt out' of saying the American pledge and having to read from American historical documents if they object. And yet, when this student decided to 'opt out' of the Mexican pledge .. she was heavily punished for it by her hispanic Spanish teacher.

What is really ignorant and stupid ... supporting the forcing of students to have stand in a class room ... extend their right arms ... put their palms face down .. (Nazi style) and recite a pledge of allegiance to Mexico and then sing their anthem.

As for 'national pride' being ignorant and rude and stupid ...

1 - No .. it's not.
2 - No one here is screaming 'viva America'.
3 - The issue isn't 'American pride'. It's about RIGHTS.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by blupblup
... no ruder than the ignorance and stupid national pride on display in this thread. Pathetic.

As for 'national pride' being ignorant and rude and stupid ...

1 - No .. it's not.
2 - No one here is screaming 'viva America'.
3 - The issue isn't 'American pride'. It's about RIGHTS.

I'd have to agree entirely. It is about rights and it's a real simple thing. The largest problem I see is that we even have to have a discussion about it in the first place. It wasn't until recently in this nation that any teacher would have had the unmitigated nerve to force an American child to recite the pledge of allegiance to another nation, in the first place.

What outrage would there be if schools in Mexico or other nations forced students to recite the American pledge of allegiance because they chose to take English language classes? The comparison is apt and precise in my view and wrong either direction. The teacher ought to have some time off to consider it all ...unpaid.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
What outrage would there be if schools in Mexico or other nations forced students to recite the American pledge of allegiance because they chose to take English language classes?

There ya' go.
Any students taking English in Saudi Arabia or Iran or Egypt ... force them to take the American pledge ... take the pledge standing with their right arms extended and their palms down (Nazi style). Let's see how that goes over ....

I wonder if those backing the hispanic teacher forcing the American student to take a pledge in this manner would then back the teachers in those other countries forcing their students to take the American pledge. hmmm ....

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

It is a pledge of allegiance. Masons and Satanists believe oaths are real. Why would they have anything to do with "oaths" and "pledges" in school? Totally wrong. My child isn't allowed to do such a thing either. Difference is our school system wouldn't force it, even if a teacher thought it was a great project.

They even were willing to take him out of the incorrect and lying Saudi Arabia history rewrite that I had written about. They seem to work with parents a lot more.

To me this is something everyone should be aware of. Parents should send kids to school to report back the course materials and texts because they would be in for a shock at what is being put in our schools.
edit on 1-3-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

First of all, the lawsuit (AND the title of your article) do NOT mention "saluting"...

reply to post by beezzer

Originally posted by beezzer
How many English classes on foreign soil make the students recite The Pledge of Allegiance?

Who cares? The last thing I want to do is base our behavior on the way other countries do things. Do you know the answer to your own question?

The school itself says that students can 'opt out' of saying the American pledge and having to read from American historical documents if they object.

Reciting the US Pledge of Allegiance daily and learning and reciting a foreign pledge once for a related school assignment are two ENTIRELY different things. The child is not being forced to pledge to Mexico.
She has an assignment to learn something about another country.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Reciting the US Pledge of Allegiance daily and learning and reciting a foreign pledge once for a related school assignment are two ENTIRELY different things. The child is not being forced to pledge to Mexico.
She has an assignment to learn something about another country.

Exactly, that's it right there.
That also seems to be what the batman guy was saying, but it seems the op and others cannot comprehend and differentiate between the two.

This seems like people moaning and chest beating simply for the sake of it and simply because they think these children are being 'turned'.
This isn't about double standards as the OP says, because the pledge recital isn't a daily, compulsory occurence and this was merely part of a project in order to pass a class.
It seems some like the OP will find conspiracies where there are none.
edit on 1-3-2013 by stargatetravels because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   

First of all, the lawsuit (AND the title of your article) do NOT mention "saluting"...

If you read further in the thread, you will see that the students did indeed have to stand, extend their right arms, palms facing downard, (nazi style) and recite a pledge of allegiance to the country of Mexico.

The child is not being forced to pledge to Mexico.

Says you.
The facts sure do smack of an agenda on the part of the teacher.

As far as the fluently spanish speaking student was concerned, she was very uncomfortable with the whole thing and decided to exercise the same rights that the other students who 'opt'd out' of the American pledge. However, the hispanic Spanish Teacher wasn't going along with it.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I like how "Nazi" style word is mentioned few times, is it suppose to stir some sort of mental opposition and side with the plaintiff? As in the Spanish are equivalent to Nazis.

Subliminal effect at works, bring out the patriotism no doubt.

Sad how many fall for it as evident from this thread.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by stargatetravels
but it seems the op and others cannot comprehend and differentiate between the two.

Ugh. My comprehension is just fine.
So what part of this don't YOU comprehend??

The school has a policy in which the students do not have to recite the American pledge and they don't have to recite from American historical documents if they are uncomfortable doing so. However, the Spanish teacher was forcing students to recite the Mexican pledge and to sing the Mexican anthem. And when the student said she was uncomfortable with it and wanted something else, the teacher then gave the student, who speaks fluent spanish and has a mother from Mexico, an 'F' on her project. And then the teacher forced the student to sit in the classroom day after day to listen to all the Spanish students recite the Mexican pledge in Spanish.

This isn't about double standards as the OP says,

I didn't say 'double standards'. I said it is the students right not to be forced to stand in front of a class with her right arm extended, her palm facing down, and recite the pledge to Mexico (or any other country for that matter). It's her right not to have to do that.

because the pledge recital isn't a daily, compulsory occurence and this was merely part of a project in order to pass a class.

Compulsory .. even once ... is wrong. It doesn't matter if it's once, or twice, or daily, or whatever. Being forced to make a pledge that you do not believe in and do not want to do and that makes you uncomfortable IS WRONG.

It seems some like the OP will find conspiracies where there are none

It seems some, like you, will close their eyes to what is staring them in the face.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
I like how "Nazi" style word is mentioned few times,

Being forced to stand ... right arm extended ... palm facing downard ... and to make a pledge to a country. That IS Nazi style. Go take a look at the Nazi's and their salute and their pledge body language. Then come back and give it another try ....

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   

If you read further in the thread, you will see that the students did indeed have to stand, extend their right arms, palms facing downard, (nazi style) and recite a pledge of allegiance to the country of Mexico.

That doesn't change the fact that it wasn't mentioned in the title OR more importantly, in the lawsuit, yet you continue to push this "Nazi style" angle.
As if our salute or ritualistically placing the hand on the heart, are ANY different or somehow superior. The addition of he words "Nazi style" is not only unnecessary, but just adds fuel to the sensationalistic fire.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
It's the bigger picture here that some of you are forgetting. The school punished this girl for not wanting to do the Mexican pledge. So why was she punished? Assignment or not. She chose not to and offered a perfectly good alternative. And the teacher sought retribution on this girl. Period.

How many times have we heard stories about students being asked to remove their shirts because it had an American flag on it? How many times have we heard stories of Mexican flags being flown above the American flag on schools? How many times have we heard of students being punished for being patriotic towards THIS country, because it would "offend the Mexican population"??

At what point does this stop? At what point does this country stop being a bunch of appeasing pansies?? This is America. This is not Mexico. But the border states are slowly becoming surrogates of it. And our limp wristed, politically correct people in this country just bend over and say "oh hey it's no big deal" or "oh we are all immigrants". Well no. I'm an American. I was born here. My parents were born here. Their parents were born here. I am of German and Irish decent. I don't call myself a German American, or an Irish American.. I am an AMERICAN. I salute the AMERICAN flag. It's high time people remember where the hell they live.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by DerekJR321

How was she punished? She refused to do the assignment and was given a failing grade. That's not punishment, it's a grade.

Neither was she "forced" to do anything. She refused to do the assignment and was graded as such.

I do agree that she offered a perfect alternative, but I can see how the teacher wouldn't want to give special treatment.
edit on 3/1/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by digital01anarchy

if she is half mexican she is not fluent in spanish, she is fluent in mexican spanish. it would be akin to me going to england and having a conversation w an englishmen.
lol

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by BASSPLYR

ok so when you were in english class did they teach you to say water closet for bathroom or spell color colour? its the same difference between american english and english from england and the difference betwwen the way welsh or irish or scottish use the language. you guys are grasping at straws, how many spaniards live in america? ok now how many mexicans live here? so you think learning spanish from spain is going to help you communicate better in this day and age? come on guys lets be real.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   

That doesn't change the fact that it wasn't mentioned in the title OR more importantly, in the lawsuit, yet you continue to push this "Nazi style" angle.

SO WHAT if it wasn't mentioned in the title or the lawsuit?
IT IS WHAT HAPPENED.
She was punished for refusing to SALUTE and recite the Mexican pledge.
That's the fact of it. Deal with it.

The addition of he words "Nazi style" is not only unnecessary, but just adds fuel to the sensationalistic fire.

No ... it's a description of exactly what happened.

Forcing children to stand .... right arm extended ... palm facing down ... and repeat a pledge to a country. That's very much NAZI. I'll say it again ... NAZI NAZI NAZI. Take a long look at the Nazi salute and then take a look at what the Spanish teacher demanded of the students ... a Nazi style salute.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy nut
sounds like that kid had some indoctrinating of her own. its ok for her father to marry a mexican immigrant, for their daughter to speak spanish but god forbid they learn the mexican anthem?

They didn't 'forbid her from learning the mexican anthem'.
She said she didn't want to make the pledge.
To her, reciting it is making the pledge.
Other students didn't have to say the pledge to the USA.
There is no reason for her to have to say the pledge to Mexico.
It's obviously bias on the part of the teacher ... not the student.

out of all the points i have made, u cherry picked that one? ok again, no one forced her to do it, her conscientious objection was acknowledged and she was given an alternative assignment. the big question here, and to be fair to all of you against the schools actions is, did she honestly fail the alternative assignment or did the teacher fail her out of spite?

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

How was she punished? She refused to do the assignment and was given a failing grade. That's not punishment, it's a grade.

That's not what happened. Go back and read the information.

Neither was she "forced" to do anything. She refused to do the assignment and was graded as such.

Again .. that's not what happened. Go back and read the information.

Obviously the hispanic teacher, who was in the very start of her first year teaching, exercised a vendetta against the student. The student is fluent in spanish and her mother is from mexico, and yet the teacher gave her a failing grade for an alternate project on Mexican independence that the school came up with for her to do.

And a failing grade given by a teacher out of spite is definately a punishment, not just a grade.

but I can see how the teacher wouldn't want to give special treatment.

Spin spin spin.
The teacher wasn't asked to give 'special treatment and you know it. The student expected to be treated like the other students who 'opted out' of having to say a pledge to a country ... like the other students who 'opted out' of having to recite from the American historical documents.

What is amazing is that there are people here who refuse to admit that the teacher was wrong for demanding that the students salute Mexico and pledge allegiance to Mexico. You people would be okay with your kid being in a school and having them have to give a Nazi style salute and pledge to governments around the world, all the while being led to do so by a person in authority who hails from that country or culture? Even when your kid was highly uncomfortable doing so .. you'd still back the 'teacher'?? Really?? Wow. I find that really bizarre.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy nut
did she honestly fail the alternative assignment or did the teacher fail her out of spite?

The student speaks fluent spanish. Her mother is from Mexico.
She's in a bi-cultural household near the Mexican border.
And yet she supposedly pulled an 'F' on a Mexican Independence project
in her third year of Spanish classes??

That just doesn't sound right.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

you knew what i was talking about. la raza or not if it indeed turns out that the teacher is in some way or form trying to indoctrinate the children then i do agree with you, that would not be cool. she was never "forced" to recite the mexican pledge, as she wouldn't have been "forced" to recite the american pledge either. she was given an alternative assignment on the the independence of mexico, not name 5 reasons why mexico is superior to america!
lets see how the lawsuit pans out and if any proof of the teachers radical mexican tendencies come out.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join