It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Student Punished for Refusing to Salute and Recite Mexican Pledge

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy nut
reply to post by pheonix358

there is a huge difference from reciting a pledge of allegiance for a spanish class and actually literally pledging your allegiance to another country. if that's what the teachers were shooting for than i'm right there with you guys on objecting to that assignment.

But through reduction we come to a certain point.. Why should we pledge allegience to a line on a map, drawn by people who only want power and money?

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   
i seriously doubt the teachers were trying to get their students to literally "pledge" their allegiance to mexico. they were asked to memorize and recite the pledge for an assignment for spanish class. the girl in question was not "forced" to do anything, her conscientious objection was acknowledged as would have been her conscientious objection to reciting the american pledge of allegiance. she was given an alternative assignment and got an F on it, now if the teachers somehow gave her an F out of spite then houston or in this case mcallen we have a problem.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy nut

well to be fair I posted that YESTERDAY. I think you confused me with someone else. I only edited a word and spelling I think.

Would you see her being forced to recite a prayer of the Koran which dedicated her soul to Allah as OK for a theology class?

Some things should simply be respected. She had every right to object.

edit on 1-3-2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 03:47 AM
link   

i seriously doubt the teachers were trying to get their students to literally "pledge" their allegiance to mexico. they were asked to memorize and recite the pledge for an assignment for spanish class. the girl in question was not "forced" to do anything, her conscientious objection was acknowledged as would have been her conscientious objection to reciting the american pledge of allegiance. she was given an alternative assignment and got an F on it, now if the teachers somehow gave her an F out of spite then houston or in this case mcallen we have a problem.

Really you believe that student is going to have the file or hard copy of the assignment lol so the teacher will have to supply the evidence which will come up "missing" then the board of education will take the teachers word because of basis of the allowed other assignment in place of the pledge.

This is as silly as the teacher who deemed a peanut butter and jelly sandwich racist. Spain created Spanish, the English created English. No reason for the Mexican pledge of allegiance anywhere in Spanish class!

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 03:55 AM
link   
The student should have just recited the pledge. Now she failed her alternative assignment and wants to sue the school district? I don't think this is a case the girl can when. Shes just being a brat. Its normal to learn about other countries and traditions when taking another language. I'm with the teacher and this girl is an idiot.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 04:21 AM
link   
The student should have just recited the pledge. Now she failed her alternative assignment and wants to sue the school district? I don't think this is a case the girl can when. Shes just being a brat. Its normal to learn about other countries and traditions when taking another language. I'm with the teacher and this girl is an idiot.

really what language was it? Mexican? She can speak Spanish fluently. The article state that they had to salute the Mexican flag as well! Why if its just an assignment would you need to salute their flag? damn read the article next time!

A Texas high school student has filed a federal lawsuit against her school and her teachers after she was punished for refusing to salute and recite the Mexican pledge of allegianc

edit on 1-3-2013 by digital01anarchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by digital01anarchy

really what language was it? Mexican? She can speak Spanish fluently. The article state that they had to salute the Mexican flag as well! Why if its just an assignment would you need to salute their flag? damn read the article next time!

A Texas high school student has filed a federal lawsuit against her school and her teachers after she was punished for refusing to salute and recite the Mexican pledge of allegianc

Clearly shes not fluent if shes taking a Spanish class....if she was she would have tested out. Language classes often include lessons on cultures where the language is spoken thats why the assignment was given. The issue is not about her saluting, she refused to recite it period. So the fact that saluting was part of the assignment is neither here nor there.
edit on 1-3-2013 by acmpnsfal because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:07 AM
link   
School officials should be charged with treason ...

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by acmpnsfal

Originally posted by digital01anarchy

Clearly shes not fluent if shes taking a Spanish class....if she was she would have tested out. Language classes often include lessons on cultures where the language is spoken thats why the assignment was given. The issue is not about her saluting, she refused to recite it period. So the fact that saluting was part of the assignment is neither here nor there.

The students mother is an immigrant from Mexico and the student herself is fluent in Spanish. So this is not a case of a student not wanting to do the project because she couldn't do it ... it was a matter of ethics and loyalty for her. And considering that this student is fluent in Spanish and has a mother who immigrated from Mexico, I'm wondering how on Earth she could have 'failed' the alternate assignment on the independence of Mexico.

clearly she isn't fluent lol

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by digital01anarchy

She may speak fluently because she speaks Spanish at home but that doesn't make her fluent. To be fluent you have to also be able to write it correctly which she probably cannot do if shes taking the class. Also, her family may speak it in slang in which case she has to learn how to speak it correctly. Either way shes taking the class so she isn't great at it.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   

sounds like that kid had some indoctrinating of her own. its ok for her father to marry a mexican immigrant, for their daughter to speak spanish but god forbid they learn the mexican anthem?

They didn't 'forbid her from learning the mexican anthem'.
She said she didn't want to make the pledge.
To her, reciting it is making the pledge.
Other students didn't have to say the pledge to the USA.
There is no reason for her to have to say the pledge to Mexico.
It's obviously bias on the part of the teacher ... not the student.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by acmpnsfal

I took Spanish because the Italian and French courses were full. I kept with it as an easy A so I could focus on other areas I needed extra time for. I would study math in Spanish class /do homework or quiet reading or just act as a teachers aid. I taught when no substitute was available. I was 100% fluent in Castilian Spanish.

It is not so cut and dry as you would think. Sometimes a school is overbooked for some courses and you get stuck taking something you have no interest in at all....

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by cripmeister

Originally posted by beezzer
How many English classes on foreign soil make the students recite The Pledge of Allegiance?

Mexico perhaps? I doubt anyone there objects to it.

And you base that on what?
1 - You have no idea if there are English classes in Mexico.
2 - You have no idea if they force the students to say the American Pledge.
3 - You have no idea if anyone there objects or not.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   

what makes you think there is some sort of political agenda?

Geee .. let's see ...

The students are allowed to 'opt out' of the American Pledge and reciting the American documents in history class if they object to them ... but the same option isn't given to students in the Spanish class .. which is taught by a teacher with a Spanish heritiage.

Then the same spanish teacher, from a spanish heritiage, gives a failing grade to the student who is a fluent spanish speaker and who has a mother from Mexico so she's well versed in Mexican issues.

Hmmmm ... what makes you think that there ISN"T an agenda there?

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I agree 100%.

It absolutely is a political agenda. The first stages of social engineering are the removal of all prestige and values a society has so it is easier to replace them with what ever values one needs for that society to have.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   

if it turns out the teacher was a full blown member of la raza indoctrinating her students to take mcallen back in the name of mexico well then i'll be a monkeys uncle.

So it can only be an agenda on the part of the teacher if she's a member of La Raza?
Really? Being that the teacher is hispanic and is pushing Mexican allegience and
gives a failing grade to a 1/2 Mexican student who is fluent in Spanish ... and being
that the school allows for 'objectors' not to have to say the American pledge or recite
from American historical documents .... none of that matters?? The only thing that
matters is if the teacher is a member of La Raza?

You can look up to see if the teacher .. REYNA SANTOS .. is a member of La Raza or not.
But I doubt that the organization publishes a list of who is a member or sympathizer and
who isn't.

The Board of Directors for La Raza lists Jenny Santos as heading the La Raza Youth Leadership. Considering that SANTOS is a popular hispanic name, I don't know if she is related to the teacher Reyna Santos .. but you can always check if you want.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by acmpnsfal
She may speak fluently because she speaks Spanish at home but that doesn't make her fluent.

The news reports say she is a fluent spanish speaker.

Either way shes taking the class so she isn't great at it

You don't know that. My daughter is hispanic and the hispanic girls she spends time with at her high school are fluent in spanish but they are taking Spanish 2-4 for two reasons ... one is because their parents expect it .. and the second reason is because it's an easy 'A' for them on their report card.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
So as part of a class she has to do some work in that class that involves reciting some Spanish?

Oh Noes.... it must be Anti-American!!

Grrrrr

Rabble Rabble

dey durka durr

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by tadaman
Would you see her being forced to recite a prayer of the Koran which dedicated her soul to Allah as OK for a theology class?

Excellent point. The student was uncomfortable saying a pledge. Just like some people would be uncomfortable saying a prayer that they didnt' believe in. The student shouldn't be punished for not wanting to say a pledge .. she probably looks at it the same way that people look at saying a prayer.... words have power and meaning.

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
So as part of a class she has to do some work in that class that involves reciting some Spanish?

You didn't read the thread, did you?

Right back atchya.

I suggest you read the thread.

The fluently speaking spanish student wasn't required to 'recite some spanish'. She was required to make the Mexican Pledge. And instead of being allowed to opt out of it, like all students are allowed to opt out of the American pledge, she was given a bad treatment and a failing grade by her teacher of hispanic heritage.
edit on 3/1/2013 by FlyersFan because: fixed quote

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join